Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 07:02   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
ElectroScan brine tank - coloring the brine.

My boat is docked up the New River in Fort Lauderdale, and while it is tidal the salinity is low enough that my ElectroScan MSD is warning me about low electrode amps. Fortunately I found the the PO had installed a 2 gallon brine tank, so I just need to fill it up.

But, that got me thinking - how will I know, without periodically inspecting the tank level, whether I'm getting brine flow into the toilet bowl. I though that if I added some colorant to the brine, I would easily be able to see, just by looking in the bowl, whether the brine is getting where it needs to go. If I use food-grade coloring it should present no problem to the ElectroScan. Any thoughts, pro or con?

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:12   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: ElectroScan brine tank - coloring the brine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
My boat is docked up the New River in Fort Lauderdale, and while it is tidal the salinity is low enough that my ElectroScan MSD is warning me about low electrode amps. Fortunately I found the the PO had installed a 2 gallon brine tank, so I just need to fill it up.

But, that got me thinking - how will I know, without periodically inspecting the tank level, whether I'm getting brine flow into the toilet bowl. I though that if I added some colorant to the brine, I would easily be able to see, just by looking in the bowl, whether the brine is getting where it needs to go. If I use food-grade coloring it should present no problem to the ElectroScan. Any thoughts, pro or con?

Regards,
David.
David--

That's not a bad idea although you might need to add quite a bit of coloring to be able to see it as the brine tank uses a super saturated salt concentration so not much is needed in the head. Your low salt indicator will also tell you when you're not getting enough into the system. (Please note, however, that the New River is within a no discharge zone and you should be using shore side facilities rather than the heads aboard the boat unless you're discharging into a holding tank.)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:32   #3

According to the EPA website, the only NDZs in Florida are Destin Harbor, City Of Key West waters, and the Florida Keys Marine Sanctuary. Do you have a reference for the New River NDZ? I want to do the right thing...

https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-...-ndzs-state#fl

Thanks,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 19-03-2017, 16:05   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to egallina

The Electroscan pumps brine into the treatment unit as needed, not the toilet bowl (that is, if you have the Electroscan brine tank with a hose going to the treatment unit). AFAIK Only very old systems injected water into the toilet. I have the 4-gal tank, which is plumbed into my fresh water supply and automatically fills itself. I check it whenever I get consistent Amp readings in the 14-15 range, rather that 18-21, and add water softener salt.
egallina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

I have the 4-gal tank, which is plumbed into my fresh water supply and automatically fills itself.

Yours isn't a brine tank, it's a salt feed tank that loads with rock salt. There are two versions--one with pump, one without.

2 gallon brine tank 2 gallon salt feed tank owners manual
4 gallon salt feed system 4 gallon salt feed tank owners manual
4 gallon salt feed system with pump 4 gal salt feed tank w pump owners manual

It's necessary to create a brine solution to fill the 2 gallon brine tank..a lot of people make enough to fill a bunch of 1-gallon milk jugs 'cuz you can go through it fairly quickly.

The two 4 gallon systems are loaded with rock salt.... solar salt is recommended.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 07:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
It's necessary to create a brine solution to fill the 2 gallon brine tank..a lot of people make enough to fill a bunch of 1-gallon milk jugs 'cuz you can go through it fairly quickly.
I found that 2.5 gallon pool chlorine jugs work very nicely, after suitable rinsing of course. The jugs are square-sided, so use up less space.

The jugs I have are a little bit different, in that they have a vent cap too, which really helps to reduce spillage.

Fortunately I only need the brine solution when at the dock, far enough up the New River in Fort Lauderdale that the salinity is too low. When I head off cruising I likely won't have that problem...

-David