Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 08:36   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Filters on drinking water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _m_miles View Post
I just installed a Pur filter on my faucet and the restricted flow makes the freshwater pump cycle regularly. Is this something to worry about?

Thanks.
I don't see how a filter would make your pump run more often unless there is a leak.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:40   #17

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Thanks all, I will fit two filters. A 20micron on all water and an additional 5 micron on the drinking water.

I also bought an online filter that attaches to the hose for taking on water.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:54   #18

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

The too quick recycling is probably slime or crud in the pump valving. The rubber has a life too and will harden and refuse to seal allowing seep back to low pressure side. An accumulator will slow the frequency but not the problem.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:13   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The issue with filters in water systems, is that the filters themselves become perfect growth media for high bacteria growth. If you use your boat all the time then growth is less. But then if you use the water all the time, it probably turns over enough to avoid using a filter.

In any case, if you have a filter and don't use it for weeks and months at a time, flush it for at least 2 minutes before first drinking from it. Ideally replace the cartridge. Even if it looks clean, it ain't.

I learned this while designing Bio-Pharma plants, where the cleanest water (called wfi or wiffy "water for injection") was nothing but H2O. That required a RO unit, then DI, 0.5 micron filter, uV and then a vapor compression still to get to pure water. It also had to be stored at 165 degrees F to keep bacteria count to near zero.

I don't use a filter and only clean my tank every 2 years. But it's only a 35 gallon tank and It lasts about 3 weeks between fills.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:58   #20

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I just added a nice cylindrical inline charcoal filter to my fresh cold water tap in the galley. Everything to help keep the water 100% is worth it in my opinion. Taking the city water chlorine out before drinking it is also healthier. I only commission my water maker for cruising.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:22   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Take the typical marina hose, discharge it onto a white towel or something similar, and flex the hose. You'll be amazed at the crap that sloughs off the walls. It's not like home plumbing.
Or, do as I do and only fill your tanks with your own drinking water rated hose that hidden when not in use so others can't use it to rinse their holding tanks.

My boat came to me with a filtered water tap at the galley sink in addition to the faucet. I saw no good reason to remove it so it's still there and we use it.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:28   #22

Boat: longing for a trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have a Seagull, cause it came with the boat.
However I feel sure you can do as well, for a whole lot less money
For drinking... we use zerowater. Comes with a TDS meter so you can really tell it is working. Tastes great too. $40 for the 23 cup dispenser.
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 13:12   #23

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There are always organisms in untreated tanks. You can treat them or live with the consequences. I've made all my water for 6 years. Sometimes in bays or rivers so I use a 20, 5 and 1 micron, CTO and GAC before the membranes. After a UV light and carbon filter. I chlorinate the tanks when making water. After the tanks I also filter 1 micron, GAC, CTO to catch any chlorine.
I liveaboard and use water like I would in a house. W/o the chlorine, eventually the tanks always get contaminated. I use the RO water for everything, laundry, dishwasher, showers, etc. Even with a high flow, the tanks get contaminated w/o chlorine. I use a cheap pool test kit to keep it at a barely registering amount.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 13:42   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Filters on drinking water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't see how a filter would make your pump run more often unless there is a leak.

The water flow is so slow that the pumps turns off and on pretty frequently, just short cycles the pump.
To the OP it's not the best for the pump cause if nothing else the switch is making and breaking contact and that of course wears it.

My Seagull causes the same thing, even though I have one of those pumps that supposedly does not need an accumulator, and it works pretty good, jus the flow rate through the Seagull is awfully slow.

An accumulator should help with the cycling
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 18:30   #25

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

We have a watermaker, and on occasion use dock or bottled water. We have a charcoal filter on the galley cold water line to the faucet. Our practice is as follows:

1. We try hard to keep our tanks filled with our watermaker.

2. If we need dock fill, we try hard to use bottled water, as we are in Mexico.

3. If we use dock water we filter before it goes into the tank. Although we don't currently have one, we have considered a UV sanitizer.

4. We do annual water system maintenance, including changing system filters and a shock chlorination of the tanks and all lines, followed by a thorough flushing -- especially of the port tank, which is the one used to flush the watermaker.

We did replace all our water hoses a few years ago. They were pretty disgusting, and our water quality immediately and significantly improved.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 14:48   #26

I run the tank dry once a month and then fill with dock water (through a 5 micron sediment filter) that has some chlorine or if using the watermaker add a bit of granular spa sanitizer (sodium di-chlor) of about 1/8th teaspoon per 100 gallons until I get 1ppm on a pool test strip. $10 purchased a lifetime supply from Amazon.

I then use a ANSI 53 rated filter on the drinking water ($12)

This is almost certainly overkill but it is partly a bit of theater for guests. I don't allow bottled water on the boat for cost, environment, and so I don't have to lug the bottles on and off the boat. I tell guests that the boat water is safer (and better tasting) than bottled. Perhaps it's the power of suggestions but most say they agree with me
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:13   #27

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Just open your tanks, inspect them and then decide if you need a filter. I flush the hose for a couple minutes and I still get trash in the tanks. I would clean the tanks ever year, that's when I got filters. We use one whole boat carbon filter and have a dedicated drinking filter and faucet. That use to be a Seagull, but switch to Mutlipure. The water is so good after the filter. It's so good I wouldn't even worry about water from Flint Mich.

https://www.bestfilters.com/Multipur...ter_p_572.html
Thanks so much for that link. I've been looking for a long time for the 10-inch cartridges that will take out 99% of lead Etc. Like Sailorchic said if filters sit full of water for a long time bacteria grows in it if you don't let them run for a while water can be worse then it started out to be. My system is to use a .5 micron filter that is about two for $12 then a filter that takes out 99 percent of pretty much everything then I've added a section of hose that I put a small piece of aquarium filter in both ends and fill the middle with activated charcoal. I think just using the activated charcoal( last stage in my system) for pre filtered water in tanks might be the best bet. that way it can be changedClick image for larger version

Name:	20170819_141312.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	154425 cheaply every 3 months or so to prevent bacteria buildup. I personally don't drink the water in my tanks. I fill up 3 gallon water jugs and in between fill-ups I take the filter cartridges out and let them dry and I always let the water run through them for a while before putting it into my tanks. And one more thing I don't think many people know. filters with those great ratings are usually at less than a gallon per minute flow, if the water goes through faster the filters can't take out the contaminants.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:57   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Filters on drinking water ?

Some filters, I believe Seagull for instance have colloidal silver in them, I believe that is a bactericide.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 20:46   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Thanks all, I will fit two filters. A 20micron on all water and an additional 5 micron on the drinking water.

I also bought an online filter that attaches to the hose for taking on water.
0.5 microns, if stopping gardia etc is the goal. Otherwise, there is no point in additional filtration. This is a common spec for NSF 53 filters.
Old 10-09-2017, 19:31   #30

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Some filters, I believe Seagull for instance have colloidal silver in them, I believe that is a bactericide.
How is yours mounted, is it with the factory bracket that cradles the strap that holds the two sections together?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drinking water, water