Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 09:37   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: electric heads

Your experience with that particular Jabsco "conversion" isn't typical...at least not of owners here in the US, especially the part about "built like tanks"...here, they have very short lifespans. That may be a function of WHERE they're built...the old Brydon Boy, which was a Canadian version of the Jabsco manual toilet WAAAY outlasted anything Jabsco has ever made for US distribution! In fact their entire line is considered the bottom of the marine toilet "food chain" here. Other factors that most people consider a drawback to your toilet is the power consumption--a whopping 24 amps, compared to only 16 for most other macerating electric macerating toilets...Noise...enough to wake the dead. And they cost more than most other complete macerating electric toilets. So I've never been able to recommend it. But if you're happy with it, who am I to say you shouldn't be!

A couple of points about electric toilets in general: none of 'em need any lubrication. And a weekly cupful (any more is wasted) of undiluted distilled white vinegar flushed completely through the hoses will prevent sea water mineral buildup far better than just a rinse with fresh water...although the fresh water does help to keep intake odor at bay. A timer on the flush button makes sure that the toilet is flushed just long enough but not too long.

And btw...I'd estimate that guests are responsible for AT LEAST 95% of all toilet clogs! I lay some of that blame on owners who consider proper operation of the toilet and what cannot go into one to be too delicate a subject to bring up. The rest I blame on guests who cannot seem to grasp that NOTHING except what they've eaten first and a minimal amount of the TP provided--and ONLY that TP--means "nothing else." They're never invited back onto MY boat.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:50   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I've owned 2 for a bit over 5 years that were originally installed 9 years ago. So far no issues. They claim to be quiet flush, but only when compared to a chain saw. Mine are rigged for fresh water flush. One thing to be aware of is that the soleoid valves controlling the flush water are seated by water pressure. If you turn off your pressurized water system when you leave the boat you'll drain your water tank into the bilge through the head. Don't ask me how I found that out.
That's an installation error, Bill...not the way that solenoid valve is supposed to work. There's more than one type of solenoid valve...and I suspect you used the one that controls the air valve in a vented loop in the intake for a sea water electric toilet instead of the one that controls pressurized flush water.

But connecting any toilet designed to use sea water to your potable water supply is a MAJOR 'no no'...and every toilet mfr specifically warns against doing it in their installation instructions because it cannot be done without risking contaminating the potable water supply or damage to the toilet pump or both. Only toilets specifically designed to use pressurized flush water can safely be connected to the potable water plumbing.

"But we don't drink the water from our tanks," you argue. In fact, you ingest a lot more of it than you realize... You wash your hands in it, then pick up a sandwich. You rinse out a cup or a glass in it, then fill that cup with bottled water...and when you bathe, you get it into every oriface.

So if you want to use fresh water to flush a toilet, install a toilet that's designed to use pressurized flush water and so has all the necessary vacuum breakers, one way valves--and the correct solenoid valve--included.
Old 18-03-2011, 09:50   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
guests are responsible for AT LEAST 95% of all toilet clogs! I lay some of that blame on owners who consider proper operation of the toilet and what cannot go into one to be too delicate a subject to bring up.
A laminated sign in the head could probably help. I always tell guests that even something as small as dental floss could "sink the boat." Probably not toally true, but it sends the right message.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 12:22   #19

Boat: Taswell 49

My boat came to me with a pair of sealand vacuflush heads routed to a single holding tank. Freshwater flushed off the pressurized fw system on the boat. They appear to be well installed and I have never had a problem. I absolutley love them as my kids can easily operate them and landlubbers as well.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 13:15   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post

A couple of points about electric toilets in general: none of 'em need any lubrication. And a weekly cupful (any more is wasted) of undiluted distilled white vinegar flushed completely through the hoses will prevent sea water mineral buildup far better than just a rinse with fresh water...although the fresh water does help to keep intake odor at bay. A timer on the flush button makes sure that the toilet is flushed just long enough but not too long.
Far be it from me to argue with the Toilet Lady, to whom we are all so grateful, but . . . vinegar is only 4 or 5 percent acetic acid. Is cupful really going to do anything? I prefer to do the following - when leaving the boat, first shut off supply seacock. Then, put the shower head into the toilet and flush through with fresh water. Then, put in half a bottle of Harpic (reasonably concentrated hydrochloric acid). flush through the pipes. Let stand for an hour. Then flush out thoroughly with fresh water from the shower head. Then shut off discharge seacock. Leave boat.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 13:45   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
They claim to be quiet flush, but only when compared to a chain saw.
I second that!!! We don't normally flush it at night due to the noise. So in the morning when I go #1 (after my wife has gone in the middle of the night) it is getting kind of full. Of course that's how she know it's time to get up; when the head flush "alarm" goes off after my morning coffee kicks in to #2.

But we do like the idea that if it gets past the head into the holding tank then it's pretty much a given we can pump the tank out!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 17:24   #22
Marine Service Provider

You don't have to take my word for it, but a weekly dose of WHITE vinegar does work. And you don't have to use the shower head after it.
Old 18-03-2011, 17:31   #23
Marine Service Provider

There's actually very little that could make it through ANY toilet--macerated or not--that you wouldn't be able to pump out...it's getting it through the toilet pump and plumbing TO the tank that can be problematic. Solid waste is 75% water and so dissolves very quickly IN water...quick-dissolve TP practically dissolves in your hand if it even gets damp (and even a major overload that clogs the plumbing initially will dissolve on its own in an hour or two). It's the toilet pump that almost always "chokes" on the things that it never should have been asked to swallow in the first place...and anything that can't make it through a manual toilet is also likely to choke a macerating electric toilet.
Old 18-03-2011, 17:57   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
and anything that can't make it through a manual toilet is also likely to choke a macerating electric toilet.
Sort of a lessor of to evils.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 15:21   #25

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler

i had a girlfriend who was fond of putting her disposable make-up removal wipe down the toilet. the manual jabsco pushed it into the holding tank but the macerator couldn't deal with it. despite many requests it kept happening (hours of smelly labor and $$ spent on new macerators). i think her red wine intake had something to do with it.
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 15:56   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Ryder View Post
i had a girlfriend who was fond of putting her disposable make-up removal wipe down the toilet. the manual jabsco pushed it into the holding tank but the macerator couldn't deal with it. despite many requests it kept happening (hours of smelly labor and $$ spent on new macerators). i think her red wine intake had something to do with it.
You DID say "had" (past tense) a girlfriend? If not she should be, because her complete disregard for what shouldn't go into the loo is indicative of her attitude to toward anything else, with or without the red wine.

She prob'ly wonders why all her boyfriends keep dumping her...
Old 26-03-2011, 13:03   #27

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler

hi peggie,

firstly, i have been enjoying your book, "Getting Rid of Boat Odors", which is full of lots of great info, so thank you.

and to answer your question, yes, she is history. perhaps i should write a book entitled, "Getting Rid of Bad Girlfriends". it would be full of lots of good info too, especially useful to the younger sailors out there. maybe they can learn from my (many) costly mistakes and save themselves a lot of hassle!
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 19:11   #28
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the kind words about the book! Gorgeous boat, btw!
Old 26-03-2011, 22:18   #29

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

Peghall,

We have an old Groco manual pump that I rebuilt once (fresh water system), and it seems to work almost as good as the toilet at home. My wife would like something more automatic in function, and I've been considering replacing our old Groco with their K series Electric Deluxe Toilet. Any comments on this model?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 22:39   #30

Boat: PETERSON 44

vacu flush by sealand if going electric flush its better then home. lavac if its a manual head. My very opinionated opinion these are the best and only toilets I will install in a boat i own
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote