Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2021, 04:22   #1

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch
Gas cooker installation

Hello People
We are about to install a gas cooker and related system aboard a 44’ ketch. This is to replace an old paraffin ( kero) system that we have decided is too much hard work and too damaging to our newly painted galley. My plan is to use the American ( USA) type system as the British ( inland waterway) arrangement seems to be less safe with its many joiners and connections. So, two questions:
Can i use jubilee clips ( worm clips?) for the high pressure abrasion resistant hose (to US standard) or must i get flared crimp ones?
Should i put the entire run ( about 4m or 12’) into conduit or is the ability to inspect it more important.
To clarify the system ( not yet purchased) in my head…two 6kg gas bottles in a purpose made locker that drains overboard. A manual changeover , solenoid and bubble tester all inside the locker. One length of approved hose to the cooker ( maybe in a conduit) the gas alarm/solenoid switch will be mounted next to the cooker but in a location where I don’t have to lean over flame to operate it.
Please feel completely free to critique advise or suggest alternatives.
I will have the completed system checked by a qualified engineer before use.
Many thanks in advance
Ros and David
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 04:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Gas cooker installation

You are doing just fine. A couple of notes:

Have the hose made up with proper gas connections on the ends - no hose clamps. No junctions outside the box. Include a low pressure gauge in the box, so that you can detect a leak after you shut off the gas - the pressure should be maintained in the low pressure hose. That's better than a bubble test. Add a gas detector/alarm below the stove.
Old 24-06-2021, 04:56   #3

Here are some installation guidelines from our very own boatpoker (Forum Member):

Safe Propane Installation
Safe Boat Propane System Installation

If you'd like some other North American resources, use "ABYC safe gas stove installation" in a google search. ABYC is the current North American safety standard. Hope that helps.

Good luck!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 13:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
You are doing just fine. A couple of notes:

Have the hose made up with proper gas connections on the ends - no hose clamps. No junctions outside the box. Include a low pressure gauge in the box, so that you can detect a leak after you shut off the gas - the pressure should be maintained in the low pressure hose. That's better than a bubble test. Add a gas detector/alarm below the stove.

Many thanks for your time. I will get the hoses made up properly.
David
Old 24-06-2021, 13:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Here are some installation guidelines from our very own boatpoker (Forum Member):

Safe Propane Installation
Safe Boat Propane System Installation

If you'd like some other North American resources, use "ABYC safe gas stove installation" in a google search. ABYC is the current North American safety standard. Hope that helps.

Good luck!
Warmly,
LittleWing77

Hey LittleWing
Thanks for the link. It would appear that i have had my annual good idea. This guy doesn’t much like the EU standards either. It’s quite scary how cavalier some boat builders can be still. I once saw a ‘crash test’ video of a gas explosion done by YBW ( i think) which scared me enough to cancel our planned gas cooker. Now the threat of my lovely lady never cooking on board again scares me more [emoji846]. She is a great cook and loves to produce great food but not so keen on the blowtorch to heat the paraffin or the blackened ceiling panels. Thanks again.
David

Tags
installation