Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 13:16   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Head pump sticks

The pump handle on my manual pump sticks a lot. Just put in the water after all winter on the hard. Can I use lock carbon on it or maybe WD40? Is there a special lube for it?
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 14:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Head pump sticks

The pump just needs lubrication, but NOT lock carbon or WD-40. There are two ways to lube a toilet: 1.Flush a tablespoon of veggie oil down it every couple of weeks...or 2. Replace the thick teflon or silicon grease that was in it when left the factory--a 10 minute job that only needs to be done once a season in your neck of the woods.

Go to Ace Hardware or Home Depot and buy a tube of SuperLube thick grease (SuperLube has full line of liquid and spray lubes...you ONLY want the stuff in the tube). Remove the screws that hold the pump onto the base and lift the pump enough to stick the tube nozzle up into it. Give it a healthy squirt--about a tablespoon...Replace the pump, pump the toilet a few times to spread the grease all over the inside of the pump, and you're done.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 04:55   #3

Boat: Pearson 28

Thanks very much. On my way to pick it up now.
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 06:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Glad to help. I suggest you also check out the link in my signature (click on the title). The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, pump