Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 13:17   #16

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Re: Freshwater System Plumbing

I'm on a budget & have a Sh*Tload of Buteline fittings & pipe left over from 25yrs in the build industry. They have aluminium crimp fittings. I guess you all gonna tell me this is a no-no? I can crimp in accessible places. Also have Rehau & dux type as well. Surely the buteline pipe is ok? Dux are prob. a bit fragile. Rehau looks like it would outlast me at least. What about thermofusion fittings?
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 13:57   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
I'm on a budget & have a Sh*Tload of Buteline fittings & pipe left over from 25yrs in the build industry. They have aluminium crimp fittings. I guess you all gonna tell me this is a no-no? I can crimp in accessible places. Also have Rehau & dux type as well. Surely the buteline pipe is ok? Dux are prob. a bit fragile. Rehau looks like it would outlast me at least. What about thermofusion fittings?
I think the pipe is fine if not the UK version of the Wirsbo/Uponor discussed above. But aluminium fittings? If on a real tight budget, sure, but I think they need additional protection from the salty environment, like with some super-tape?

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 14:06   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I can't see why the buteline fittings would-be fine, other then the fact you can't remove them. I still prefer the 0 ring style like Hep

Dave
Old 10-08-2011, 15:12   #19

Boat: C&C Newport 41

PEX is a great option for this application. it runs like wire... u can bend it, dress it and simply replace the fittings.

i strongly discourage you from using any of the expansion PEX solutions as there are significant pain in the butt and are not readily available at your local hardware store.

make sure you get a cinch clamp tool for extra ease in the tight spaces.

PVC isnt a bad option either. i would identify some of the downsides to PVC the complexities of repairing a primed system, stink of PVC primer and cement and difficulty of modification / repair.

PEX supplies are a lot more compact to keep on board then misc PVC supplies too (and you wont find your PEX rings dried out when you go to fix something in the middle of the night like your PVC cement.
if you do decide on PEX, always add a loop to each end of your lines. i assure you, the first time you come up .5" short when replacing a fitting, you will regret not having looped in few inches of extra PEX.

if you have questions about working with PEX, lmk.
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:26   #20

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

what is wrong with the PEX hose and brass fittings and steel clamps at Home Depot.
Home Depot also has the push on fittings and the grey plastic screw together fittings that work with PEX.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:13   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Uponor, or RTI's plumbing systems, and fittings called P Pex & MB Pex allegedly fail when they are exposed to water, because of a chemical reaction known as dezincification, which results in reduced water flow and leaks. The plumbing fittings which may be prone to Uponor Pex failure are made of brass, and are stamped on the side with either “P Pex” or “MB Pex.” They are not marked with the word “Uponor.” Uponor has stopped selling this style of brass pex fitting.

See ➥ Uponor Class Action Informational Website

And ➥ Zurn&reg Pex Class Action Informational Website

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 07:42   #22

Boat: Valiant 40

Reviving this old thread to ask whether anyone has used Sharkbite quick connect brass fittings with PEX on their boat. Upside is no tool needed for installation, and fairly quick and easy disassembling with a tool.

Any reason not to use the standard Sharkbite brass fittings with stainless crimp rings, either?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 08:33   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is this type of fitting that I like, it's plastic except for a small amount of stainless, requires no tools
Shop Blue Hawk 1/2-in Dia. Pex Coupling Compression Fitting at Lowes.com
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 08:42   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Reviving this old thread to ask whether anyone has used Sharkbite quick connect brass fittings with PEX on their boat. Upside is no tool needed for installation, and fairly quick and easy disassembling with a tool.

Any reason not to use the standard Sharkbite brass fittings with stainless crimp rings, either?
I have used the Sharkbite fittings in my home with no problem. They are a bit expensive though and heavy. I wouldn't use them on an entire project but they are great when you want to be able to rotate a connection after making it or (this probably doesn't apply to boats) make a connection without soldering and risking damage to other pipes or starting a fire.

For a boat re-plumb, I would suggest PEX as others have and plastic PEX fittings. The different colors for hot and cold are a nice option.
Old 16-03-2015, 08:49   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Different colors is an excellent idea, right now I have to run the hot water sometimes to determine which is which, didn't want to plumb in the Fresh heads into hot water
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 09:44   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
For a boat re-plumb, I would suggest PEX as others have and plastic PEX fittings. The different colors for hot and cold are a nice option.
So you would use the plastic compression fittings? I was looking at the Whale system, which I assume is comparable, but the price for the hose and the fittings is more than double the PEX tubing and fittings at HD. I also don't like that the Whale PEX tubing is proprietary, having a different OD than the standard PEX at plumbing supplies, at least from what I can tell (it is specified as 15mm which his .59 inch). It is pretty cool however how easy it is to disassemble though.

I had not considered using the plastic compression fittings from a plumbing supply house or HD/Lowes. Are they as leakproof as the fittings that require crimped rings?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 11:04   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I'm a big fan of Sea Tech fittings for PEX. You just cut the PEX to length and shove it into the fitting. They are just as easy to remove and reuse. They are available in both inch and metric sizes. A lot of boat builders use them because they save so much time.

Link: Sea Tech Quick Connect Fittings
Old 16-03-2015, 11:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
So you would use the plastic compression fittings? I was looking at the Whale system, which I assume is comparable, but the price for the hose and the fittings is more than double the PEX tubing and fittings at HD. I also don't like that the Whale PEX tubing is proprietary, having a different OD than the standard PEX at plumbing supplies, at least from what I can tell (it is specified as 15mm which his .59 inch). It is pretty cool however how easy it is to disassemble though.

I had not considered using the plastic compression fittings from a plumbing supply house or HD/Lowes. Are they as leakproof as the fittings that require crimped rings?
They aren't compression fittings, they use an "O" ring to seal and different ways (depending on the manufacturer) to keep the tubing from backing out of the fitting.

If they are good enough for residential plumbing (at 100 PSI) and non-corrosive) they should be fine for boats at 40 PSI.

The ones in HopCar's post should be fine. Mine are older and have to be tightened with a wrench.
Old 16-03-2015, 11:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
If you're talking about Polybutylene, that was outlawed in the USA many years ago and there were several lawsuits because it broke and flooded homes. Use it at your own risk but do some research first.
Old 16-03-2015, 11:45   #30

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I conformed & used the expen$ive stuff from the marine store..
Which, on final evaluation, seems inferior to BL.
I bought the heavy duty SS hose clamps with the bolt and nut for tensioning.
NOT impressed. Very small range of adjustment & need anti-gauling..
Next time I'll Stick with 2x rack and pinion band style.

Buteline has never failed in the XX yrs of building I have done.
Maybe it was the tradesmen in UK?
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, water