Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 16:54   #1

Force 10 oven barely gets hot

This seems like the most appropriate form to post this...

So our oven never gets over about 275 degrees. We finally got an oven thermometer to see and right now it has been on (dial as high as it will go) for 3 hours and that is where it is at. I have heard that they take awhile to heat up but 3 hours seems long. Whenever I check the burner is on with a decent flame so I don't think it is the ovens own thermometer being wrong.

Are there any things that I can service easily or need to clean?

Thanks

-Kevin
kkreeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Force 10 oven barely gets hot

What are you trying to incinerate...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:16   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: Force 10 oven barely gets hot

Boatman may have been thinking your were reporting 275 C not F. Very difficult to incinerate anything at 275 F.
I have a Force 10 (2003 model) and it will get to over 400 F in less than an hour. Have you contacted Force 10 about this? Something is definitely wrong. A decent flame on the oven burner will definitely get you over 275 F.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Force 10 oven barely gets hot

In that case you need a new thermostat... easy peasy to do... oh.. hang on I was a gas fitter once... CANCEL LAST...
Send of to F10 for a new thermostat its easy enough but best get it done by a 'pro' with bill for insurance purposes in case he crap..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:26   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
Not enough gas? Maybe liquid in the lines. Check for leaks but vapor in the lines may be building up to a level that means blockage. . Some where I read about this it may be similar to using horizontal tanks and vertical tanks and where the siphon is. Not good is what I recall. Look for oily residue in propane lines. Hope you figure it out.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

could be the jet is partially blocked in side the burner mantle for the oven .

faulty pressure regulator from the bottle.

temp regulator sender faulty.

best bet is to take it to a gas engineer and get it serviced,parts are available for force10 but expensive,
force 10 do have service agents so worth checking them out as well.

unlikely it is the thermocouple as it wiould not light at all
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:39   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
Blockage would be a good place to start. Coourse it could be simple and the thermostat is bad. Plus 1 for boatman. Some boaters report crappy oil stuff and liquid in there fuel lines. Yes propane can have moisture and other impurities.
If there is a low spot regulated gas may not be able to push this through. Regulators have a large screen filter and can fail.
Clean the burner, Blow out the fuel lines check the regulator.
I am an idiot so can not be held responsible if you take my suggestions and apply them. For personnel legal reasons you should ignore my point of view and only work on appliances or boats if you are qualified and have assumed responsibility for you decision.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:48   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

KKreeger

You are not alone.
This is aged, but they had the same problem and it was solved (post #11)....

Force 10 Oven Not Getting Hot Enough To Bake - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Good luck and happy baking.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

+1
ozzman
Hi All.

As a 40 year vet of gas appliances of all kinds......... I would like to give you all a few tips on your Force ten oven problems. Or any oven problems come to that.

1st. All regulators on your gas bottles have a vent to atmosphere. This vent is usually a fine gauze filter to stop ingress of dust and dirt in a normal environment. Being out in an often damp or even worse, wet locker in a salt laden atmosphere is just begging for that little vent to get blocked with salt crystals. If it is blocked the regulator cannot work properly and in some cases will lock up at a low gas rate. therefore not suppling enough gas pressure at the oven. Clean it with warm soapy water and a nail brush.

2nd When we cook in the dinky little ovens (especially at sea) sometimes the cooking spills over and on to the burner. As these burners are quite small any amount of holes blocked can result in a considerable loss of heat output, so put your head in the oven....... Turn it off though Elmer......... and take a look at the burner, if any holes are blocked clean them out.

3rd and final.... No 1 suspect THE JET. During the process of producing LPG/Propane there is quite a bit of oily residue left over. This is mostly filtered out but often, and I do mean OFTEN, some gets through into your refill bottle and either gums up the regulator or makes its way through to the jets on your appliances. Several years ago in Brisbane I had a spate of these where over 60% of all the bottles in Wynnum Manly marina were affected.

If your hotplate burners are all working correctly and there is no visible drop in flame hight when they are all turned on, then chances are this is whats causing your oven problem.

It can also be the oven thermostat being out of calibration but this a lot less likely than the above.

If you can manage to get the jet out DO NOT CLEAN IT OUT WITH A HARD PIN OR NEEDLE OF ANY SHAPE SIZE OR DESIGN! Use a single strand of SOFT copper wire from a spare piece of flex or even a hair from a suitable paint brush. Leave it to soak for an hour in ........... Coke a Cola and it will be very clean. The tolerance on these jets is critical and you would not believe how soft they are and what damage your pin can do!

Once the hole is enlarged the jet is useless and can cause serious damage to your burner and the oven itself.

Hope this helps someone along the way someday.

Happy Cruising all.

Ozznightman.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 18:44   #10

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Have you tried closing the door?

...ok, joking aside: in addition to all of the great advice above, another quick sanity check is to ensure that the door is going all of the way home. I've got a Force10 and initially I had a similar problem - i didn't think about the door until I found debris in back of the right-hand hinge mechanism which was stopping the door closing all the way. Once that was removed I had no problem achieving full temperature.
Old 14-03-2013, 09:55   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Many of the oven temperature controls have a temperature/thermostat adjustment screw on the housing of the oven gas valve. Use an oven thermometer to adjust the screw on the housing till the temperature reading match. Care is required as a small adjustment can make a big change. Then double check oven temperatures after adjustment...

I'm betting the force 10 oven gas valve has one too. Pretty much any oven with a capillary tube thermostatic gas valve will have an adjustment screw for temperature adjustment. There may be a second screw which adjusts pilot flame height too. Just fyi.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 14:03   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We had this problem with our former Force 10, both the oven and top burner. I cleaned out the very small hole in the burner, most are probably referring to this as a jet, and the problem went away until the stuff would build up again. It's hard to do in the oven without pulling out the burner, but after a while I could do it using a mirror. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 05:34   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

What atoll said.

And from Force 10

Clean out the orifice with forced air or with a cotton swab dipped in Alcohol. Never use metal to clean the orifice

http://www.force10.com/files/documen...%20orifice.pdf

Page 17 ➥ http://www.force10.com/files/documen...e%20Manual.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 04:53   #14

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Never use metal to clean the orifice
Now that's a good rule to follow in any situation! ;-)

Tags
oven