Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33   #16

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Re: Gray water holding tank? Oi 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkusaj View Post
Yeah that's what I'm in the process of doing. I wonder how many people your arrogance chases off on this site? I'm a horse trainer I would love to see you all in my world.
Not trying to be arrogant just giving advise. Because the boat surely can sink and kill someone if you dont know these basic things. And you can be sure I would ask for help way before I bought a horse and brought him/her home..... Not knowing and asking for help does not make one stupid.... actually makes them smart.

Again, Good Luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:50   #17

Well that's what I'm here trying to do. I completely understand the system now. It's not rocket science. I still have a problem understanding having a hole in the bottom of your boat. Boating 101 don't put a hole in the bottom of your boat
Gkusaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:53   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Take another look at your survey. Your surveyor should have provided a sketch showing location and purpose of each throughull. Something like this............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	201389  
Old 12-10-2019, 08:57   #19

Boat: 29 ft

Boating 101 of not putting a hole in your boat has a point. These holes are the second most likely cause of boat loss ... That's why you have to look after whatever is holding these holes shut. And there are people who go to the trouble of doing without these holes. It is possible. An outboard instead of an inboard. A little plastic container for doing the dishes that you discharge over the side once you have finished. A porta potty or whatever for your personal discharge. The echosounder can be glued to the inside of the hull unless the hull is cored, so, no need for a hole as well. Now, we are still stuck with the log and its hole. Here, things get a bit more difficult. But in todays world, you might consider a GPS based log is enough. Or you find an old pull behind the boat log. The self draining cockpit can drain through the transom, no need for under water discharge. The rudder can be transom hung, again one hole less.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:08   #20

I paid $700 for this boat with a running 15 horsepower and a dinghy with a 2 and 1/2 horsepower a generators solar panels and windmill. It literally has two brand new never used sails with receipts for $1,000 each I didn't get a survey. This is not my first sailboat. They're really not that complicated. As mentioned earlier, every boat is different. I have gleaned the information I need thank you everyone for your help. Since I started this I have replaced all three Seacock in this boat, as I have everything apart, exposed, and visible for just this occasion. I have never dealt with through hull below water line valves as it definitely breaks boating rule number one that I learned as a child - don't put a hole in the bottom of your boat
Old 12-10-2019, 09:08   #21

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Short story long. I bought my first sailboat at 22 without ever having been on a sailboat that was actually sailing. I read a bunch of books but hadn't tried what I learned yet. My older brother had taken to group sailing lessons the year before and said it was easy lets go. We motored out of the slip, raised all 4 sails and sailed out Ventura Harbor. We went onto a port tack in about 10 its of wind and sailed North. After about an hour I smelled something from the cabin. When I looked below there was about 8 or 10 inches of water over the sole. The smell was a gallon can of lacquer thinner with no cap floating around. I opened everything I could and found that the sink hose dangled free with no hose clamp on it and the 1 1/2 through hull, which was just a nipple sticking up shooting the Pacific in. I had my brother go on the other tack and it brought the hole right up to sea level and greatly slowed the inflow. I do not recall 45 years later how I plugged the hole as my memory was fogged by the fumes making me the most sea sick I have ever been. I bailed with a bucket and got the water to the floor and then laid on my side and pumped with the manual pump in the cockpit and puked until it sputtered. The poor 46 year old Gray Marine gas engine never ran again. We sailed into the slip wing on wing, which was my brothers dream. We never sailed together again, and I learned the following weekend to sail in a 12 foot styrofoam Snark in about 20 minutes or so in a reservoir and sailed in and out of that slip for a few more years until my wife, my first wife, started sleeping around our neighborhood and around the marina to piss me off, which it did, and I sold that boat, and got a divorce. I suspect that it is sea water and that is bad, in my experience.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:17   #22

That was worth reading thank you. It made me laugh I hope that's okay. I started in a 21 foot Jouet Golif (which I still have) I raised the Mainsail and read the book on sailing that was inside when I bought it while I sailed through Hell Gate in Pine Island Sound. I beached several times and learned much. I did not learn it was called Hellgate until I had made it through. It is just beyond the Killing Fields it was a good trial by fire. I think sailing is like playing chess. The rules are easy to understand and almost anyone can play at some level, but real Masters are few. I think I will always feel like a beginner
Old 12-10-2019, 09:19   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Check the owners manual for your boat. If you don't have one almost certainly you can find one on the internet. In the manual there will be a diagram that shows where all the thru hull fittings are and where all the tanks are located. It may or may not show where all the pumps are.
dadster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:26   #24

I also understand it's hard not to sound arrogant. I wish you had to have a license to buy a horse, They really are very dangerous. I did have enough boat experience to know that setting sail with no experience was risky, but the average depth of that water is 9 feet. I would not have set sail into the ocean that way, and may not even decide to take that trip at all had I known. I did sail into Charlotte Harbor under wind power with two sails all by myself on my first trip on any sailboat. I was proud of that part.
I really do want to thank everybody for their input it was helpful
Old 12-10-2019, 09:48   #25

Boat: 29 ft

Horses? Not going near them if I can avoid it, they are dangerous.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:04   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesti View Post
Horses? Not going near them if I can avoid it, they are dangerous.
I agree. Unpredictable, cantankerous, twisted sense of humor. They even laugh at you. Total A personalities.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:28   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Is the sink grey water going into a shower sump to be pumped overboard?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:53   #28

No it is just a through hull. I am past that now, but the shower pan is my next mystery. Where does that water go? Horses are also useless as crew on a boat
Old 12-10-2019, 12:12   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkusaj View Post
No it is just a through hull. I am past that now, but the shower pan is my next mystery. Where does that water go? Horses are also useless as crew on a boat
It would scar the hell out of me. It sounds like a through hull below the waterline that lets the water seek its own level? I hope not.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:26   #30

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It would scare the hell out of me. It sounds like a through hull below the waterline that lets the water seek its own level? I hope not.
This is a strange discussion. Does ANYONE own an inboard sailboat over 25' that has no through hull fittings? Is it a surprise to anyone that seawater enters through hull fittings when the seacock is open and that seawater seeks its own level inside of attached hoses and other plumbing?
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray water, holding tank, water