Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2023, 10:33   #1

Foot pump vs electric pump

Given the choice between having a foot pump for the seawater in my kitchen sink or plumbing it over to an electric pump which is better? We have 1000 W of solar so power consumption is a non-issue and I kind of like the idea that I can Plumb the electric pump above the waterline. I just wanna make sure I’m not missing something switching it over.

Thoughts?
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:36   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Foot pump vs electric pump

My experience has been that seawater pumps require more maintenance and have a more limited life than freshwater pumps. However I have found the same holds true for foot pumps.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
My experience has been that seawater pumps require more maintenance and have a more limited life than freshwater pumps. However I have found the same holds true for foot pumps.
What additional maintenance would be required or something like a jabsco pump? Basically will I just have to replace it a little sooner?
Old 09-09-2023, 10:49   #4
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

I was planning on installing a foot pump but I decided the cutout and mounting was more work than a simple pump with a pushbutton I can hit with my knee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230909_134834.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	280738  
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

A foot pump is nicer to use in a boat galley, in my view. It leaves both hands free (sometimes one is needed to hang on), is quiet and most importantly gives better control over the exact amount of water delivered.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 14:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A foot pump is nicer to use on a boat, in my view. It leaves both hands free (sometimes one is needed to hang on), is quiet and most importantly gives better control over the exact amount of water delivered.
It would be hands-free either way because I’ll plumb it into the Faucet and it will use a pressure switch. I’m not too concerned about the exact amount of water delivered because it’s seawater so the more the better
Old 09-09-2023, 15:15   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Foot pump vs electric pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
It would be hands-free either way because I’ll plumb it into the Faucet and it will use a pressure switch.
This solves one of the biggest problems with electric water pumps in the galley .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
I’m not too concerned about the exact amount of water delivered because it’s seawater so the more the better
Regulating the water rate (which is easy to do hands free with a foot pump) is not only about reducing water consumption. It is also helpful to avoid the water spraying everywhere. This is particularly important with salt water.
Old 09-09-2023, 16:07   #8

Boat: Columbia 36

I've had both a foot pump and electric. The electric one had a three position switch, Off, continuous, or momentary. Momentary had better control on the amount of water, but it's sea water so who cares. Both have advantages. We used them for dish and hand washing with a quick fresh water rinse. Saved a lot of fresh water. One funny thing was the original electric pump was more like a bilge pump with a water inlet on the bottom. It was not self priming and often after sailing it would lose prime. When it gave up I replaced with a cheap diaphragm pump off Amazon that was self priming and no more problems.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 17:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A foot pump is nicer to use in a boat galley, in my view. It leaves both hands free (sometimes one is needed to hang on), is quiet and most importantly gives better control over the exact amount of water delivered.
We sure wouldn’t want to waste any of that saltwater. I hear there is a shortage coming.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 18:00   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
We sure wouldn’t want to waste any of that saltwater. I hear there is a shortage coming.

See post #7.
Old 09-09-2023, 20:46   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I prefer foot pumps. Ours have been pretty reliable. Jim replaced one diaphragm in 20 yrs. We have them in the head and the galley. The shower has an electric pump for the flash heater for the water.

We had pressure water on our previous boat, and you always hear it when the pump is running. If it ever gets a pinhole leak in the diaphragm, it can drive you nuts, pumping as it loses pressure. Never had any disaster with it (thank heavens and good planning by Jim), but landlubbers are used to pressure water and your guests are better able to waste water by leaving the water trickling. Guests who have to jerry jug water to the boat waste less water. Carrying it helps them remember to conserve.

Ann
Old 10-09-2023, 04:32   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have both on board. We have pressure water on the freshwater tank, and a saltwater footpump at the galley. I’d prefer to have nothing but footpumps, but I run the potable water through a couple of filters. I don’t think the manual pump can generate enough pressure.

I’ve replaced one manual pump due to a diaphram fatigue tear. It was a generic pump, so perhaps quality was suspect. But that was after a decade of use, so not too bad.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:56   #13

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

We have foot pumps for salt and fresh, with pressure water for fresh as well. The foot pumps are great for conserving water and for hands free.
Our filtered water is on the pressure system as is hot water.
We have had one diaphragm failure but i think that pump was about 50 years old.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 05:07   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you install one the popular Whale lever action foot pumps, take a look at the thread below.

The pumps themselves are very reliable and long lasting, but they have an inherent fault that can significantly shorten their life. Fortunately, it is a fault that is easily fixed. This should be done when installing these pumps.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ps-212499.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D166D7BC-8A4F-422E-A600-A8F8B0887EBE.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	280782  

Tags
electric, electric pump, pump