Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2021, 07:03   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
H38 - Dockside Water Supply Question

I just picked up a 2007 H38.

The manual says the dockside water supply is plumbed in after the shipboard water pump and pressurizes the fresh water system, and that the pump acts as a check valve. There is no mention of any valves that need to be opened or closed or any other action.

When I connect the dockside water supply only the shower on the transom works, no water anywhere else unless I turn on the fresh water pump. That leads me to believe the water exiting the faucets is coming from the tank not the dockside.

Additionally if I do not connect the dockside supply the shower on the transom does not work pump or no pump.

Its acting as though there is a valve somewhere in the water supply after the transom shower (which is teed in right to the dockside supply line).

Does anyone have any insight?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 07:28   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: H38 - Dockside Water Supply Question

I don't know the plumbing on the H38, but from your description it seems you are on the right track. It definitely sounds like there is a shutoff valve for the transom shower that is turned off and the dockside water connection plumbs in to the pressurized freshwater system downstream of that valve. I expect if you find the valve and turn it on you will be good to go, both with dockside water feeding your pressurized water system and with your transom shower working from your fresh water pump.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 08:06   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

The H38 has a manifold under the kitchen sink. Every line has a shut off valve on this manifold. I would start checking this first. Probably the PO blocked the dockside water intake over here. Attached is a recent picture I took when I was installing a new Water Heater when our 2005 WH developped a leak.

Looking at the picture I think the shore water inlet is the 3rd from the bottom on the right (blue) cold water side.
.Click image for larger version

Name:	779507CD-9EEB-41AB-A743-DAE68C3FC8E1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	237242
sailormed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 08:42   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Sounds like some PO decided to "improve upon" the original design or cut off the supply. It serves no purpose for us to guess - you need to trace all the plumbing to see how it is interconnected and what if any shut off valves have been installed.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:08   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

your boat - your plumbing. Welcome to the boat owners community. 85% repairng on the prettiest places and 15% sailing.

I would suggest you do not leave the dock until you know every bloody screw on your boat and are able to repair anything yourself. That is the way it should be.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:31   #6
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

The manual says the dockside water supply is plumbed in after the shipboard water pump and pressurizes the fresh water system, and that the pump acts as a check valve. There is no mention of any valves that need to be opened or closed or any other action.

When I connect the dockside water supply only the shower on the transom works, no water anywhere else unless I turn on the fresh water pump. That leads me to believe the water exiting the faucets is coming from the tank not the dockside.

Additionally if I do not connect the dockside supply the shower on the transom does not work pump or no pump.

Its acting as though there is a valve somewhere in the water supply after the transom shower (which is teed in right to the dockside supply line).

I can't help you with the H38 plumbing system.

I'm sure permanently connected dockside water is common with liveaboards for obvious reasons. However, imagine what can happen when a line breaks under pressure and nobody is aboard or just doesn't notice it.

While going over the marina maintenance records of the new-to-me boat I had purchased it gave the cause of the engine replacement, electrical rewiring, etc. as fresh water flooding. One of my first actions was to disconnect the system. I always load fresh water manually over the deck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:34   #7
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

I'm sure permanently connected dockside water is common with liveaboards for obvious reasons. However, imagine what can happen when a charged line breaks under pressure and nobody is aboard or just doesn't notice it.

While going over the marina maintenance records of the new-to-me boat I had purchased many years ago it gave the cause of the engine replacement, electrical rewiring, etc. as fresh water flooding. One of my first actions was to disconnect the system. I always load fresh water manually over the deck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post

I'm sure permanently connected dockside water is common with liveaboards for obvious reasons. However, imagine what can happen when a charged line breaks under pressure and nobody is aboard or just doesn't notice it.

While going over the marina maintenance records of the new-to-me boat I had purchased many years ago it gave the cause of the engine replacement, electrical rewiring, etc. as fresh water flooding. One of my first actions was to disconnect the system. I always load fresh water manually over the deck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Being cautious is never a bad idea. However, given the greater economic risk for damage to a home and particularly one with a basement full of stuff, it's ironic that these same folks don't shut off the home's supply water when they go out to lunch, work, the beach, ...

It's not hard to remember to shut off either when away if you want to... but worrying only about the boat seems hypocritical
Old 25-04-2021, 10:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I know this wasn't the original question but I strongly second the comments from MJH. Any break or loose hose connected to dockside water can quickly sink your boat. Safest system is to fill your tanks and use that as your water source.

The manifold mentioned by sailormed would certainly be the first place to check but also as suggested by SV Illusion, no telling what modifications might have been done by the previous owner so best option is to trace the hoses and valves to see what's what.

Moseriw has a good point about learning your boat but I might modify that to advise learning all critical systems like bilge pumps, electric including all electric cutoffs, engine and fuel system, anchoring system. You can learn all the rest of the bits over time.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 15:08   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I knew someone whose boat sank from the dockside water, too. I also would never leave that connected. Plus, if you always use water from your tank, you get a better idea of your usage in relation to your tank capacity.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 15:45   #11

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Difference between turning off water at house or boat...the house won't sink if there is a leak.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 16:30   #12

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post

I'm sure permanently connected dockside water is common with liveaboards for obvious reasons. However, imagine what can happen when a line breaks under pressure and nobody is aboard or just doesn't notice it.

While going over the marina maintenance records of the new-to-me boat I had purchased it gave the cause of the engine replacement, electrical rewiring, etc. as fresh water flooding. One of my first actions was to disconnect the system. I always load fresh water manually over the deck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
While docked at Titusville marina in Florida a few years ago a boat right across from me sank at the dock because the owner was away overnight and did not turn off the water to his boat. The worst thing was that he had just finished redoing all of the interior the day before. The poor guy was heartbroken as you can imagine.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 25-04-2021, 17:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomodore View Post
Difference between turning off water at house or boat...the house won't sink if there is a leak.
If we want to morp into stating the obvious, mold and destruction of the contents of someone's house is far more devastating than losing any boat tied to a dock. Yet the same people paranoid about having to remember to shut off a boat pressure water valve seem content leaving it on in their home when away.

Reminds me of the folks who prefer vanilla top sides but have a couple of black, red, green, .... cars.
Old 26-04-2021, 06:58   #14

Boat: Hunter 38

Fixed.

The "water inlet" on the manifold was "on" but the "transom shower" was "off".

Opening transom shower provided water to the whole boat.

I need to trace the lines to see if somehow the lines are switched or if its just an idiosyncrasy of the setup.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:57   #15

I'm in the camp of not having a pressurized water system connected to my boat. To me it's not worth the risk. But if you are going to do it, I'd recommend installing some sort of metered or timed exterior motorized valve such as this
https://www.cleanwaterstore.com/moto...-110-220v.html

They probably make some based on usage, which would perhaps better than a timer.
dblanken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, water