Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 11:15   #1

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Engel Portable 12vdc Fridge - Work Inside a Closed Space (Large Icebox)?

Hi Folks,

My huge icebox (top doubles as a nav desk) is roughly 12 - 16 cu ft.
It had a holding plate before I bought the boat, but was dead, and cut off, so I removed it and have just been using it as an icebox. I am in a northern climate, but in the summer three 5 gallon containers of ice will keep it cool for a week, so it is reasonably well insulated.

I am trying to decide between investing in a new compressor and holding plate (or evaporator plate) to make it a fridge again.. OR.. buying a portable model like an Engel, and having the option of keeping it if I ever sell the boat.
I realize that the Engel (35 or 40 quart) for example would have much less volume, but i really only need to keep the meat, milk and a few drinks cool. I can add more drinks as I take them out.

If I buy an Engel, I would like to just set it, or mount it inside the existing icebox. I could then store other non-persihable food (like beer) next to it as well.
Would it run OK and efficiently in a closed environment like that. I would think that it would give off some heat, as it runs. Would it be enough to cause damage to itself, or make it inefficient?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 12:06   #2

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
These portable refrigerator/freezer combos need lots of air circulation. I don't think it would last long in your scenario.
We have a Dometic and it works fine as long as it has plenty if airflow.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 12:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
We have one of the little Waeco CF18 fridges as well as the normal built in fridge. Current draw is about the same at 2-3 amps although the portable is much smaller. However it does have the advantage of being cooled by the car on the way to the boat at the weekends. Only down size is the cost, same as the built in fridge kit and a full sized house fridge over this side of the pond for that matter.

If you are sure you only need a small space then fine, but our portable wasn't big enough so we fitted the built in fridge.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 13:01   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
We have one of the Engel portables and really like it. However, it uses a Danfoss compressor and therefore requires generous airflow. I wouldn't put it inside the freezer.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icebox, refrigerator