Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 14:47   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Heads suck

Let's not bash Jabsco over this one. It could happen to any toilet with a joker valve. In fact I think Jabsco's heart valve design is better than the closed lips design others use including that most holy of all marine toilets, the Skipper.
Old 18-01-2013, 16:03   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Let's not bash Jabsco over this one. It could happen to any toilet with a joker valve. In fact I think Jabsco's heart valve design is better than the closed lips design others use including that most holy of all marine toilets, the Skipper.
Good point. I've done side-by-side testing and I can tell you this (PS article in a few months).
  • If you don't like the Jabsco joker valve, switch to Raritan or Groco. They are dimensionally interchangeable.
  • All valves build up at the same rate. I've tested them side-by-side.
  • Flushing with enough water to clear the hoses will stop this dead; the reaction is not instant and tap or salt water won't do it alone. FLUSH MORE!
  • The Jabsco valve flushes with less effort and opens wider for fewer clogs. Fact. It is also made of softer material. This is a good thing, since Jabsco flushes with less force.
  • You can screw all of the them up by adding the wrong chemicals.
  • Acid is only needed if you don't follow instruction #3. I have NEVER needed acid.
Old 18-01-2013, 16:37   #33

Boat: PETERSON 44
Generally the traditional head doesn't suck. Looking at less tradiitNal designs could have value. If computer trains are able to handle the abuse of joe public there must be heads that can handle us refined boat ice types.
Compost, lavac or sealand vaculflush are some ideas. I am a fan of sealand and vaculflush. I have not used compost toilets. But for heavy use compared to traditional head maybe look maybe look for something that can swallow a cork.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 21:25   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"Flushing with enough water to clear the hoses will stop this dead"
I agree, short flushing causes a lot of problems including blocked hoses. You have to flush enough water to push the "Stuff" clear of the hose and into the tank or overboard. I think this is why you see more problems with systems that use long discharge hoses. If uric acid crystals are forming on the joker valve, you're just not flushing enough. Uric acid crystals, your toilet has gout! Stop eating all that rich food.
Old 18-01-2013, 21:46   #35

Boat: Jarkan 10.5
Seems strange that you are getting crystalline build up while flushing with fresh water, my thoughts are your anti-syphon is to low especially while keeled over, saltwater mixing with urine expedites the process of crystalline formations. I flush with saltwater and must clean fully all jabsco parts every 6 months for working order. Curious to know if there is build up in the plunger housing and pocelin sections.
bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 23:33   #36

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Guys ........my boat has never been put to sea, I live on the yard.
I have a 50 gallon holding tank and dont wish to fill it every week nor do I wish to burn out the motor by running it for extra time whilst flushing the whole line with fresh water each time I use the loo.

I will get a can of white vinegar and see what happens. Thanks for all your advice
Old 18-01-2013, 23:37   #37

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

BTW.

ive recently had a medical

My cholesterol is 2.4
blood pressure is on low side of average
my body mass index is 25

im in excellent shape for a woman my age. my diet is simple and nutritious and doesnt involve processed foods, chemicals, etc etc.
Old 19-01-2013, 04:55   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
my diet is simple and nutritious and doesnt involve processed foods, chemicals, etc etc.
well there's the problem, your head isn't getting the chemicals it craves
Old 19-01-2013, 05:30   #39
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

This thread is pointless, even more so that we realize she's not even floating yet. You dont want to fill your tank, you dont wanna flush properly. Not alot of options hear. If this head issue bothers you, Don't go to sea. Or Fixit maybe.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 06:00   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
This thread is pointless, even more so that we realize she's not even floating yet. You dont want to fill your tank, you dont wanna flush properly. Not alot of options hear. If this head issue bothers you, Don't go to sea. Or Fixit maybe.
At least not in the last 37 months!
Old 19-01-2013, 06:29   #41
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
There is not toilet that won't get nasty with crystals and fail if you don't clear the urine, not even a home toilet. Saltwater is not required, just time. Sorry. It can also shorten the life of the internal parts; though PVC can stand it, the rubber parts cannot.
Old 19-01-2013, 06:31   #42
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
There is not toilet that won't get nasty with crystals and fail if you don't clear the urine, not even a home toilet. Saltwater is not required, just time. Sorry. It can also shorten the life of the internal parts; though PVC can stand it, the rubber parts cannot.
What about the composting tolets? Im looking at changin mine out for these- ive heard mostly good news about them
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 07:07   #43

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Get a Vacu Flush, they REALLY suck! Never flush one while sitting on it without opening your mouth!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 07:12   #44
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Get a Vacu Flush, they REALLY suck! Never flush one while sitting on it without opening your mouth!
Advocates of colonic irrigation claim that it aids slimming, helps detoxify the body and banishes bloating
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 07:14   #45

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Heads suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Its been 37 months Ram, and anything would hit the spot. You realy DONT know how lonely life is when a bottle of wine hits the spot and the cork isnt big enough.
Maybe you should hide the firearms when a potential suitor stops by. (And don't talk about toilets either.)

Or put your whole operation on a freighter and come to the US. Good-looking gal with her own boat, lotsa guns and ammo, AND low cholesterol! Damn! You'd have to beat the men off with a stick. Or something.

The answer: compost.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote