Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2020, 15:42   #1

Gas stove lights, and then goes out.

I have a 2000 Bavaria 40', with a "Bavaria" 2 burner gas stove.
Light up a ring on the stove and things are fine, then a minute later it'll shut off on its own . Ignite it again, and it will stay lit.
Anyone had intermittent issues with gas stoves like this before ?
Any ideas ?
DBooton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 16:17   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Gas stove lights, and then goes out.

There are usually thermocouples that shut off the flow of gas if the burner isn't lit. (Flame goes out, the thermocouples soon cool, and the flow of gas is then cut off.) This means holding in the knob until they have warmed up enough to keep the gas flowing, at which point the burner should stay lit.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 16:20   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

If you have an electric solenoid to the gas bottles, and a long run, you can end up after a while with some gas in the system but air in it too. I've noticed this "lights, then goes out, then works fine" thing.

Also, of course, this happens if you've forgotten to switch on the solenoid in the past, lit the gas (which works for a few seconds while the pipe empties but then dies), and then left it like that (air in the pipe).

On the other hand you say "a minute later". If it's really a minute (and not a couple of seconds), then I'd possibly start suspecting something like the thermocouple having a fault.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30   #4

Thank you both. I hadn't considered the thermocouple, but as it's a 20 year old appliance, then that may make sense. I'll see if these are serviceable items.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:12   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have that issue on my boat as well. It's finicky. Most days hold the knob in for 20 or 30 seconds and alls well. Other days, forget it. The thermocouples get covered in carbon? from use. Use sandpaper and clean that stuff off. Makes a world of difference.

I'm so tired of it I'm going LiFEPo4 and induction plates and a toaster oven.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:54   #6

We're leaning the same way. Ditch the propane cylinders, stove, et al. there are a lot of benefits to be had.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:16   #7

Regulators fail often.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:57   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
There are usually thermocouples that shut off the flow of gas if the burner isn't lit. (Flame goes out, the thermocouples soon cool, and the flow of gas is then cut off.) This means holding in the knob until they have warmed up enough to keep the gas flowing, at which point the burner should stay lit.
Or make sure the thermocouple is close enough to the burner.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:06   #9

Had a similar issue with our ENO gas stove traced the problem to the electric solenoid at the tank ,sounded like the valve opened when powered up but in fact valve was only opening a small amount not allowing enough gas to the stove
Replaced valve worked fine ever since
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 14:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

We have an ENO 3 burner which had same issues. First thing to check is the burners. as they age the cover plate starts to drop flakes of carbon etc down onto the actual burners. give them a really good bump out and clean regularly. If no joy then it's probably in the control knob assembly section. There is a small built in solenoid under the knob. Remove the complete knob / control section and carefully dismantle each solenoid. Take care to lay everything out in order so you get it back together correctly. They get a build up of crap and stick. I clean mine by applying lots of silicon spray to flush out the unit. Use only silicon spray and not wd40 or similar as the silicon spray will completely dry out whereas others will leave an oily residue which will attract more crap. Blow out as much of the spray as you can then reassemble. This is a bit fiddly so go slow and be patient. Double check everything is tight and all should be good. I've done this twice on our stove and as have several friends all with positive results.
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 14:57   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
As an after thought be sure it doesn't have a carbon build up on it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 19:58   #12

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I have had the same issue with our Force 10 Stove, it has always been dirt in the Burners, i just clean them up and then there is no problem anymore.
Make sure the burner tops are free from loose rust and dirt as well as this disrupts the gas flow and can effect the thermocoupler.
You need to clean regularly as just a small amount of dirt makes a big difference in the operation of the burner.
To clean the gas jet use a single strand of copper electrical wire and gently put in and out of the jet to clear any dirt.
Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:41   #13

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Op's stove is 20 years old, though, and they might well find a new one would be a welcome upgrade, particularly going for a good quality three burner...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 17:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
you could also clean the holes where the propane comes out, more flow more heat to the thermocouple.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 18:33   #15

Usually these systems use a millivolt valve which keeps both the pilot and main burner lit so long as the thermopile recieves adequate heat. Eventually the valve itself wears out, they do usually last a long time. Sometimes a hard oxide forms on the thermopile reducing the heat transfer and lowering the voltage. Some valves have mercury in a bulb that expands and that holds opens the gas flow valve. Coming to think of it, stoves tend to have the mercury bulb and heaters tend to have the milivolt valve.

The first thing to do is clean the nozzle if possible and the surfaces of the bulb which is heated to improve heat transfer. If that brings no success, check the actual gas pressure or just replace the regulator. Its not a very expensive component. If that brings nothing then see if you can get a replacement part from the manufacturer. Sometimes throwing parts at it can be uneconomic so first be aware of what a new unit would cost you.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove