Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2021, 02:35   #1
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Electric replacement options for small bowl jabsco manual

SWMBO wants the manual consigned to the briny

What are the options to replace a small bowl jabsco manual with electric. I’d prefer a quieter diaphragm pump ( I think ) but I’ve great respect for the noisy but very effective mascerating jabsco having had one before

I also need the electric to be able to pump air to clear the rising section to the holding tank so I’m concerned the mascerator types arnt good for that. As the typically don’t have separate wet dry cycles.

I seen good value offering under the name ocean technologies which is a brand from a big Italian marine manufacturer

All idea welcome , the space is constrained so it has to fit where the small bowl jabsco is and I’m tight for motor space at the rear

Are there toilets with a separate pump I could mount elsewhere
Old 10-10-2021, 03:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Electric replacement options for small bowl jabsco manual

Peggy Hall is definitely CF’s [& world’s] leading authority on all things ‘Marine Sanitation’:
peghall ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...all-52296.html

Here’s one of her many valuable contributions on the subject of Electric Toilets:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tml#post790714

More ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rchid=34578418

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:57   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I replaced my manual Jabsco head with the Raritan Marine Elegance earlier this year.
Also new plumbing, holding tank, valves, etc and and salt/fresh water switch.
SWMBO loves it.

https://www.raritaneng.com/en_US/pro...arine-elegance
Old 10-10-2021, 04:37   #4
Nearly an old salt

There is a jabsco quiet flush upgrade , but will these types of pumps pump dry to clear the uphill line to the holding tank.

I can rig up a fresh water or seawater pump anyway easy enough and a simple electronic timer etc

I’m at METS in Nov , think I’ll have a rummage around.

Whatever I’m doing I want everything accessible
Old 10-10-2021, 04:39   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I replaced my manual Jabsco head with the Raritan Marine Elegance earlier this year.
Also new plumbing, holding tank, valves, etc and and salt/fresh water switch.
SWMBO loves it.

https://www.raritaneng.com/en_US/pro...arine-elegance

Thanks I can’t use any of these fancy enclosed types as I don’t have space on the grp moulding shelf.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:48   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Thanks I can’t use any of these fancy enclosed types as I don’t have space on the grp moulding shelf.
I don’t have much space either, barely enough for the old Jabsco head, but the Raritan is compact and a good fit for a small boat.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

The Jabsco 37010 is their basic electric macerating toilet. Jabsco 37010 Series Electric Toilet It's available as a complete toilet or as a"conversion kit" (part # Jabsco Electric Toilet Conversion Kit 37010-00920) that allows you to keep your bowl, seat and lid. Pump/motor assembly can be aimed out the rear or to either side. It's available from most US retailers for about USD $400...available for a comparable price from JabscoShop in the UK
https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/ma...nv-kit-12v.htm

I recommend this one because the sea water Quiet Flush "conversions" require a remote intake pump...the 37010 conversion uses a combination pump/motor assembly on which the bowl sits.

I also recommend that you get the upgraded flush panel that provides 3 options: bring in water only, dry flush, and simultaneous "wet" flush.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:53   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The Jabsco 37010 is their basic electric macerating toilet. Jabsco 37010 Series Electric Toilet It's available as a complete toilet or as a"conversion kit" (part # Jabsco Electric Toilet Conversion Kit 37010-00920) that allows you to keep your bowl, seat and lid. Pump/motor assembly can be aimed out the rear or to either side. It's available from most US retailers for about USD $400...available for a comparable price from JabscoShop in the UK
https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/ma...nv-kit-12v.htm

I recommend this one because the sea water Quiet Flush "conversions" require a remote intake pump...the 37010 conversion uses a combination pump/motor assembly on which the bowl sits.

I also recommend that you get the upgraded flush panel that provides 3 options: bring in water only, dry flush, and simultaneous "wet" flush.

--Peggie

I thought the unit you mentioned can’t do dry flush. I had one of those, in my previous boat , the intake impeller is connected to the macerate shaft. Hence I understand they can’t dry flush and that means I can’t empty the rising hose to the holding tank.

I suspect I need a diaphragm based outlet pump.

This is why I think i need separate intake and output pumps.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:47   #9

Boat: Swanson 42

We originally had a Raritan manual that we changed to the basic Jabsco electric std bowl with the combo macerator/pump. We routinely had problems with this, replacing the macerator/pump unit several times. We then upgraded that to the Jabsco Quiet Flush 37245-1092 Household (larger) bowl. We live aboard and the toilet has worked faultlessly since install over 3 years ago. The key to this toilet design's success in my view is that you have the ability to select one of three operating functions, either: 1) Flush with both seawater inlet pump and macerator output pump running together (this is the normal operation setting) or 2) Just the seawater inlet; or 3) just the Macerator output pump. These 3 options are a game changer when trying to manage any minor blockages - which invariably occur from time to time. The only problem we had was recently (after 3 years) the outlet hose became blocked at the seacock with calcium build up. We solved that by simply replacing the hose and cleaning the internal parts of the seacock whilst the hose was off. There are of course other ways of preventing too much calcium build up but if all we have to do is a bi annual replacement of the hose I think that is an acceptable preventative maintenance interval.
Kekaimalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 14:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

I mis-spoke when I suggested the 3 option flush panel...those can't work with sea water toilets that have integral intake/discharge pumps. You'd have to go with a remote intake pump or a toilet designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water. Those don't have an intake pump, they have solenoid valves in the intake plumbing.

I know of no macerating electric toilets that have diaphragm discharge pumps. A remote intake pump should give you the ability to use the 3 option flush panel, which will allow you to bring water into the bowl...dry flushing shouldn't be a problem 'cuz unless your toilet discharge line is exceptionally long, the toilet would only run dry for the last 3-5 seconds, not long enough to do any damage to the impeller, especially since there will always be just a few ounces of water left to run back downhill...less than 1/2 cup (50 ml).

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 16:36   #11

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

I've converted Jabsco manual to electric on two of my boats.

Just put a regular macerator pump on drain side and a regular water pump on inlet. Used a double throw double pole switch. When I push switch up it powers inlet and outlet pumps. When pushed down only the outlet pump. Has worked perfectly for a total of over 10 years.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jabsco, men