Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34   #46

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Frigoboat Keel Cooler in the tropics

Was going to use Nanpore , NanoPore Incorporated, they use to supply Glacier Bay with theres. The technology has gotten better, if I get 10 years I will be happy, but apparently these things are lasting longer then that , they are putting them in houses as well so they must be improving them.

This is another supplier, Thermal Visions is a world leader in research, development, and production of Vacuum Insulation Panels (VIP).

There's a lot of information in this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...els-54780.html

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Typhoon,

Where are you sourcing your vacuum panels? How thick is R60? Any sense of cost? Expected life?

Since Glacier Bay stopped making panels, I wasn't aware there was a good source for boat use.

Carl
Although it doesn't hurt to acheive R60, the gain is not that much more efficient than R40
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13   #48
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Sure space limitations always come into play on a boat but on a Dollar per R-value basis it is sure hard to beat 1" or 2" PolyIsoCyanurate insulation in 4ft x 8ft sheets from Home depot for about $22ea. 4" to 5" and you will have a great cruising box.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01   #49

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I agree with this, and used it on a previous boat, but there is one caution. Polyisocyanurate is hygroscopic and will pick up water over time. So if you use it, encapsulate it in plastic or some other vapor barrier.

Other than that, I always wonder why everyone is so hot on blue board - they cost about the same, but one significantly outperforms the other.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:10   #50

Yup...I did 1" of aerogel around the box, wraped that in plastic, then f/g it. Inserted it in it's location, then poured Isocyanate pour foam anywhere from 3'-4"s I'm hoping the foam is far enough away from absorbing
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11   #51

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I agree with this, and used it on a previous boat, but there is one caution. Polyisocyanurate is hygroscopic and will pick up water over time. So if you use it, encapsulate it in plastic or some other vapor barrier.

Other than that, I always wonder why everyone is so hot on blue board - they cost about the same, but one significantly outperforms the other.

Mark
Which is better, blueboard or polyisocyanurate? I am thinking about this project myself using existing boxes make shallower with all new insulation and a new corian-type countertop.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:16   #52

Sorry I wasn't clear. Polyisocyanurate has almost double the insulation value per inch than polyurathane (blue/pink board).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 04-11-2013, 14:18   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. Polyisocyanurate has almost double the insulation value per inch than polyurathane (blue/pink board).

Mark
I believe the blue/pink board you're referring to is extruded Polystyene. It is 4.5-5 R value per inch, while Polyisocyanate board has an R-value of 5,0 per inch.
Old 04-11-2013, 14:29   #54

If you say so. You are correct that I was referring to extruded polystyrene as polyurethane. However, a quick google search gave me several references of R5 for EPS and R8 for PIC. A quick run to Home Depot would probably tell.

Mark

Old 04-11-2013, 14:46   #55

Hi Mark...I received those numbers I quoted off the Internet when I was doing my box.
Old 04-11-2013, 14:59   #56

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

We live in the tropics of North Queensland, Australia. When we decided to get rid of the old motor driven refrigeration system I did much research & eventually installed an Ozefridge eutectic system. The beauty of this is that it is both air & water cooled. The difference is that the water cooling recirculates water from one of our fresh water tanks avoiding any stray damaging currents or through hulls.

The water cooling does not come into contact with the refrigerant as it travels through dedicated pipes in the condenser. The water cooling pump, which is small & draws very little power, only kicks in when it is needed. We have had our system running non-stop for the past 18 months.

No connection with them, just a happy customer.

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 19:55   #57
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Richard Kollmann;1382270]

If it comes with spare O rings, this is not a good sign. What air cooled unit needs spare O ring seals or routine seal replacements?

It appears that Mr. Kollman still does not understand the reason for the inclusion of spare o-rings with Frigoboat refrigeration systems. These spare o-rings are included to be used in the event of damage to an o-ring during installation, and that is the only reason for their existence.
We include spare o-rings on all our systems, including air cooled systems, but they are only included to help an installer in the event of damage during installation.
Frigoboat Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 20:22   #58
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I don't understand the commotion about the need to service a system every 5 years. My old Glacier Bay system needed service every week! The boats that have spend enough time in the tropics know it's better to keep heat outside the cabin. The others don't. This will never change.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 20:48   #59

[QUOTE=Frigoboat Info;1382960]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post

If it comes with spare O rings, this is not a good sign. What air cooled unit needs spare O ring seals or routine seal replacements?

It appears that Mr. Kollman still does not understand the reason for the inclusion of spare o-rings with Frigoboat refrigeration systems. These spare o-rings are included to be used in the event of damage to an o-ring during installation, and that is the only reason for their existence.
We include spare o-rings on all our systems, including air cooled systems, but they are only included to help an installer in the event of damage during installation.
People in this thread have stated they needed to replace them so how do you explain that?
Old 05-11-2013, 13:42   #60
Marine Service Provider

Under normal conditions, and if not distorted or damaged, the o-rings in Frigoboat couplings have a long and trouble-free life. The specifications for these o-rings were upgraded many years ago as there were occasional reports of leaks in extreme conditions. There are a large number of older systems in service with the original spec o-rings installed, but that have never had a problem with leaking o-rings. The current o-rings are unaffected by oils and refrigerants and have a working temperature range from -30C to 100C (-22F to 212F). The Frigoboat couplings should not see temperatures anywhere close to these extremes, except possibly if a Keel Cooled system is run out of the water without a temporary cooling solution. From our experience, we have heard of o-rings that have been suspected of leaking even though it was never definitively proven that they were. Many problems are often mis-diagnosed as refrigerant leaks, and it seems that the o-rings are typically the first target for suspicion if there’s no obvious damage. All one has to do is to run a finger around a coupling to see if there are any traces of clear refrigerant oil, as where refrigerant leaks out there will almost certainly be traces of oil.
Frigoboat Info is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, keel cooler