Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2022, 14:08   #1

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40.2 ft
Frozen pump and sump

Its winter here in NE and once again, my keel based sump and pump are encased in ice. Now, should it rain before the ice melts, the sump will eventually overflow into the bilge.

The boat is outside covered with the rig still up, and, when it rains, water enters into the keel stepped mast, down the inside and ends up in the bilge where it collects in the sump. I have winterized the sump pump and drain hose and disconnected the power to the sump pump. For the winter only, I have installed a temporary pump right on top of the existing sump pump, along with a separate drain hose to pump out rainwater that enters. This pump is hardwired to the battery.

The problem occurs when water raises the float switch of this temporary pump before engaging power, then freezes, preventing the float switch to rise any further, thus allowing more rainwater to accumulate and freeze.

Any suggestions to get out of this predicament short of pulling the rig for the winter? I have not figured out how to prevent water from entering the mast.
Dennis McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 14:26   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Frozen pump and sump

Heat? Ad anti-freeze? Garboard thru-hull?
Old 25-01-2022, 14:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis McKay View Post
Its winter here in NE and once again, my keel based sump and pump are encased in ice. Now, should it rain before the ice melts, the sump will eventually overflow into the bilge.

The boat is outside covered with the rig still up, and, when it rains, water enters into the keel stepped mast, down the inside and ends up in the bilge where it collects in the sump. I have winterized the sump pump and drain hose and disconnected the power to the sump pump. For the winter only, I have installed a temporary pump right on top of the existing sump pump, along with a separate drain hose to pump out rainwater that enters. This pump is hardwired to the battery.

The problem occurs when water raises the float switch of this temporary pump before engaging power, then freezes, preventing the float switch to rise any further, thus allowing more rainwater to accumulate and freeze.

Any suggestions to get out of this predicament short of pulling the rig for the winter? I have not figured out how to prevent water from entering the mast.
Agree with Mike. Garboard drain plug.
https://www.perko.com/catalog/catego...d_drain_plugs/
Old 25-01-2022, 14:43   #4

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40.2 ft

Heat for an unattended boat through the winter is too much risk for me.
I use antifreeze, but, it gets pump out every time it rains.
The sump is in the lead keel. I would not want to put a hole in this keel with a plug that is only accessible outside the boat.
Dennis McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 14:51   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Seal the mast. Use a gasket and duct tape. It can be done.

Beyond that, antifreeze and I suppose the plug.
Old 25-01-2022, 14:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis McKay View Post
I would not want to put a hole in this keel with a plug that is only accessible outside the boat.
Why not ? There are hundreds of thousands of them. Been surveying for 30 years and never seen a problem with them.
Old 26-01-2022, 10:19   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

The bilge (Garboard) drain on our boat is a throughhull with a valve in the bilge. Of course it is only opened when the boat is n the hard.

The valve also has a plug for safety, and is installed just above the water level where the bilge pump activates, so it remains dry.

Another approach in case it is of interest.

Cheers! Bill
Old 26-01-2022, 10:33   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I would pour in a couple of gallons of warm -100c antifreeze. It will "thaw out" the ice and keep it from refreezing
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 11:53   #9

Boat: Baba 40

As for the mast, we went through a similar situation. PO used waxed wedges and a canvas collar. We went to the wax toilet ring fix, which worked until the summer hit. End up using Spar-Tite (with no small amount of trepidation), and it’s worked brilliantly for the past 4 years. We haven’t pulled the mast since, but supposedly it’s easy enough to do. Saving those nerves for another day.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump