Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 06:32   #16

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Freezer Build

Update , had a day to build my new plates for the freezer. All copper, Had a hell of a time finding the rivets .

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copper.plate.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	135266   Click image for larger version

Name:	upsidedownplate.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	135273  

Name:	plate.txv.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	135274  
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:41   #17

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Wow!! I am very impressed!! Nice looking work
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:46   #18

Thanks , the one on the left was my first attempt , the on the right came out a bit better . The thermal conductivity of copper is second to none , so a very fast defrost. They should be ice pick proof and never corrode , I only used copper on copper .

Regards
Old 07-11-2016, 06:51   #19

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Very nice copper work! I'm curious, and I know it's been done this way for ages, would it be any more efficient were the tubing snaked in a coil between the plates? Also, what refrigerant are you using?

Judging by the quality of craftsmanship you take pride in your work. That will probably outlast all of us as long as the compressor holds up. What kind of amperage does it pull and are you using a timer for cycling or a simple thermostat switch?
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Very nice copper work! I'm curious, and I know it's been done this way for ages, would it be any more efficient were the tubing snaked in a coil between the plates? Also, what refrigerant are you using?

Judging by the quality of craftsmanship you take pride in your work. That will probably outlast all of us as long as the compressor holds up. What kind of amperage does it pull and are you using a timer for cycling or a simple thermostat switch?

The tubbing is wound back and forth as much and as tight as I could inside the plates without kinking the tubbing, it is all one piece, no solder joints other then at the TXV and sight glass.

I have a similar system running in my 7.7 cubic foot fridge and it uses 22 amp hours a day with 30 degree weather . The box has R40 almost all the way around and
R20 in the doors .

This system will go in a 2.5 cubic foot box and I will run it as a deep freeze . It has similar insulation , if you look back you can see the build process. I expect it to run 20 amp hrs a day or less . The system is controlled by box temperature not evaporator temperature , I can keep it within 3 degrees. Compressor cycles once an hour , at least it does in my fridge , I expect the freezer will be similar. I am using R12a RedTec refrigerant . 30 percent more efficient then R134a , runs at very low head pressures and does not produce acids in the system if there is any moisture present . But I triple purge the systems with nitrogen and pull a vacuum below 500 microns over night before I fill the system , If there is any thing left in the system after that the receiver drier will take care of it . The damn things work so well its boring , nothing to tinker with ,

LOL

Regards
Old 07-11-2016, 07:18   #21

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Wow, only 30 amps a day. Absolutely awesome. I must have missed the pre-plate pictures. That's a lot of tubing work. I hated doing AC work when I did it, but I'm glad I learned a lot about it back then. I never thought about building my own units. I'd never do it on a commercial level, but maybe instead of doing without or buying a commercial unit a nice build would be a fun project.

Again, thanks for the awesome post and pictures. I was impressed very much by the build quality.

The only other question I had was is there no drains? I guess they're small enough that you can clean them easy and towel them out. I'm in Florida and the humidity is very much an issue. That black mold you're talking about in your first post is a real health concern. I can imagine in a tight space like a boat it's even more of a concern.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Wow, only 30 amps a day. Absolutely awesome. I must have missed the pre-plate pictures. That's a lot of tubing work. I hated doing AC work when I did it, but I'm glad I learned a lot about it back then. I never thought about building my own units. I'd never do it on a commercial level, but maybe instead of doing without or buying a commercial unit a nice build would be a fun project.

Again, thanks for the awesome post and pictures. I was impressed very much by the build quality.

The only other question I had was is there no drains? I guess they're small enough that you can clean them easy and towel them out. I'm in Florida and the humidity is very much an issue. That black mold you're talking about in your first post is a real health concern. I can imagine in a tight space like a boat it's even more of a concern.

Never used 30 amps in a day in my fridge , even when we were cruising this summer with two or more on board . 22 maybe 24 , that was it .

Drains , NO DRAINS!! all your cold air goes out there and they get very stinky, its a great place for bacteria to grow , nasty nasty . I just wipe up the bottom if any thing gets down there. The plates have drains for defrosting .

Black mold is only an issue if you have bad insulation and no vapor barriers . Protect your insulation use vapor barriers , even if you have closed cell foam , you don't want air flowing in and out of your layers . Air carriers moisture .

Regards
Old 08-11-2016, 06:57   #23

I will be making a video showing this setup working in a 120 degree oven (car spraybooth/oven) inside a insulated box similar to the one it will live in , in the boat . This will be an interesting experiment . Just want to make sure it can control its condensing temperatures on a very very hot day inside a very hot boat . I can let it run for many hours in this condition, I will monitor number of cycles , box temperature , condensing temperature , and high/ low side pressures.
I will post a link as soon as it is done.

Regards
Old 12-11-2016, 14:40   #24

Finally finished the last few things on the condensing unit . Wow takes a lot of time to get all the parts together ,[emoji15]ATTACH]135966[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478990301.227072.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	135967Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478990366.401482.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	135968
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1478990284.310837.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	135966  
Old 23-11-2016, 14:46   #25

Boat: O'Day 34

I build my own condensing units using all copper condensers and thin copper flat evaporator plates of my own design . I use a BD35 and a TXV to control refrigerant . They work great , I have built almost a dozen of them now , some with the BD50 and a manual speed controller . I stay away from water cooling and electronics . I see to many posts from people on here with failed units due to crapped out electronics and plunged sea strainers or loss of refrigerant though bad o rings or pin holes in there condensers . Plus, air cooling works on the hard .

Typhoon,
I'm very impressed with your work.
I'm a retired engineer and former HVACR business owner. Now I'm teaching HVACR at a technical school in South Florida.
I'm definitely going to install a cold plate system in my boat, A Danfoss system that was installed in Turkey worked great in our former 41' Morgan, so I'm leaning towards that compressor.
Could you provide some info on your manual speed controller? And any other info that I could use to build a system. I also like to keep things simple. Automation is usually what fails.
My built in box is fairly small, so a small Danfoss should work well. I'm also going to go with air cooled, as the marine growth problem is really bad here and it's really hard on the water cooled condensors. I just completed a coppercoat bottom job last week so I guess refrigeration will be my next project.
Any help that you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I have all of the technical skills required but just need some help in selecting the basic system components.
thanks,
Bill
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 11:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btimmerman49 View Post
I'm definitely going to install a cold plate system in my boat,
May be of interest to you.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-28378.html
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 16:32   #27

Boat: O'Day 34

Thank you
There are some varied differences of opinion here
I'll read Toms data and decide for myself
Bill
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 20:27   #28

Refrigeration survey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btimmerman49 View Post
Thank you
There are some varied differences of opinion here
I'll read Toms data and decide for myself
Bill
And choice, that the beauty of it.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:02   #29

Some preliminary tests done .

Test Box is 2.5 square feet, a little large for the 160 square inch plates but they are having no problem getting the box down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit , true deep freeze levels .

I took the photos before it reached that temperature to show the amps. I have the thermostat set to hold the box within 2 degrees.

Test box R30 all sides , top is R20.of blue board XPS. I have a foam seal on it and place weights on it to make a decent seal.

Yes those are the pressures I'm running at and yes those are the accurate amps. Running at low speed on the compressor.

The blue lite temp gauge is measuring the condensed temps before the TXV and the temp at where the bulb is attached on the evaporator .

Ambient temperatures are the condenser temperature , so it is working at 100%

The frost on the lines is from running the system non stop for two day freezing 10 liters of water from room temperature , it took a while but it was almost frozen solid after 48 hrs of running at low speed .

I will be making a video with the system in an oven at 120 degrees , then I will test that condenser

Regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0276.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	137614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	137615