Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 16:55   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Eletro magnetic clutch for watermaker pump

Be interesting to know if a pump pulls more than a very high amp alternator.
I'd be surprised if it did.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:58   #17

Yeah, I don't think it will. The 100 amp alternator on the 3GM30 pulled it down more than the watermaker pump ever did.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 06:19   #18

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I remodeled my 120V AC water maker into engine driven. It had a Cat pump I mounted on the engine. It was pretty easy to find a 12V clutch for the Cat pump. Is yours tapered shaft or straight shaft? Metric or inch shaft?
My original AC unit was 1.5 HP direct driven. It had 3 membranes and put out 25 GPH water.
As far as the clutch, I tried getting them at junkyards, but all auto AC units are tapered, where Cat pump shaft is straight. After years of searching for a used one on ebay I ended up buying a new Cat pump clutch for 220$. It was made to fit cat 290 and pumps with same shaft diameter. (0.65" or 16.5mm) Those clutches will rust very fast. Mine already looks used and abused and its been 2 seasons. I like the Cat 290 b/c even though its chromed brass, parts are cheap and used parts and pumps are readily available on ebay. This a one of the most popular carwash pumps. So i have spares. For DIY if you make a mistake that damages the pump, spares are available and even used pumps are cheap. For instance i cracked the outlet manifold one time, and another time vibrations were so large that one of the two bolts(they are zinc plated steel) holding the two manifolds busted.
So i feel like iv'e learned some things over the years and finally, last may after about 6 years of searching ebay I ran into a new (never used, but opened in a box) cat 331, and indeed it showed no sings of ever seeing any water. Ended up paying 350$ for it. Which was an amazing deal. They are usually 3k or so from distributors. So i plan to retrofit the mounts for Cat 331 which i hope is not that far off from 290.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 06:48   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can pop a serpentine belt with a spring tensioned idler off faster than you can check the oil, seriously, no need for a clutch.
Or, use this method
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, water, watermaker