Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2009, 04:57   #31
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
We also have a pressurised saltwater system installed. I took a piece of 4" pvc and mounted it near the head. One of those coiled hoses fits neatly inside. The hose has a trigger garden type sprayer on it. You don't have to prefill bowl just spray clean while pumping in dry mode. Uses way less water so you get many more flushes between pumpouts. Hose reaches bow so it doubles as a means of washing off nasty ground tackle that comes up in septic anchorages. Have to make sure to pump head in wet mode once in a while to refresh line which gets nasty if left sitting too long. I consider saltwater system a must. We wash dishes totally with salt,spray with light bleach solution then quick fresh rinse. System was not expensive. Used diaphram pump cost.$50 from salvage yard, t'd into existing strainer line , garden hose for lines. All under a Cnote. We close all thru-hulls and depower when leaving for shore.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 06:55   #32

Boat: Maine Cat 41
ROFLMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
Finally...an area I can post about with some expertise. About once a week, I dry my bowel an wax the inside. I'm obsessive about cleanliness of the head.
Rebel Heart, what did you ever decide about the Portland Pudgy? I'm thinking about buying one.
jim
OMG too too funny! This has to be one of the funniest ever! Painful too! I mean the thought of drying one's bowel and then waxing the inside followed by the context of a Portland Pudgy!

ROFLMAO
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 07:00   #33

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Pretty crappy topic....but good.
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 09:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjinsan View Post
Well, this thread has so moved me that I decided to try some of this at home since the boat is in the shipyard having her bottom painted...So..I placed the tissue in the bowl NS and EW as instructed. Wanting to be accurate, I got my hand bearing compass out to check my alignment. Yumpping Yimmany...I was off course!! Not wanting to get my dividers wet durring this re positioning, I went to the kitchen, got a pair of chopsticks, grabbed my US Army issue Stocker and Yale compass. There I was, on the floor in front of the toilet, chopsticks in hand when my Japanese wife walked in!!Of course shes the one with the camera around her neck. I wont send along the pics she took. She would not let me see them. I think she sent them to her lawyer.
I guess they were her chopsticks?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 09:16   #35

Flush before using and lay a couple squares of TP on the bowl in the usual problem area....
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 16:56   #36

Boat: a sailing boat
Get a sailing palace with some slaves.

I just grab the brush and clean it then flush again - what is the issue (?) - are you afraid of what you were so happy to eat some hours earlier ?

On a stable boat you can half fill before use, but do not try this on a mono out at sea!

b.
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 18:49   #37

I Just Have to Ask

Quote:
About once a week, I dry my bowel an[d] wax the inside.
I guess you attach the wax to some kind of stick, then?

This thread just keeps on giving…
Old 25-09-2009, 19:13   #38

Waxing the inside of a toilet ???????????????????

LOL'ing away !!!!!!!!

Why not get some teflon spray and just spray the bowl (or is it the bowel? or both?)

Orrrr - attach a mobile with the vibrator on (to the outside of the bowl, please) and call it. I bet it would work!

Please note: the Teflohead and the Shakyloo are registered trademarks. All imitators will be sued, pursued and torpedoed.

silly b.
Old 26-09-2009, 00:24   #39

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
I suppose you've all heard the story about the young woman who was too shy to use the head. She crept out at night and hung her bottom over the stern. In the morning she was awakened by an enraged skipper crying out " Who shat in the dinghy!!??" Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 02:22   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
As Pelagic recomends, we put a cross of toilet paper centered on the drain hole 2 sheets North - South, and 2 sheets E-W. The paper will float on the water and help keep the bowl clean. I first read this system being used by some in hospital bed pans.
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Is that Magnetic or True NSEW and where do you place the compass?
Surely you jest Pelagic, every one knows it must be True NSEW. The science is simple, the earth spins around the its axis which is by definition True NS, not magnetic NS.
It is the combination of the gyroscopic forces and the coriolis effect (I forget the actual equation - just google it) that makes it work so well. Of course, it does work considerably better at the equator compared with higher latitudes due to higher rotational speeds at the equator.

I believe it might have been Newton's 4th law or something.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 06:25   #41

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Agreed but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Surely you jest Pelagic, every one knows it must be True NSEW. The science is simple, the earth spins around the its axis which is by definition True NS, not magnetic NS.
It is the combination of the gyroscopic forces and the coriolis effect (I forget the actual equation - just google it) that makes it work so well. Of course, it does work considerably better at the equator compared with higher latitudes due to higher rotational speeds at the equator.

I believe it might have been Newton's 4th law or something.
...make sure when you cross to the Southern Hemisphere, you reverse everything SNWE
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 11:17   #42

Exactly - we used this technique to judge our position on both of our equator crossings. Alas, when in NZ in 2005 we discovered that on at least one occassion the paper started to swirl in the opposite ("the N hemisphere") direction !!!!

Only later did we learn that on that specific day Tony Blair was visiting Auckland and he had a lanch in a waterfront restaurant almost directly adjacent to our dock! From this experience you can judge how real welcoming the Polynesian nations are !!!!

b.
Old 27-09-2009, 11:46   #43

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
I've been doing some research

As I understand it, little known to most, back in the late 60's/early 70's this technology (or derivative of it) was being used to navigate the globe.
Word has it that only because of the large quantities of Toilet paper that one would have to carry on board, was this technology dropped. Also not wide spread knowledge, I've heard that because it is Satelite independent, it serves as a backup navigation system on the most precious of the Canadian Navy Ships.

Wow, before this thread, I had no clue!

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 14:54   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
mine is constantly in use as i reside aboard--i use splash of vinegar for the salt buildups and odorloss for the chemical to keep fresh and destroy the lumps and bumps---i also use a bit of oil---cooking variety--from canned smoked fish or from whatever source---as i use mine frequently the oil doesnot get gooey, as it will if you are an intermittent boater....and i donot place paper in my toilet ever.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote