Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2021, 10:29   #16

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: Gas burner does not stay on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdattwell View Post
My force 10 does that on an off , some times is fine ,sometimes not so much . It comes and goes . Sometimes i hold in longer than normal , 1 minute or two and then stays on ... sometimes I get fed up and I stick a wooden spoon between the oven handle and the burner knob and I cook pasta . Then the morning after it works just fine , like nothing ever happened...? And stays like that for a month or two ... then it happens again ! Doesn’t get better or worse , it’s just the way it is
Check my above post. That is EXACTLY what mine did until it finally wouldn't work. The check is easy for the common problem and the repair is easier and costs nothing, just a small piece of tin foil to act as a spacer.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 20:45   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I had the same problem and I called force 10, they said to pull off the burner knob and then put it back on. It works every time.

It seems the knob gets pushed in to far and just needs to be pulled out a little. Adding washers as spacers under the knobs may fix it permanently but I just pull the knobs off and put them back on once and a while.
Mike Crothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 21:07   #18

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

1. Possibly the jet is clogged, preventing the flame to burn correctly which prevents the thermocouple from operating. Clean as suggested, I use a thin strand of an electrical wire so as not to change the size of the opening
  2. Possibly there is ash or soot or dirt in the tube from the gas knob to the jet (less likely with that model of force 10) which can be blown out
  3. Perhaps the thermocouple pipe which screws onto the back of the valve behind the knob is not making good electrical contact. This can be adjusted as per the instructions
  4. It could be as simple as some rust or dirt which is keeping a good flame from getting to the thermocouple probe (like a lose or poorly seated cap)
  5. Or maye the "Push in, spring out", knob mechanism is sticking, needs cleaning and light lubrication
Old 17-07-2021, 22:29   #19

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crothers View Post
I had the same problem and I called force 10, they said to pull off the burner knob and then put it back on. It works every time.

It seems the knob gets pushed in to far and just needs to be pulled out a little. Adding washers as spacers under the knobs may fix it permanently but I just pull the knobs off and put them back on once and a while.
A small wad of tin foil to prevent the knob from being pushed in is pretty much permanent fix
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 01:24   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiramor View Post
. Also, I am not convinced its thermocouple - [B]why is this one burner behaving differently to the others when I light it in the first place? .
Each burner has its own thermocouple!
Otherwise if one burner was alight, the other two/three burners could emit gas freely without burning with no protection.
Old 19-07-2021, 10:28   #21

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Had same issue, just swapped the knob for the uncooperative burner with a known working one. 15 seconds and problem solved. They both work perfectly now
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 15:08   #22

Boat: Beneteau 461
Send a message via Skype™ to suiramor

Indeed just removing and replacing back the knob fixed it. Thank you! I will still do the vinegar cleanup for good measure.
suiramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 13:24   #23

Boat: Beneteau 461
Send a message via Skype™ to suiramor

How do I remove the nozzles? I don't want to start un-screwing things randomly in the hope of getting to the nozzle as I usually end up with loose nuts dropping into inaccessible crevices or extra screws. Attached is the top view of my oven. Any help greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210825_131500_LI.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	244236
suiramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 13:36   #24

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiramor View Post
How do I remove the nozzles? I don't want to start un-screwing things randomly in the hope of getting to the nozzle as I usually end up with loose nuts dropping into inaccessible crevices or extra screws. Attached is the top view of my oven. Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachment 244236
The nozzle has a hex head shape, like a bolt. You just unscrew it. I use a nut driver with a 9/32 socket. A little sticky substance (like syrup) might ensure the nozzle comes out as you withdraw the socket.