Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2024, 22:57   #16

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: EcoTec watermaker help needed.

Did you use your TDS meter on the product water from the bench test?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 11:08   #17

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Did you use your TDS meter on the product water from the bench test?
No I did not, I wasn't present when it was tested. The tech is coming out to the boat today to look at the system. I'll have a chance to go over his bench test process and readings. I'll ask him to compare my testers to his.

I have compared my tester(s) against other cruisers in the anchorage and they read very similar to others. Also test bottled water and marina water and both of those were low.

Craig
AZ_Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 08:51   #18

One more update. It looks like it is the seals in the High Pressure pump. We measured the discharge volume and it was very low at the 850-900 psi.
We're in the process of ordering new seals and hope to have them installed in a week. We're in Antigua and this weekend starts sail week so we don't mind being here at all.

One last note is that our membrane tested less than 180 PPM when it was bench tested.

,Craig
Old 25-04-2024, 19:04   #19

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Zoner View Post
One more update. It looks like it is the seals in the High Pressure pump. We measured the discharge volume and it was very low at the 850-900 psi.
We're in the process of ordering new seals and hope to have them installed in a week. We're in Antigua and this weekend starts sail week so we don't mind being here at all.

One last note is that our membrane tested less than 180 PPM when it was bench tested.

,Craig

I don't see how the pump can be causing high reading TDS. The SW30 test regime (per the Filmtec tech papers is 800 psi - the maximum is 1000psi)
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 04:28   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
I don't see how the pump can be causing high reading TDS. The SW30 test regime (per the Filmtec tech papers is 800 psi - the maximum is 1000psi)
My understanding from the tec is that you also must have volume for a membrane to work correctly. Our pumps volume output reduced by over 50% from low pressure to around 850PSI.
Once our high pressure seals are replaced I'll up date our results. Hopefully the first of next week.

Craig
Old 26-04-2024, 08:51   #21

For the record the World Health Organization (WHO) consider a TDS of 600 PPM to be the upper limit for drinking water. We used a water maker throughout a circumnavigation starting with a production rate of 5 GPH but we quickly upgraded the system to 10 GPH because the cost was the same: at the time about 45 amp hours. As most folks know, there are much less costly systems to operate available now: under 20 amp hours for about 10 GPH.

Our product was usually under 190 PPM although as the membrane aged, product TDS would rise. As well, in the seas vice oceans like the Red Sea, PPM would be higher as the sea water was more saline. As well GPH product would be lower. We changed out the membrane, prefilter and filter fairly often. Given average ocean water TDS of around 25,000 PPM, we would expect a new membrane product to be 250 PPM but we always found our readings to be under 200 ?? Note, we routinely made the actual drinking water into a separate jerry jug to avoid any tanky taste.Ten years of drinking lots of this stuff gave rise to absolutely no negative health issues.

On a side note, in Ashkelon, Israel at the marina, we happened to meet an American working for WHO whose mission was to improve drinking water in nearby Gaza. His objective was to get the drinking water there under 1000 PPM !!
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 08:40   #22

Hi Craig - You need to do a chemical cleaning on that membrane you have had in service 3 months. They get fouled with biological, oil and scale, specially if your making water on the hook in site of land. Get both ALKALINE & ACID Descal membrane cleaner. Recirculate one at a time 1.5 hrs each. When membrane is fouled or the sea water is too cold, the result is: Increased salanity, increase membrane pressure, reduced product flow. 900 psig is too much pressure! Back it down below 825psi and just enough pressure to hold 13GPH on your flow meter.
Not knowing what sea your in and the tempature, a new or good clean membrane will always have 1% of salt left in the Product Water. Thus at 800 psig you should see:
Pacific: 42,000 - 54,000PPM = 420 - 540 PPM Product
Atlantic & Carribean: 24,000 - 36,000 PPM = 240 - 360 PPM Product
Last, a new membrane will have a life of 5 - 8 years max. (every chemical clean takes a life, 3 - 5 cleaning max and it is oxidized the flux)
Hope this helps and we have a 24/7 Watermaker Tech Free Trouble Shooting via Whatsapp: +507-385-5658
If you need membrane cleaning powder or anyother parts we ship worlwide from our FL, Ca or Panama locations. Best, Desmond at Hydromundo Watermaker Store
Hydromundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 07:20   #23

The problem is I've tried two brand new membranes and both were high. I was able to get the membrane tested in the canister and it tested below woo almost down in the lower 100 ppm. So I don't believe its the membrane.
I hope to receive out high pressure pump head back today with new seals. This should resolve our volumes flow issue and well see what happens.

Ill update with the results when completed.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydromundo View Post
Hi Craig - You need to do a chemical cleaning on that membrane you have had in service 3 months. They get fouled with biological, oil and scale, specially if your making water on the hook in site of land. Get both ALKALINE & ACID Descal membrane cleaner. Recirculate one at a time 1.5 hrs each. When membrane is fouled or the sea water is too cold, the result is: Increased salanity, increase membrane pressure, reduced product flow. 900 psig is too much pressure! Back it down below 825psi and just enough pressure to hold 13GPH on your flow meter.
Not knowing what sea your in and the tempature, a new or good clean membrane will always have 1% of salt left in the Product Water. Thus at 800 psig you should see:
Pacific: 42,000 - 54,000PPM = 420 - 540 PPM Product
Atlantic & Carribean: 24,000 - 36,000 PPM = 240 - 360 PPM Product
Last, a new membrane will have a life of 5 - 8 years max. (every chemical clean takes a life, 3 - 5 cleaning max and it is oxidized the flux)
Hope this helps and we have a 24/7 Watermaker Tech Free Trouble Shooting via Whatsapp: +507-385-5658
If you need membrane cleaning powder or anyother parts we ship worlwide from our FL, Ca or Panama locations. Best, Desmond at Hydromundo Watermaker Store
Old 07-05-2024, 07:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Zoner View Post
The problem is I've tried two brand new membranes and both were high. I was able to get the membrane tested in the canister and it tested below woo almost down in the lower 100 ppm. So I don't believe its the membrane.
I hope to receive out high pressure pump head back today with new seals. This should resolve our volumes flow issue and well see what happens.

Ill update with the results when completed.

Craig
Hi Craig - Good going. Yes, agreed. Not a membrane problem, as long as your testing the quality directly out the Product Port, BEFORE any valves, meters, tank, ect.. but, a leaking O-ring or other. Do change the Product Tube O-rings on both end caps and lubricate the surface area on the membrane product tube and the O-rings with Silicon O-ring Grease or a dab of Liquid Dish Soap when loading the membrane. Any slight O-ring leak can give hi salinity. Also, inspect the Pressure Vessel End Plugs closely under good light to insure no micro cracks under and where the O-Rings set. NOTE: The first up to 10 hrs. making water with a new membrane will give lower then average Product Quality until the Flux in the membrane seats and stablizes. It is a temporary effect. This is why you got a low 100 ppm TDS from. What is the location of your vessel? Hope this helps. Very Best, Desmond @ Hydromundo
Old 22-05-2024, 09:51   #25

Follow up,
I was able to get the system re-assembled after having the high presser pump rebuild with new seals. It started out great until a hi pressure hose blew.
Yesterday I was able to get a new hose made in Martinique and once again it is showing promise that it is working. The PPMs are better at low 400s but not great. Much better than the 700 to 800 we have seen. The water does taste great though so for now I'll leave it alone. We may go to Trinidad this summer so I'll hit up the EchoTec shop and see what they say.

Thanks for all the help and input.

Craig
Old 22-05-2024, 12:20   #26

Your Welcome Craig - Glad you got it going and Product Salinity improved.
You can let it go to the tank at 800ppm max.

Think you will be ready for new membranes by Trinadad.

We ship membranes world wide from our UAS Factory and Free Shipping in the USA. Give us a try when your in the mkt. for membranes.

Best,

Desmond Desmond@hydromundo.com
Old 22-05-2024, 12:35   #27

The thing is, this is a brand new membrane. I've bought two in the last couple of months.

cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydromundo View Post
Your Welcome Craig - Glad you got it going and Product Salinity improved.
You can let it go to the tank at 800ppm max.

Think you will be ready for new membranes by Trinadad.

We ship membranes world wide from our UAS Factory and Free Shipping in the USA. Give us a try when your in the mkt. for membranes.

Best,

Desmond Desmond@hydromundo.com

Tags
water, watermaker