Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 04:15   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Fresh water pump

Our fresh water pump seems to be failing. When you open a faucet, the pressure drops in the line and the pump should activate. I think that is how it works. We seem to be able to open a faucet and it takes longer and longer for the pump to begin pumping water.
I have never had trouble with this before so not sure what I am getting into. Can anyone give me a little guidance before I begin the project? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 04:38   #2

Re: Fresh water pump

If you have an accumulator tank, blockage or restricted flow in the intake line before the pump will appear as the pump could be failing. I've seen debris get hung up where the intake line enters the pump and cause poor performance and a loud pump.

Conall
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 05:18   #3

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Not knowing the details of your system, i would look at the pressure switch which the wiring to your pump probably plugs into. Make sure the connections are clean and the spade connectors are not loose in the switch. If pump sounds good and works well when running the pressure switch might be worth replacing on a hunch if all else looks good.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 05:59   #4

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

There is a short line from the water tank">fresh water tank to the pump, maybe a foot. I will check and clean the switch first. When the pump runs, there is very good pressure. Thanks
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 06:26   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Since this is your freshwater system, and you don't want a failure during cruising, it is worthwhile to carry a spare pump in any case. Therefor, one route is to purchase a replacement pump and substitute it in the system. If everything is then OK, you know you had a bad pump and can decide whether or not to attempt a rebuild, thereby making your spare. If the substution does not solve the problem, you can look elsewhere in the system, with both the water flow and the electrical supply being candidates. Either way you just bought insurance against having no freshwater and a big bill for air shipping a new pump to way-the-heck-out from the United States.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 18:20   #6

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If your pump is a diaphragm type and has a switch on the end, it's common for the switch to fail. The is a small diaphragm between the pump and the switch that activates an internal micro switch (made for other purposes) inside the case. The contacts are too small and often stick. Some are so unreliable that the pump maker will replace the switch even after the warranty is up.
If you have one of these pumps, the internal switch can be found everywhere. I had the same switch on a microwave door.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 18:31   #7

If it is one of the bog standard pressure pumps, go online and download a manual from Shurflo or Jabsco. They have a very good troubleshooting guide in all of those manuals.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water