Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2023, 08:47   #1

Boat: Boréal 47
General questions about propane refit - solenoid gauge

I am upgrade my propane system. Previous system was corroded and removed by previous owner. All I have is a 1/4" compression fitting on the supply line.

My 2 questions:

1- Trident Marine regulators are very expensive compared to generic RV alternatives. Considering 4-5 year expected lifetime, is Trident worth buying?

2- My solenoid run will be 20-25 feet. What wire gauge should I use? Documentation is very unclear on amperage (in the case of Trident non-existent).

Thanks in advance.
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 08:53   #2

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: General questions about propane refit - solenoid gauge

OK....a general answer....
Years back, when I was considering a propane setup, I vented to a buddy about the very high cost of the relay. He set to and searched it out. Seems the very same part number and image was from an industrial supplier for something like $17.00
Anecdotal; but there ya go
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 09:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

It would help if you at least included your location along with your moniker.
In Canada we have places like this ... https://www.fairviewfittings.com/pro...d-natural-gas/

Search out an industrial dealer.
Old 30-12-2023, 09:54   #4

Boat: Columbia 36

I've put the Xintex Fireboy system in three boats now, no experience with the Trident line but the prices are about the same. I'd have to look really hard at an RV system before I'd buy it. I've used quite a bit of RV stuff in boats, often it's the same as marine labelled, but I'd be real careful with something as dangerous as propane. Do they have an alarm system with auto shut off built in? I wouldn't do a propane system without that.
The control panel draws very little power, the solenoid in the tank locker is the consumer. Not sure what that draw is off hand but they get hot so it's fairly substantial. I used 14 gauge on all mine, I never go smaller than that for any current carrying conductors. Bigger than needed is fine, just don't go smaller. The instructions may have said what gauge to use, but I buy 14-2 cable 100 feet at a time and use it as needed as long as it's the same or bigger than specified.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 11:35   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The propane solenoid draws one amp. Trident and Fireboy are ridiculously overpriced. I'd put in an RV regulator and solenoid. They should go inside your sealed propane tank enclosure and stay dry.

If you want more protection with a sniffer inside the boat and automatic shutoff, suck it up and get the Fireboy system.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 11:38   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Another potential source is the solonoids they use in dual fuel vehicles.
Old 30-12-2023, 11:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The propane solenoid draws one amp. Trident and Fireboy are ridiculously overpriced. I'd put in an RV regulator and solenoid. They should go inside your sealed propane tank enclosure and stay dry.

If you want more protection with a sniffer inside the boat and automatic shutoff, suck it up and get the Fireboy system.
I just looked up RV propane systems. None of them had the sniffer. AYBC only requires a valve at the tank that can be remotely closed from the stove. A simple on+off switch and a gas solenoid, about $30, would comply. But in my opinion running a system without the sniffer and auto shut off is just short of suicide. And don't come anywhere near my boat with that setup.
Trident and Fireboy are probably equal quality, I chose Fireboy because it's a local company here in Grand Rapids and I know people who work there.
Old 30-12-2023, 12:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I just looked up RV propane systems. None of them had the sniffer.
I suggest you take another look. Search "rv propane gas detector alarm" on Amazon, there are many of them. I built my own for even lower cost using all UL listed parts.

One can take one of these very inexpensive panels and wire the alarm to the solenoid for auto-shut-off function at a fraction of the "marine" price.
Old 30-12-2023, 12:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I suggest you take another look. Search "rv propane gas detector alarm" on Amazon, there are many of them. I built my own for even lower cost using all UL listed parts.

One can take one of these very inexpensive panels and wire the alarm to the solenoid for auto-shut-off function at a fraction of the "marine" price.
Well I said that the wrong way around. There were lots of alarms but none with the gas control circuit. If you want to build your own, ok.
Old 30-12-2023, 13:42   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Well I said that the wrong way around. There were lots of alarms but none with the gas control circuit. If you want to build your own, ok.
Took me 30 seconds to find this one advertised in an RV mag.
https://www.mtiindustries.com/produc...e-control-kit/
Old 30-12-2023, 18:36   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The OP needs to tell us where he is, because propane systems come in all flavors.

The Europeans want copper tubing, with a shutoff valve near the stove. The Americans don't want any connections outside of the propane locker, so you are stuck with long hose runs. The Aussies won't let you DIY at all.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 18:55   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
1- Trident Marine regulators are very expensive compared to generic RV alternatives. Considering 4-5 year expected lifetime, is Trident worth buying?
They will likely last more than 4-5 years. That said, be sure you're comparing apples to apples. The trident products usually include gauges, fittings, and hoses that may not be included with competing regs.

The thing about standards, Andrew S. Tannenbaum once observed, is that there are so many from which to choose. If you build a package up yourself out of RV/household/industrial parts, be sure everything will connect. Some regulators expect inverted flare inputs, some expect NPT. Think about how you will mount the reg and about connections through whatever solenoid valve you decide to use.

You can save money by using a single tank regulator and switching the hose yourself rather than getting an auto-changeover setup.

Good luck. Be careful.

Quote:
2- My solenoid run will be 20-25 feet. What wire gauge should I use? Documentation is very unclear on amperage (in the case of Trident non-existent).

18 gauge is sufficient, or you can use 16 or 14 if you've standardized on that.
Old 30-12-2023, 20:06   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
I am upgrade my propane system. Previous system was corroded and removed by previous owner. All I have is a 1/4" compression fitting on the supply line.

My 2 questions:

Thanks in advance.
If you are in the US PM me an email address and I'll send you the ABYC electrical and propane standards and you can look these issues up by yourself. Don't be surprised if contradict some of the responses you have here.
Old 31-12-2023, 00:38   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Trident 12VDC Low Pressure Brass Solenoid – #1300-7708.2-Kit [1/4"] &/or #1300-7706.2-Kit [3/8"]
Draws 0.790 Amps [790mA], when open.
https://tridentmarine.com/product/12...00-7708-2-kit/

#16AGW Cu wire will be adequate, up to a total of ± 90 feet of wire [Pos + Neg].

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 06:27   #15

With all the argument about other parts, people are missing something… you say you have a “compression fitting”. Those do not meet standard for propane. Flare fittings only..

Quote:
The Europeans want copper tubing, with a shutoff valve near the stove. The Americans don't want any connections outside of the propane locker, so you are stuck with long hose runs. The Aussies won't let you DIY at all.
And that is wrong. ABYC has always allowed a connection to a flexible hose at a gimbaled stove, for example. I suggest you read the current standards yourself. They are clearly written and easy to understand. Trying to assemble a proper system from the fragmentary and occasionally incorrect comments here will never be possible.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refit