Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 23:10   #1

Boat: 94' Ex Navy Ship
Freshwater tank clean

Hello everyone,

I have opened the hatches of the fresh water tanks on our boat for the first time in 6 or 7 years. Happy to report nothing more than the odd spot of rust and grime on the inside of the tank.

We opened the tank simply because we are up on the hard and I have recently acquired this vessel.

The 2 tanks hold around 7000 litres. (that's not a typo).

I was in one of the tanks today water blasting and scrubbing away the grime which has turned the once white tank into a yellowish colour which rubs off with your fingers into a brownie trickle.

My question: What descaling, degriming process can I follow to give the tanks the best chance of cleaning themselves, without all the hard work of trying to scrub them (access is very tight).

I thought I would see what tricks people have and if they recommend a specific product or process over anything else?

Appreciate any answers or tips.

p.s we have the boat on the hard and can fill the tanks .. then drain them via the bottom plug as required.
sleaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 00:38   #2

Re: Freshwater tank clean

I'll also quickly mention that I am aware of using bleach in the tanks .. I'd opt for around 1 litre per side, diluted - It's the grimy walls I am trying to tackle.

Will the bleach peal that stuff away ? I could and have spent alot of hours scrubbing by hand, but the middle two portions of the tank are quite confined and certainly not ideal to be in.
sleaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 00:47   #3

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

I used a water blaster. Due to small the size of my tank (300 litrs) i modified a pipe cleaning attatchment by taking of the nozzle and screwing in a bolt with a small hole drilled in it, this worked excellent as i could hold the hose and point it where needed.
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 13:53   #4

Morning Sardean, thanks for that. Yes, I spent last night in the tanks with the water blaster and was able to get a large amount of it clean.

Today, I have a tank cleaner down there repainting, using citrus to clean and essentially making the tanks like new.

It's tight work and it seem like perhaps there are no shortcuts here.
Old 15-03-2018, 14:17   #5

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Nothing seems to be easy or straight forward on a boat, when you're finished you'll love the clean water
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 14:46   #6

Currently learning by fire about electrical engineering, engines (cummins), Plumbing, waste water, hot water, tanks, navigation systems, radar, driving a 100 tonne ship, driving a twin screw with no bow thruster, maintaining outboards, interior design, hydraulic systems, paint systems, lighting, fuel and oil systems, machine shop skills, fire fighting, first aid, safety equipment, weather systems....

I am loving it. Would not have it any other way.
Old 18-03-2018, 08:52   #7

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleaper View Post
Currently learning by fire about electrical engineering, engines (cummins), Plumbing, waste water, hot water, tanks, navigation systems, radar, driving a 100 tonne ship, driving a twin screw with no bow thruster, maintaining outboards, interior design, hydraulic systems, paint systems, lighting, fuel and oil systems, machine shop skills, fire fighting, first aid, safety equipment, weather systems....

I am loving it. Would not have it any other way.
What are the tanks made of, Stainless Steel or Aluminum? Have you posted pics of your new boat elsewhere on the forum?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 15:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
What are the tanks made of, Stainless Steel or Aluminum? Have you posted pics of your new boat elsewhere on the forum?
Hi Deluxe,

The tanks are steel. Like the good old fashioned hard forged stuff. Lined with tank liner.

There are pictures in my gallery : )

Tanks came up great.

Tags
water