Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 03:18   #1

Boat: Island Packet 370
Frigoboat Problem

We have finally splashed our boat after almost two years on the hard! We are located in Trinidad. The boat has two Frigoboat keel cooled refrigerators. The one used as a freezer started normally and is running fine. The other box set at Refrigeration temp began cooling the showed dreaded 3 flash compressor unable to start code. I put a bag of ice in the unit to try and help with the hot start.

It will now only begin running after sitting for several hours (assuming head pressure is slow to equalize) . When is does start it runs and cools for maybe half an hour then get the code again.

Have checked voltages and ran a temporary power wire to a known staple power supply. Also removed the thermostat and speed control from equation by a jumper between the C and T terminals on the controller. Get the same results.

This unit has been some what problematic in the past. Before heading to the Caribbean the system was evacuated and recharged because of other issues.

Do you think I have a bad control module or could a problem with the refrigerate be causing this?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Sea Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 14:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Frigoboat Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Lyon View Post
We have finally splashed our boat after almost two years on the hard! We are located in Trinidad. The boat has two Frigoboat keel cooled refrigerators. The one used as a freezer started normally and is running fine. The other box set at Refrigeration temp began cooling the showed dreaded 3 flash compressor unable to start code. I put a bag of ice in the unit to try and help with the hot start.

It will now only begin running after sitting for several hours (assuming head pressure is slow to equalize) . When is does start it runs and cools for maybe half an hour then get the code again.

Have checked voltages and ran a temporary power wire to a known staple power supply. Also removed the thermostat and speed control from equation by a jumper between the C and T terminals on the controller. Get the same results.

This unit has been some what problematic in the past. Before heading to the Caribbean the system was evacuated and recharged because of other issues.

Do you think I have a bad control module or could a problem with the refrigerate be causing this?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Yes your trouble might be linked to a shorted power component in module or just unstable power source. You could switch modules but Your comment about a stable power source concerns me a fully charged battery connected direct to module avoiding interference is the best test if this is a variable speed compressor model.
I have seen this condition show up before but compressor keeps running and not cooling because its motor rotation pulse is mixed up. In one case it was a bad ground some where between module and battery. On anther burnt circuit beaker contacts. My standard trouble shooting would be connect module direct to a battery making sure there is a 15 amp fuse in thec 12 volt power wire and the wire polities are correct. If problem still exists switch modules. If problem still exists the three LED code is unfirming an overload condition caused by most likely too much refrigerant or a combination of blockage and too much refrigerant.

I am sorry this may be confusing but if while on the hard you did not run this unit and no one added refrigerant you can solve problem yourself. You know there is no cooling of evaporator but do you know compressor is not running ? Zero current draw and compressor is not warm. You already know problem is not thermostat or speed control.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:54   #3

Boat: Island Packet 370
Re: Frigoboat Problem

Thanks Oze and Richard. I did a little more digging yesterday and pretty sure I found the problem. On our installation they piggybacked spade connectors to feed the SSC and digital thermostat to the main power supply . I installed a terminal block and removed the multiple spades. Unit has been running 12 hours now. As i think back that unit has in the past been more sensitive to low voltage on the boat. Once again thanks for responding.
Sea Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat