Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 09:40   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Head issues..

OK. I'm determined to get to the bottom of this.. especially since I'll be needing this a lot next year. I have an old Pearson 28 (1975) and I need to determine if I need to rebuild the head. I don't know if it is the original for the boat. It is a Wilcox Crittenden 37001. When I pump it to put water in the bowl it pumps a very small amount down the side and it actually sounds like it's pumping air with the water. When I push the lever to empty the bowl it does empty the little water that is in it. When I first got the boat a few months ago the holding tank was full even thought the owner said he never used it. It backed up into the bowl. I pumped that water out with no trouble. Pumped out the tank. Now I face my current issue. I really doesn't seem to pump a lot of water in the bow. Nothing collects in the bottom. Does this sound like I need to rebuild the entire head or is there just a few gaskets that could be shot.

You guys have helped me before I'm hoping you'll be able to help again.

TNX
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 10:09   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Head issues..

I had a similar question when I purchased my boat, which was built in 1983. The answer was to replace the head. Yours is likely original and finding parts/seals will be nearly impossible. Heads aren't meant to last as long as the hull. Forty years is a dang good run.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 10:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Head issues..

Everything has a lifespan...it's time for a new toilet. The model name for the 37001 is HeadMate. Wilcox Crittenden went out of business (actually, Thetford bought the company and then closed it) several years ago. Rebuild kits are still be available from Thetford and a few retailers (including Defender), but the hardware has to be so worn by now that rebuilding it won't help it much. It'll never perform anywhere near factory specs again...and if a hardware part breaks, you won't be able to get a replacement. Rebuild kit prices are $70-$95...about the same price as a Jabsco manual toilet pump and base...not very durable, but should give you a couple of trouble-free years. Or, if your budget can stand it, you can replace it with a top of the line manual toilet that will give you 20 trouble free years--the Raritan PH SuperFlush which Defender, which is right in your neighborhood, has for under $300. Defender PH SuperFlush Toilet
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head