Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2022, 16:58   #1

Boat: Southerly 480
Gravity drain holding tank: prevent gunk build-up in drain hose?

Our new boat has gravity drain holding tanks already plumbed. We're not going to be offshore for a good 18-24 months, and I'm worried when I pump-out that I won't get the sludge from the hose from the tank to thru-hull pumped out. It's a good 10' for each tank. Worst case is they clog and when we do get offshore, the tanks won't drain.

I think the easiest solution is to add a ball valve immediately after the tank on the drain hose. I can close this and prevent sludge from building up on the rest of the hose. Bonus is that I could remove the handle on this valve and still be able to exercise the thru-hulls.

Am I just paranoid here, or is this a good idea?

TIA
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 17:37   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Gravity drain holding tank: prevent gunk build-up in drain hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
Our new boat has gravity drain holding tanks already plumbed. We're not going to be offshore for a good 18-24 months, and I'm worried when I pump-out that I won't get the sludge from the hose from the tank to thru-hull pumped out. It's a good 10' for each tank. Worst case is they clog and when we do get offshore, the tanks won't drain.

I think the easiest solution is to add a ball valve immediately after the tank on the drain hose. I can close this and prevent sludge from building up on the rest of the hose. Bonus is that I could remove the handle on this valve and still be able to exercise the thru-hulls.

Am I just paranoid here, or is this a good idea?

TIA
Hi, in my opinion the concept is eminently sensible and how I would have done it originally.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 17:40   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I put a PVC ball valve on the gravity drain tank I just installed for exactly that reason. ( I also had put one on our previous boat when I installed that holding tank.) I've got a 1-1/2" PVC Tee screwed onto the tank outlet with vertical PVC to above tank level then short 4" section of hose to the deck pumpout, ball valve screwed to the bottom of the Tee, then hose to the seacock, my goal being to minimize sewage sitting in hoses.
Note that it won't empty the hose if it can't pull air in behind the "slug" of fluid (which it does when the tank is empty and air can go down the "drain"), and even any hose above static waterline level will still have fluid in it. Fortunately mine is only a couple feet to the seacock. If something does plug, I can shove a garden house down the deck fitting, straight down through the tee all the way to the seacock.... of course, a different garden hose than I'd use for filling my watertanks!
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 17:49   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
I put a PVC ball valve on the gravity drain tank I just installed for exactly that reason. ( I also had put one on our previous boat when I installed that holding tank.) I've got a 1-1/2" PVC Tee screwed onto the tank outlet with vertical PVC to above tank level then short 4" section of hose to the deck pumpout, ball valve screwed to the bottom of the Tee, then hose to the seacock, my goal being to minimize sewage sitting in hoses.
Note that it won't empty the hose if it can't pull air in behind the "slug" of fluid (which it does when the tank is empty and air can go down the "drain"), and even any hose above static waterline level will still have fluid in it. Fortunately mine is only a couple feet to the seacock. If something does plug, I can shove a garden house down the deck fitting, straight down through the tee all the way to the seacock.... of course, a different garden hose than I'd use for filling my watertanks!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 18:11   #5

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
If something does plug, I can shove a garden house down the deck fitting, straight down through the tee all the way to the seacock.... of course, a different garden hose than I'd use for filling my watertanks!
Well played! I nearly snorted my favorite beverage while reading!
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank