Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 11:30   #1

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Freshwater pump mounting

I previously installed a high tech automatic pressure sensing, volume regulating, do everything, it's great and terribly expensive freshwater pressure pump. It had a relatively short lifespan and doesn't appear to be reasonably repairable . I've decided to go back old school. I picked this little baby up at the flea market. My needs are quite modest, One faucet and if the shower worked a little bit, that would be great. The mounting location is tight- would fit best if it didn't need to be mounted in the "typical" position but rather vertically. Anybody know if that is a problem for this style of pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	137389  
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:29   #2

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: Freshwater pump mounting

So, i was wondering to change my JABSCO Pressure Pump with a Shurflo (?) with variable engine.. but it sounds like stupid in your experience.

One is on/off, full pressure; another is modulating along demand... to which advantage? No pressure bowl??

Second question: JABSCO cost 3X more (yes, read 3) than Europump... maybe i prefer to have 2 pumps,and a spare one....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:19   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Freshwater pump mounting

I like the "old school" approach. You just can't kill those old belt-driven reciprocating diaphragm pumps. Just have spare belts available.

That said, most of the "fancy" new potable water pumps are very rebuildable. Mine has lasted three years so far. Before that, I went on line and found a number of places that sold parts to repair the old one, but it was at the age where I figured a total replacement was worth it.

In the end I also bought a spare pump. Potable water is something I'd like to have back on-line quickly, and it was cheaper to buy the whole pump than all the possible spare parts I might need.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water