Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl
There have to have been boats sunk that way, most "urban legends" started somehow.
Every year we either rescue or red liar a boat that was sunk by city water... Not a legend at all. We think it's stupid to leave water connected but see it every day.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57   #17
Marine Service Provider

Re: Fresh Water Pump Won't Quit

Definitely not urban legend! Shore water connections left on when no one was aboard sank an average of 10 boats a year on Lake Lanier during the last decade I was there...I personally know of two very near misses--one sailboat owner who woke up in the middle of the night to use the head and stepped out his v-berth into calf deep water...another who only took his dog for a run on a Sunday morning and returned after just an hour to find several inches of water covering his cabin sole. And that's just on one inland lake!

Boat fresh water plumbing isn't designed to withstand "shore water" pressure..Pressure reducers are an integral part of shore water connections...but there are only two types of pressure reducers--those that have failed and those that will...making it absolutely essential that shore water only be connected with someone is aboard and AWAKE to hear the FIRST gushes in the bilge...'cuz the volume is more than 3 big bilge pumps can keep up with.

It's not enough that water on the dock just be turned off when you leave or turn in for the night...the hose should be disconnected from the boat.

The systems that only refill a water tank are a bit safer than those that install downstream of the water pump, but not enough safer to make it worth the risk to leave 'em connected.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Ok,turned pressure valve screw counterclockwise and pump continued to run with good pressure at all outlets.Other thoughts?
Have you tried isolating the pump intake side to eliminate the possibility of air leaks? A small air leak on the intake side of the pump could give exactly the symptoms you see.

Disconnect the hose from the intake side of the pump and replace with a short hose going directly to a full bucket of water. Turn on the pump and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then somewhere between the water tank and the pump you are sucking in a small amount of air that does not let the pressure switch turn off the pump.

You might also see air or spitting at the faucet when you run the water.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08   #19

Afraid I have
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41   #20
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Ok,turned pressure valve screw counterclockwise and pump continued to run with good pressure at all outlets.Other thoughts?
Disconnect everything from output side of the pump and block the output shut. Energise pump (temporarily). If it continues to run, pressure sensor is likely defect (has a short).

Another possibility is that pressure sensor is ok, but the pump has an internal 'short' inside (perhaps a broken membrane) so it circulates water internally.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 15:37   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Afraid I have
Ah shucks.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:07   #22

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Jaywalk.... HAve you been sitting n my boat and written what was wrong with my water system for me? I have had the exact same problem and came to the forum after a long hiatus to try and get some answers..... I read your post and said it can't be happening all over the world... exact same pump failures... I pulled the pump off the wall...unscrewed all the screws, cleaned the pressure sensor..... took the top right off the pump and looked at the diaphragm inside... was looking for holes but found.... a little bit of silicone sealant had jammed in one of the [pump valves.... I pulled it out, rebuilt the pump and for the last hour it has not run once..... I have the exact same pump that I took out and replaced because it was doing the same thing... pulled it out of the cupboard and found junk stuck in the same places on it. ( photos included) puled out the junk... carefully checked the pump and stuck it back together and it works fine too!!!! First photo has silicone in the pump opening jammed there and second one has hard stuff and zip tie and some wire.....Im guessing II should vaccum my water tank soon.

I am on my way as someone on here suggested now to go get a strainer to put inline before the pump!

Thanks for motivating me to tear it apart! You saved me more frustration looking for a pressure leak and 400 bucks on a new pump!!!!! Hope yours has the same problem!

Aloha R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	49500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	49501  

sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:53   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

How in the world would that stuff get in your water tank?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:05   #24

Ahaha YEah! I have a big rain catcher for a roof and we catch a lot od rain... but before I had the boat there was no trainer on that so I would imagine it has been in there a long time.I don't think the silicone is too much of a mystery. Probably been in there since they sealed the tanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16   #25

Are you anchored inside the Lagoon? I bought one of the pumps at Budget Marine there
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25   #26

I am in the lagoon...See I knew you were on my boat LOL> I brought both of mine at Budget there too... but now they are working fine!

Tags
water