Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2017, 05:55   #1

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Heat/Exhaust

I recently had to have my refer worked on and in the process it was noted that at 9am the temp in the cockpit locker, where the unit was located, was approaching 100 deg. Now my question is how can i ventilate or reduce that heat level without creating a way for rain or water from entering the locker.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 06:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Heat/Exhaust

Deck Vents & Dorade Boxes ➥ https://www.plastimo.com/en/deck-equ...ade-boxes.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 06:48   #3

Is it feasible to fit a water proof type solar exhaust vent?
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 07:51   #4

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I don't know if i can fit something like that....keep in mind its in the cockpit and everything there now is designed if u take on water there is no way it can enter any part of the boat. Yes i have though about the solar vents.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 21:54   #5

Hank, With out a picture or diagram it's hard to comment much further, but presumably there must be access in the locker from the vessels interior to run wires/pipes etc, Would it be feasible to cut two holes into the bottom/side or back of the locker to accept vent hoses (2-3") similar to engine room venting, the inlet could come from the engine room or other internal space, the out let (higher) could vent into the engine room or better still out the engine room vent to outside, The whole thing could be fan operated (low power fan) hooked up to the on off switch for the unit, so only operates while unit is on, it wouldn't take much to move the hot air out being replaced with ambient air temp, ref unit would probably work better as well!!- as said with out a diagram a bit hard to visualize but this idea may get the old brain cells fired up

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 07:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I leave the hatch open on my Lazarette when not sailing for this reason, I have not measured temps, but figure it must elevate a little. I assume your locker is kind of small?
If I ventilate it, I'd try for a thermal syphon kind of thing, you know inlet mounted low, exit mounted high, hot air rises.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust