Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 09:30   #16

Re: Fresh Water Filtration Question

Fresh water RO units are inexpensive, as low as maybe $120. You need 45 psi water flow. No 120 volt needed. Might be worth it. I just bought one for under sink home use. I selected a model that uses standard 10" filters, rather than some proprietary filters.
https://www.filtersfast.com/P-Hydrot..._campaign=cteo

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:20   #17

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Tarian, you have first hand experience of what lurks in your wife? Smile...
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29   #18

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 ft

I RV'd for years including Mexico. The last few years I used a portable system I purchased at a dealer in Yuma. Made good water and filled my whole tanks.
It consisted of two progressively smaller sediment filters followed by a very fine carbon filter (that would even remove gerardi). Then went through RO membrane.
I used a small 12V pump.
Worked great. If not sure add a UV system, either installed or portable. Or add bleach, but be careful with the type (use plain not the scented) and make sure you know the strength and get the dilution correct
gkunkle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:36   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What are you calling toxins?
I know of no real way to clean membranes myself. But fresh water RO systems are not that expensive, nothing like our salt water systems.

If you have an RO, of course you can’t bleach until after the RO.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanotoxin

These. I'm calling these toxins. They have killed a ton of dogs this year, they can kill people and have killed some seaside town in, I believe, Italy.

I have my real salt water watermaker 1000 miles away. I'm wondering if it'll get everything out of the water at this point.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:39   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Chotu, where are you at? Because you mention Manatee I'm assuming Florida.

By education and profession I'm a scientist with medical microbiology. Just be careful ...especially with stagnant water. Animals have adapted to environments for an incredibly long time. Stagnant water....holy smokes...people are getting eaten these days from microorganisms from hot tubs. Not trying to scare you...but stagnant water has to be treated thoroughly with bleach, boiling, or ultra filtration. Even then...it ain't getting swallowed by me or used for cooking.

I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Just confirming what you already are concerned over.
Thank you very much. That's exactly the confirmation I was hoping for.

I'll level with everyone... It's the Okeechobee waterway. Way up into fresh water. They have, I think, 29 hazardous algae blooms a year on it. Plus whatever else.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 18:44   #21

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Chotu, where are you at? Because you mention Manatee I'm assuming Florida.

By education and profession I'm a scientist with medical microbiology. Just be careful ...especially with stagnant water. Animals have adapted to environments for an incredibly long time. Stagnant water....holy smokes...people are getting eaten these days from microorganisms from hot tubs. Not trying to scare you...but stagnant water has to be treated thoroughly with bleach, boiling, or ultra filtration. Even then...it ain't getting swallowed by me or used for cooking.

I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Just confirming what you already are concerned over.
You didn't mention UV..... no good ?
Old 09-12-2019, 20:06   #22

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

If you want to remove chemicals from the water (not particles or biological) the only practical method on a boat is reverse osmosis. There are other methods out there but they are not practical in a small space.

Have a friend ship you your watermaker. Then set up a filtration system (particle filter and carbon filter) to remove the big stuff before you RO it. You can plum up some stuff from lowes or home depot and do fine.

Thx-Ace
Old 10-12-2019, 04:29   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanotoxin

These. I'm calling these toxins. They have killed a ton of dogs this year, they can kill people and have killed some seaside town in, I believe, Italy.

I have my real salt water watermaker 1000 miles away. I'm wondering if it'll get everything out of the water at this point.
Common water filtration and purification systems may not be effective against cyanotoxins.
I suggest that anyone concerned with cyanobacterie/cyanotoxins do some research on cyanotoxin water treatment. It very quickly gets quite complicated.

Cyanobacteria are photosynthetic bacteria that share some properties with algae and are found naturally in lakes, streams, ponds, and other surface waters. Under favorable conditions of light and nutrients, some species of cyanobacteria produce toxic secondary metabolites, known as cyanotoxins.
The most widespread of the cyanotoxins are the peptide toxins in the class called microcystins. There are at least 80 known microcystins, including Microcystin-LR , which is generally considered one of the most toxic.
Exposure to cyanobacteria and their toxins could be by ingestion of drinking water contaminated with cyanotoxins and through direct contact, inhalation and/or ingestion during recreational activities. Commercially available Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) test kits are one of the more commonly utilized cyanotoxin testing methods, since they do not require expensive equipment or extensive training to run.
UV Radiation is effective at degrading microcystin and cylindrospermopsin but at impractically high doses. It’s impractical to deliver ultraviolet (UV) radiation at the doses required to photolytically destroy microcystin, anatoxin-a, and cylindrospermopsin in a process setting.
See ➥ https://www.epa.gov/sites/production..._factsheet.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:22   #24

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

If you go the watermaker route and you pre-treat the raw water with bleach, don't forget to use a good charcoal filter before the WM. Otherwise the membrane will be toast.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water