Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 05:50   #1

FLUSHING WASTE HOLDING TANK

Jabsco conversion electric pump is kicking circuit breaker when turned on
Removed
Motor burned out.
found a new motor. EXPENSIVE
Vendors on Amazon & ebay are not even close in pricing .
$ 320 up too $ 550 same model
There is a marine flee market this weekend here in Cape Canaveral . Before I order online new will see if I can purchase one off a table .
While pump is out I want too flush holding tank . Never doing this
Set up is not vacuum flush . Has a macerator pump at sea cock in engine room .
Want too run a garden hose from hose that goes into tank which is open Have a rag covering opening , unpleasant vapors
Have too figure a way too by pass sea cock and have water flow and flush .
I always pump out and try too keep clean as possible

THOUGHTS and thanks as usual
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 08:10   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: FLUSHING WASTE HOLDING TANK

Is there a deck fitting for a pump out? What I did and do. is pump it out into the sewer line. than fill the tank 4 or 5 times with fresh water and pump that out. Tank is then as clean as I can get it and no smells. I guess if you pump it out and then flush copius quantities of fresh water through the macerator and those lines that would work also and wouldn't think that would break the no discharge rules as it would only be clean water.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 10:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: FLUSHING WASTE HOLDING TANK

Unless the tank walls are so coated with the animal fats in waste that they need cleaning, it's not necessary to fill the tank to rinse it out:

1. empty the tank via pumpout or (if you can take the boat out beyond the "3 mile limit") the macerator pump.
2. put enough water into the tank via the deck pumpout fitting--'cuz that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up the sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be pumped out or dumped--to cover the bottom to a depth of 6-8". Pump that out...repeat, repeat until you're pumping out clean water.
It's ok to use salt water for this, so if you have a washdown pump and macerator pump, and can get out to sea, use the washdown pump to supply the water...when the depth reaches 6-8" turn on the macerator and let the water continue running till the tank is clean.

If you still need clean the tank walls, put at least a gallon of liquid detergent in the tank and fill with water this time. Put about 10 lbs of ice cubes in the tank too...go out and tack a lot. Dump the detergent solution...fill the tank again with clean water. Repeat if necessary.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushing, holding tank