Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2023, 14:20   #1

Boat: Amel 50
Gobius C - Is It Really This Bad?

I recently purchased the new Gobius C continuous tank monitor, and am having an awful time getting it configured, calibrated and operating.
  • The documentation is minimal to non-existent.
  • The installation / calibration app is something that is run via a special browser called Bluefy, and barely works.
  • I'm not able to get beyond the calibration step.
  • Even if the installation succeeded, there's apparently no app available to actually monitor the tank via Bluetooth.

Has anyone else tried this product? If so, am I missing something?

I know Gobius was recently sold to a private equity fund, and has landed some big contracts with European sailboat manufacturers (e.g. Hanse). Have they have lost their focus on innovation, quality and service as a result?
Old 05-02-2023, 15:26   #2

Re: Gobius C - Is It Really This Bad?

Erratum… Gobius wasn’t sold to private equity. They announced their sale to Albin Marine, another Swedish marine supply company, last August. They subsequently announced that the deal fell through. Maybe that explains things. Mergers & acquisitions are very disruptive leading up to the deal (due diligence, contract negotiations, etc.) and can often leave a company reeling if they fall through at the eleventh hour.

Just an FYI. Would still appreciate any advice to get this thing working!
Old 06-02-2023, 06:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

If you can return it, I suggest you do so and replace it with SCAD Scad Tank Monitors They're top rated,reasonably priced and a US company.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 14:12   #4

I installed Gobius Pro three sensors last year. Works great although a bit bulky. Bought the "C" last fall. Software is crap indeed. It is some kind of weird Web app that runs on the phone. Since it's winter around here, I was able to test it only with plastic storage box and Android phone. Seems working. The same app is supposed to measure the level once sensor has been added and calibrated. Not sure if you need internet connection for regular measurements. Mr. Meiton should really come up with a regular app. Try Android phone for now.
vladkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkri View Post
I installed Gobius Pro three sensors last year. Works great although a bit bulky. Bought the "C" last fall. Software is crap indeed. It is some kind of weird Web app that runs on the phone. Since it's winter around here, I was able to test it only with plastic storage box and Android phone. Seems working. The same app is supposed to measure the level once sensor has been added and calibrated. Not sure if you need internet connection for regular measurements. Mr. Meiton should really come up with a regular app. Try Android phone for now.
Thank you. Very similar experience, except with an iPhone (also testing with a plastic jug on my workbench during the winter), but I never get past calibration. I did hear back from Mr. Melton offering to help, but when I accepted and proposed dates for a call, he went characteristically silent again. I suspect returning it for a refund would be equally frustrating if not impossible.

The software is absolutely horrible and behaves differently each time I access it. I'm a few days from writing it off and going for Peg's suggestion regarding a SCAD monitor.
Old 25-06-2023, 13:49   #6
DCF

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

My holding tanks on my Jeanneau 409 are behind wood panels that are bonded to the interior fiberglass so putting a sensor on the outside of the tanks like the SCAD is not possible without a lot of destruction. I recently purchased a GobiusC revision 1 and installed it on my forward holding tank last week. I had trouble getting it to calibrate but after doing some reading, I realized that my holding tank was actually too full (the fluid level needs to be a minimum distance from the sensor for calibration). I pumped out the tank and then refilled it halfway with clean water. I restarted the calibration process and the GobiusC started working. I was able to fill the tank and then pump it out all the time watching the level change in realtime. I did note that when the tank was fully pumped out the GobiusC indicated that it was about 16% and when it was full it indicated about 96%. The pumpout does not completely empty the tank so the indicated level is probably pretty close. I do agree that the app could be much better but by putting a shortcut on my iPhone, I can quickly check the level in my holding tank. There are other option for monitoring the tank level output of the GobuisC such as the Victron Cerbo GX that I may upgrade to in the future. For now, I will order another GobiusC for my other holding tank and try to use the BlueFy interface for a while. I hope this helps.
DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 14:52   #7

I’m glad it’s working for you. I had no such luck. It would intermittently work, but most of the time show full when empty or empty when full. The user interface is incredibly awkward and the support is non-existent. The CEO is apparently the only perso taking support requests and he could use some customer relations training. I wasted a lot of money and time with Gobius products because the concepts are good. When they announced a new version, I asked the CEO if there was an upgrade path for those who suffered through version 1 of the Gobius C. All he could come up with was, “yes, you can order a v2 at full price.” I for one am so done with this company and it’s so-called technology. SCAD is the way to go if it fits.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 15:20   #8
DCF

I am concerned to hear that it has worked intermitently for you. I only installed it last week so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. I did notice on the GobiusC website there is an option to upgrade the device from version 1 to version 2 for $49. I wonder whether version 2 is more reliable. Sending it back to Europe doesn't sound like fun. Maybe I will hold up on ordering the second device for now.
Old 25-06-2023, 17:40   #9

Finally installed it. Big disappointment. It requires significant clearance at the top of the tank. If the connector was sideways there could have been 1cm less needed. But most of all the software is real crap. It forgets the sensor once it's off. Furthermore, if sensor is powered off, it also forgets everything and you must go through pairing, calibration etc. I'm still to figure out how to specify non-square tank. What is "A" and "B"? Should have bought couple "Pro" because in the end all I need is to not overfill water tanks
vladkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:23   #10
DCF

I went ahead and purchased a second Gobius C from the manufacturer to install on my second holding tank. It is working well. I have not experienced the issue of the sensor being forgotten when the sensor is off. My sensors are seemlessly found including the calibration when power is reapplied. I am very happy with these sensors. The only glitch I currently have is that one sensor is a version 1 and the other a version 2 and you can't look at both sensor versions on the same session of the Bluefy app. My work around is to look at each sensor on a different device, one on my iPad and the other on my iPhone. I talked to the manufacturer and they are developing a new version of the app that will allow both versions of the sensor to be viewed on the same device. I am also happy with the support so far.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:40   #11

We just installed a v1 on our Dufour 34. It’s connected to a Wema holding tank gauge with two lighting colors we use as level alerts.

It took an extra pass for the A and B tank dimensions to take, but it did end up configuring correctly. Yes, the web interface is clunky, but we generally connect these kinds of things to something else for easier use.

We are seeing the problem where it jumps between the correct measurement and 100%. I suspect it is related to the tank shape - ours is tall and narrow. It’s probably a firmware fix, so I am hopeful.

We have had a SCAD monitor in the past, and it didn’t work very well. Over the past 20 years, we have tried a bunch of different solutions. The best so far without putting something in the tank has been a Gobius 4. I’m very hopeful for the C - the design is clever and a good solution. They may just be stretched a bit thin right now.
FrogPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2023, 07:53   #12

Boat: Marlow hunter 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPrints View Post
We just installed a v1 on our Dufour 34. It’s connected to a Wema holding tank gauge with two lighting colors we use as level alerts.
Would love to know how you connected the Gobius C to your Wema holding tank gauge. Can you share any details?

Thanks!
tfox2069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2023, 08:14   #13

Just to piggyback on what DCF mentioned, there are four requirements for the sensor to calibrate correctly that I can see in the online documentation, some of which will pose an issue for a "jug on a bench" that is not the sensor's fault:

1. The tank thickness must be 12mm or less for polyethelene, 8mm for fiberglass, and 5 mm for glass
2. Sensor installed 35mm from the side of the tank
3. The top of the liquid in the tank must be at least 6 in from the sensor
4. The tank must be 8" deep as a minimum

The documentation online looks pretty good, and is step-by-step:

https://gobius.org/installation/

Possibly looking to purchase one for my fuel tank if the clearance is sufficient (2.7" on top of the tank).
Old 19-10-2023, 08:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox2069 View Post
Would love to know how you connected the Gobius C to your Wema holding tank gauge. Can you share any details?
The ‘C’ has an analog output that can be set to Euro or US resistance ranges (software selectable). Just connect that to the sensor input on the WEMA. I also connected the two digital outputs of the Gobius to the two LED wires on the WEMA and configured them to turn on at 75% and 90% tank capacity. It was all quite easy.

Gobius has a dedicated app coming, which should be easier than the web-over-Bluetooth configuration interface they currently use.

These are accurate, easy to install, easy to integrate devices at a reasonable price. Out of all the systems we’ve tried over the last 20 years, it’s definitely my preferred option so far.
FrogPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2023, 09:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPrints View Post
The ‘C’ has an analog output that can be set to Euro or US resistance ranges (software selectable). Just connect that to the sensor input on the WEMA. I also connected the two digital outputs of the Gobius to the two LED wires on the WEMA and configured them to turn on at 75% and 90% tank capacity. It was all quite easy.

Gobius has a dedicated app coming, which should be easier than the web-over-Bluetooth configuration interface they currently use.

These are accurate, easy to install, easy to integrate devices at a reasonable price. Out of all the systems we’ve tried over the last 20 years, it’s definitely my preferred option so far.
Thanks for the quick, and helpful reply. I previously installed a Gobius Pro sensor on a waste tank whose sensor had failed, and it was impossible to remove/replace. It worked great with their bluetooth app and I never had to guess, or put a flashlight on the tank again. Fingers crossed I have the vertical clearance for the C.