Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 09:31   #1

groco hf marine head

I just purchased a 91 Pearson 31 and upon de-winterizing discovered a leak in the cylinder wall. I can replace the cylinder but am not sure about the condition of the rest of the components. Before it cracked I had difficulty getting good suction anyway. I read Peggy's book about maintaining the system but unsure when to replace verus repair as there are a number of rebuild kits available for this model.
Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200530_104727.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	216291  
Jim Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: groco hf marine head

Hi Jim...I see you've just joined our merry little band...welcome aboard.

If you want to keep this toilet, you need to replace the pump housing (cylinder) and put a rebuild kit in the pump. Groco is (as we say in the south) "right proud" of their rebuild kits, so those two items may cost you almost as much or even as much as a "conversion" to the Raritan PH SuperFlush (current version of their tried and true PHII, which has consistently been the top rated manual toilet since Raritan introduced it in 1983) Raritan PH SuperFlush The "conversion" replaces everything BUT the bowl, seat and lid...and the mounting bolt pattern on the base should match those on your HF. Hopkins Carter Marine--formerly owned by longtime forum member HopCar--seems to be the only retailer who has it and their price is quite reasonable. Raritan PH Super Flush Conversion Kit #P103

You'll love the PH...it moves twice the bowl contents in half the pumping and will easily provide 25 years of reliable trouble-free service if you just keep it well lubricated, replace the joker valve annually and put a rebuild kit (about $60) in it every 5-6 years.

Btw...glad you're finding my book useful!

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 17:35   #3

Re: groco hf marine head

Thanks Peggy, first advice I received to lubricate seals was to dump vegetable oil into head.
This is a great forum to learn , appreciate your help.
Jim Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, marine, marine head