Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 16:13   #91
Marine Service Provider

Re: FYI: New Danfoss BD35/50 Control Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
According to Richard’s link, it is. At least his link speaks to air cooled and the Secop verbiage said the oil carried the heat to the case, meaning in my opinion air cooled, oil is the medium by which the heat is transmitted to the case.
There are other engineering books like one from Copland compressors that confirms hermetically sealed compressors use sub-cooled returning refrigerant along with air cooling of compressor. Yes on larger than BD compressors oil is used to remove heat by an external oil cooler system but not true on Danfoss BD designs.
The new ester oil can tolerate higher temperatures but experience has shown a mixture of 134a, above normal heat, oil and acid over time will thicken oil restricting refrigerant flow control devices on BD compressors.

Many times when technical terms are not translated correctly to English in documents mistakes are made. I remember one dealing with a filter replacement (Warning when removing filter do not fall down) the correct translation would be do not drop filter.

I believe you will find the reason some system manufacturer of fan cooled compressors are extending compressor warranties to five years is compressor runs cool.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 16:55   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So, as was already posted if we use the return refrigerant to help cool the compressor, why don’t we insulate the return line to keep the line from picking up heat?
I’ve wondered that myself, and can’t come up with a logical reason not to insulate the low side line.
I guess maybe because it’s deemed to not be necessary?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:10   #93
cruiser

Quote:
So, as was already posted if we use the return refrigerant to help cool the compressor, why don’t we insulate the return line to keep the line from picking up heat?
I’ve wondered that myself, and can’t come up with a logical reason not to insulate the low side line.
I guess maybe because it’s deemed to not be necessary?
We have always insulated, and it also helps to prevent condensation dripping where it can cause harm. We use and recommend rubber 'Insulex' or similar and seal the ends. Many other system manufacturers also insulate for the same reasons.

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:54   #94
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Is it not the case that by now Waeco / Dometic are the 800lb gorilla in numbers shipped globally?

Is ARB still independent? They use Secop correct?

A whole bunch of Aussies swore to me both of those are more energy efficient than Engel these days. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 18:02   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FYI: New Danfoss BD35/50 Control Module

I don’t really see the Engle as being all the efficient, it’s not bad.
Just with the thin box it can’t be super insulated, which is the key to efficiency, of course give it a good insulated box and it gets bigger and heavier with no increase in capacity, and it’s main market may not like that.
The swing compressor is neat, fewer moving parts and mechanically less complex, but it does vibrate and I doubt it’s more efficient than a regular crankshaft and rod compressor, just a neat way to skin a cat.
It is by its operating principle a soft start, and as long as the spring doesn’t break it may be very long lived.
Old 10-06-2018, 18:06   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’ll see if I can’t find some small tube insulation, but it’s tiny compared to residential line, so it may not be easy.
I’ll look for the insulex.
Old 10-06-2018, 19:16   #97
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

closed cell elastomeric flexible sheeting, like for pipes and HVAC ducting but thin, tape it around

Ensolite, K-Flex Insul-Sheet are US examples.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:22   #98
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I don’t really see the Engle as being all the efficient, it’s not bad.
Just with the thin box it can’t be super insulated, which is the key to efficiency, of course give it a good insulated box and it gets bigger and heavier with no increase in capacity, and it’s main market may not like that.
The swing compressor is neat, fewer moving parts and mechanically less complex, but it does vibrate and I doubt it’s more efficient than a regular crankshaft and rod compressor, just a neat way to skin a cat.
It is by its operating principle a soft start, and as long as the spring doesn’t break it may be very long lived.
Systems with TXV flow control do develop frost on return line until evaporator reaches a sustained temperature. Insulation is then used to eliminate moisture. Capillary tube systems generally are designed to eliminate the excessive flow of liquid refrigerant as long as they are not over charged with refrigerant. All systems are designed to prevent oil and liquid refrigerant from being trapped in low pressure side of a system using some type of liquid accumulator.

I represent no favored refrigeration company or job shop that assemblies Ice box conversion refrigeration. No one should infer I am referring to their product unless I mention the product by name.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:14   #99
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
There are other engineering books like one from Copland compressors that confirms hermetically sealed compressors use sub-cooled returning refrigerant along with air cooling of compressor. Yes on larger than BD compressors oil is used to remove heat by an external oil cooler system but not true on Danfoss BD designs.
The new ester oil can tolerate higher temperatures but experience has shown a mixture of 134a, above normal heat, oil and acid over time will thicken oil restricting refrigerant flow control devices on BD compressors.

Many times when technical terms are not translated correctly to English in documents mistakes are made. I remember one dealing with a filter replacement (Warning when removing filter do not fall down) the correct translation would be do not drop filter.

I believe you will find the reason some system manufacturer of fan cooled compressors are extending compressor warranties to five years is compressor runs cool.

We have found the translation from some languages to be very poor . In particular our digital controllers , customers would call us and ask how to change a setting on this ##@%!! thing because they could not figure out the manual . This is one of the reason we went to a different controller entirely, one with a much better manual and put a video on our website to assist as well. These units are more money to purchase but saves time on the phone .

Our compressors stay very cool , dual fans helps as well . The TXV allows frost on the return pipe during cool down as Mr Kollmann has said . This works to the systems advantage , when the compressor is working the hardest during initial box cool down and creating a lot of heat. The TXV is in the open position and allows more refrigerant flow, this in turns helps cool down the compressor from the still cool refrigerant reaching all the way back to the compressor . Once the box temperature is reached the TXV closes and the frost recedes to just a few inches out side the box . At this point the compressor has very little load on it and creates very little heat .

Regards John
www.coldeh.com
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 20:16   #100

Hopefully this is the correct place to post:
I have a 101N0500 controller on a BD35 compressor (Waeco fridge), it works fine on 12v but on 240v all that happens is the display and led error light constantly flickers - not flashes. Compressor or fan won't run.
Could this possibly be a relay (marked in the image??) that controls 240v/12v not holding in?
Any thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	174603  
kev071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 20:54   #101
cruiser

Kev, we used hundreds of these AC-DC 101N0500 motor driver modules on Danfoss BD50 compressors up until about ten years ago. They tend to fail on the AC section of the module but continue to operate fine on DC only. We believe they were not viable to repair instead suggest continue using from DC battery supply and use a separate AC to DC charger to maintain battery. We found that the module being subject to all sorts of messy AC supply was the likely cause of their failure.

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 22:00   #102

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

It sure looks like a relay, and it's also a very good bet that the it is toast.
I've run across the same one in a thermostat, and another one in a marine combination washer/dryer.

I found the replacement on eBay for under ten dollars.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 02:12   #103

Thanks for the replies, I’ll try and get some numbers and check out ebay.
kev071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 20:21   #104

Its not a relay its a X type capacitor across the mains. The switching is solid state from 240v AC to 12V DC. Shown is a picture of where the TVS is on those modules, they can go short circuit if the DC is reverse polarity. ( This board the 240V had a major melt down so removed the 240V parts & just use it on 12V.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DANFOSS.  101NO500. TVS diode.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	182957  
DeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 17:17   #105
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
No, to repairing modules. Rich, is correct I know of no one repairing them. I still test modules and you pay only shipping. There are four other small 12/24 volt less expensive compressor manufactures with electronic modules but I can only test Danfoss BD2, BD2.5, BD3, BD35 and BD50 modules.
There is a company in Poland repairing these controllers I have had 2 repaired by them ! https://www.hesta.pl/pl/