Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 08:56   #16

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Thanks Ex.

Despite my cavalier attitude I maintain a strict policy of "measure 9 times, cut 3, and never call any job done until I've redone the whole bloody thing at least twice"

I am a little nervous about the "refridgerant carries the lubricant" comment because I ran the compressor for 2+ hours. I wanted to give it time to build up some cold if that was in the cards. It did not. But it was still humming along quietly when I decided the experiment was done.

At this point I am really unclear how to proceed but its not a technical issue so much as finance and priorities. I've got very little time left... I will let you guys know what direction I go.

Thanks,
J
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Jack,

I admire your tenacity, and never give up spirit!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:29   #18

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
I am not sure which of these two I am- but thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2791011510032786982S600x600Q85.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	5288   Click image for larger version

Name:	never-give-up-frog.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	5289  

Old 01-10-2008, 12:14   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You're the frog. The mouse will eventually be eaten, but at least the frog is in a standoff, and most likely will survive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 17:33   #20
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Jack, deciding to replace will really depend on what you want for usage. If it's critical to have it work, replace the whole thing. If it's something you will just use a few times per year, have a technician recharge the unit. Probably cost around $300 in SF, $150 here in Michigan. What I'd be interested in is if you replace, do you go with a 12v system or engine driven or 110v. I need a lot of ice and wonder what system would make ice in trays the best. Is there a thread about the best system of refrigeration on a boat which is used typically away from shorepower?
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 19:14   #21

Boat: Custom 47' sloop
I can expand a little on our system just to give a point of reference. As I mentioned in a post above, we had a domestic 110 volt system converted to a 12 volt system by changing to a Danfoss compressor but using the existing plumbing and cold plates. All in it cost us $800 including the new compressor, I don't know what the cost would be now.

The compressor drives 2 cold plates, one for a 2 cubic foot freezer and the other for a 6.5 cubic foot refrigerator. The thermostat dial on the refrigerator has a scale from 0 to 7, set at 3 it keeps the fridge at the right temperature and everything frozen in the freezer, including ice cream, and makes ice cubes quickly. If we turn it up past 3 the whole fridge starts to turn into a freezer and freeze everything.

We live aboard full time and we spend 80 to 100 days per year off the dock on the hook, in 80+ degree weather the unit draws a total of about 48 amps in a 24 hour period according to our Link 2000. Our system is front loading for live aboard convenience, if it was top loading I think it would be even more efficient.

The unit has worked perfectly for 8 years with no repairs or maintenance required. Hope this helps.
zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator