Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 15:31   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Freezer Insulation ?

I am thinking of adding more insulation to my freezer. What is the current material of choice? How should it be attached to the existing fiberglass liner? And what should I use to cover the added insulation to build a new, smaller, box?
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 17:19   #2

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
here this might be of some assistance, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ilt-31930.html

best material is the blueboard stiff, R5 per inch, and they say you want R30 for a freezer, so 6 or 7 inchs of insulation total, if you piss money get VIP (vacuum insulated panels)...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 20:55   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There is a material known as R-Max board with is a foam board with aluminum foil facing. It has a R-factor of 5.9 per 1 inch thickness. You used to be able to buy it in Home Depot. Other insulation boards are available such as Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company- Manufacturers of Quality Sailboat Masts, Booms, Hardware and Rigging Since 1963. which has an R-value of 6.5 per 1 inch of thickness.
- - All the boards need to be put in place and then a protective layer of poly sheeting/film is put in before inserting the final box walls. The plastic sheeting (film)
is for waterproofing the foam board. Any water seeping into the foam or spaces between layers of foam will reduce the R-value to 1 as water is a great conductor of heat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 07:58   #4

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
I used a material called Aspen Aerogel Spaceloft. It has a R-10.3 value per 1 inch. It is a blanket material, dimensions 3/8"thick by 72" wide sold in rolls. I wrapped 8 layers of the material around the finished FRP box's. Then stretched 6 mil vis queen around the Aerogel taped up the joins with duct tape. Then set the finished cocoon inside the joinery. Poured 4 lb polyurethane foam around the suspended unit. I did use R-parts vacuum lid/hatches. I have not yet commissioned the boat so I can not yet report on the effectiveness of the material. On paper I should have in excess of R-35 for the box. On the hull side of the box I have the 8 layers plus an average of 4" of foam. The hatches have the lowest R value in my system. I see that Glacier Bay are now using Aerogel inside of their vacuum panels. Here is a link to the guys I bought the material from. Aspen AeroGel Spaceloft Insul-Cap -Anchor Companies if you use this material wear a respirator it is hard on the lungs. Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
I used a material called Aspen Aerogel Spaceloft. It has a R-10.3 value per 1 inch. It is a blanket material, dimensions 3/8"thick by 72" wide sold in rolls. I wrapped 8 layers of the material around the finished FRP box's. Then stretched 6 mil vis queen around the Aerogel taped up the joins with duct tape. Then set the finished cocoon inside the joinery. Poured 4 lb polyurethane foam around the suspended unit. I did use R-parts vacuum lid/hatches. I have not yet commissioned the boat so I can not yet report on the effectiveness of the material. On paper I should have in excess of R-35 for the box. On the hull side of the box I have the 8 layers plus an average of 4" of foam. The hatches have the lowest R value in my system. I see that Glacier Bay are now using Aerogel inside of their vacuum panels. Here is a link to the guys I bought the material from. Aspen AeroGel Spaceloft Insul-Cap -Anchor Companies if you use this material wear a respirator it is hard on the lungs. Jack
Hello Jack,

Did a quick look at the Aspen web site and the Aerogel does sound interesting. Made from silicon dioxide aka silica or sand. The insulating properties look excellent but is based on the trapped air in the matrix which their website describe as like a sponge.

Did you have any information on the water absorption characteristecs? If this stuff soaks up water like a sponge the R value would drop dramatically. For the Glacier Bay panels since the Aerogel is sealed it's not an issue but as open insulation I wonder.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 09:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Where?

Where did you buy the spaceloft?

Chris

Quote:
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 19:30   #7

Quote:
Did you have any information on the water absorption characteristecs? If this stuff soaks up water like a sponge the R value would drop dramatically. For the Glacier Bay panels since the Aerogel is sealed it's not an issue but as open insulation I wonder.
No specific info. I would agree that in a open situation there could be a problem. The loose powder drew all the moisture from my skin, got a whiff without my respirator on not nice. My goal was to create a sealed a plastic membrane to repel moisture. The polyurethane on its expansion should have pressed the membrane tight against the FRP boxes. So we will see if it is effective in the long term. The product is used in thin construction panels in Europe. This link has more info ASPEN AEROGELS | Case Studies

Quote:
Where did you buy the spaceloft?
From the guys in the first link.

Jack
Old 20-05-2010, 19:39   #8

Quote:
Come to think of it. I have some scraps left over I should I should try immersing it in water to see how it absorbs. I will post the results. From memory when I was handling it, it created a silicone like film on my hand and other surfaces, water would bead on my skin. I had to use soap and warm water to clean the painted surfaces in the boat.
Old 20-05-2010, 19:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Come to think of it. I have some scraps left over I should I should try immersing it in water to see how it absorbs. I will post the results. From memory when I was handling it, it created a silicone like film on my hand and other surfaces, water would bead on my skin. I had to use soap and warm water to clean the painted surfaces in the boat.
Interesting idea. Look forward to the results. Don't forget the respirator.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, insulation