Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2022, 04:47   #1

Boat: S&S 52
Filtered water

Good day; We are wondering about water filtration. Right now we are saddly still docked and doing day or weekend sails so I do not want to get the water maker up and running because I do not want to make water in the marina. But I would like to at a filtration system in the boat. I am wondering what others are doing. Just putting a filter under the sink to filter water in the galley, or putting some sort of filter set up right off the water tank before the pump to filter everything that goes through the boat.

What I have been playing with in my head is putting something between the take and the pump, and then a secondary under the galley sink. To say that I do not trust the water in the marinas would be accurate. I just do not want to have a lot of plastic bottles onboard I carry 140 gal in the tank.
Boots and Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 04:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Filtered water

Hi, Boots and Socks,
I found these two references extremely informative:
Sail Delmarva: Drinking Water Filtration--The Short Version
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3694436
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 06:05   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

We run marina water through a 2 micron activated carbon filter when filling the tank and a Sea Gull IV filter to a dedicated tap at the galley sink. This has worked well for us. All food prep water is done from the Sea Gull tap. The Sea Gull Filter and cartridges are not cheap, but the water is very clean coming out of that tap. I don't know how well your idea of putting a filter before the pump will work as it takes a bit of pressure to get through most filters and it will probably restrict the suction side of the pump.

I should also note that we do a chlorine treatment on the tank and all the lines once a year when we are full time cruising and any time the boat has been sitting for 2 months or more unused before going out again. We find that when living aboard and primarily using water maker water we don't get any issues with water quality and the chlorine treatment is just precautionary. When sitting unused we'll get a bit of a mildew smell on the unfiltered taps after a few months. The water coming out of the Sea Gull is smell and taste free even then.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 06:54   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots and Socks View Post
But I would like to at a filtration system in the boat. I am wondering what others are doing. Just putting a filter under the sink to filter water in the galley, or putting some sort of filter set up right off the water tank before the pump to filter everything that goes through the boat.

There are approx. 15 useful threads on water filtration; your search tool (advanced search even better) will find them.

We use external household-size filter housings, sequential filtration at 25/1 micron, then .5 micron.

-Chris
Old 25-11-2022, 08:13   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Chris is correct about doing a search and there have been some recent threads on this subject.

That said, we run a 5 micron carbon w/a household cartridge off the dock spigot for water going into the tanks and a 10 micron spun filter (another household) for the whole boat before the pump. This is to catch larger debris to help save the faucet seals.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water