Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2021, 14:11   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Hate too dump my a/c with R 22 , anybody repair within Fl

I work on marine AC units.

Here’s your problem. You’ve got an old ac unit. Tech time is expensive, refrigerant is expensive (r-22). Parts for 22 systems are getting harder to find.

I could probably repair just about any leaking unit....problem is it’ll cost as much or more than a new unit to pay me to do it. And you’ve still got an old unit.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 14:34   #17

Boat: C&C

Nobody will pay you for your old R22. Can you be certain it's clean with no moisture or other contaminants in it? You say it's okay, great I'll give you $15/lb for it but running my reclaimer and cylinder charge is $150 plus labour. why, because if it's deemed not to be pure I'll have to pay disposal fees, then rinse all my components so their not contaminated and change oil in reclaimer if not oilless etc. etc. Actually think I'll raise my reclaimer fee to $200 now that I think about it. Change the thing out as most advise you and get on with your life!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 15:08   #18

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Nobody will pay you for your old R22. Can you be certain it's clean with no moisture or other contaminants in it? You say it's okay, great I'll give you $15/lb for it but running my reclaimer and cylinder charge is $150 plus labour. why, because if it's deemed not to be pure I'll have to pay disposal fees, then rinse all my components so their not contaminated and change oil in reclaimer if not oilless etc. etc. Actually think I'll raise my reclaimer fee to $200 now that I think about it. Change the thing out as most advise you and get on with your life!
Or someone puts a sealer in it and it seizes the reclaimer pump. Ask me how I know this.

One could just use R290 aka Propane. Better efficiency, no need for oil change, cheap. Never mind that pesky flammability issue....
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 18:55   #19

Boat: Dix 43 HD

Hi
I operate a commercial cold store. We have added 448a to refrigeration plant containing R22 and they are still operational after many months - I know not ideal but sometimes you have to do what you have to do when store is absolutely full of temp critical product.
It is important that units contain synthetic oil not mineral - some R22 units do some do not -should say somewhere on unit
and there is also refrigerant available that is noted as a drop in to units running r22

R134a may work -and it is a refrigerant available here in NZ in retail canisters that you can buy to recharge vehicles air conditioning - comes complete with a little gauge
and there should be enough experience here on forum to tell you how to undertake recharge process
its what I would do

Good Luck
Wayne

I would say if you can add a refrigerant cheaply enough then try - if it doesnt work you will have to replace the unit but if you dont try you have to replace anyway
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 02:21   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

If your evaporator is freezing up it's not an indication of low refrigerant but rather not enough air passing through the evaporator. Clean the filters.
Old 28-04-2021, 03:35   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
If your evaporator is freezing up it's not an indication of low refrigerant but rather not enough air passing through the evaporator. Clean the filters.

Low refrigerant also causes icing of the evap. The vapor pressure is below freezing, this leads to condensate freezing before it can run off.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 07:32   #22

Boat: C&C

"If your evaporator is freezing up it's not an indication of low refrigerant but rather not enough air passing through the evaporator. Clean the filters."

He even could have a partial short in fan motor causing it to run slower , thus freezing up.
But the OP is insistent that's it's low on gas as per last year so most are focusing on that .
Yes, the 3 main causes of an evaporations freezing up are: low refrig at a point, poor air flow or restricted air flow.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 08:18   #23

Boat: Cal 33-2

Some random thoughts:
1. R-22 is not illegal. Just no longer made and thus expensive.
2. Unless you are a licensed HVAC tech, you can't buy R-22.
3. Don't add 134a to an R-22 system. The pressure/temperature characteristics are completely different.
4. Since you do have pressure in the system, all you may have is a very slow leak. May be worth it to have a tech add a little R-22 to the system.
Old 28-04-2021, 08:43   #24

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
^^ THIS is the most important post in this thread. To anybody else reading this, if your evaporator coil is icing, look for insufficient air flow. Beyond cleaning or replacing the filter, you'll probably need to clean the evap coil itself. Gauges showing low suction pressure doesn't definitively mean that the root cause is a leak resulting in low charge. Insufficient airflow is much more common.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 20:01   #25
Marine Service Provider

Indeed, I would also look at the duct, its condition routing, and the cfm at the grill.
A unit properly installed and charged should not ice up on its own.
You might also look at the low fan speed limit settings and make sure they are correct.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 04:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Where in FL are you located?
Daytona
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 06:25   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B View Post
Daytona

Merritt Island FL.

merritt
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:11   #28

LITTLE FOLLOW UP - rather then starting new thread
Yesterday went too boat , Summer is starting here in FL was 88
Running unit an hour or so ice starting on evac coil
Closed - defrosted
Some indicated air circulation , For the hell of it I took a circulating fan , sitting it in front of evac coils ,
Running few hours , 73 , Cabin was cold , NO FREEZING , Thermostat shutting at 73 starting at 74 , Plenty of water pumping out ,
Drain hose dropping water ,
Still not convinced its still not a little low on R 22
Fan speed set # 6 all speeds seem too be working
As stated in earlier thread froze last year , Little R 22 worked all year until recently , Dumping a little R 22 will get me thru another year but for $ 1700 bucks can buy New from on line box store , DROP IN & use , set too replace Marine AIRRRR , same size , 10,000 btu , 30 amp , 2 year warranty
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote