Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 09:41   #31

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Heating options

Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I understand there are many threads in heating and I have read through them. The new thing here is that I am trying to optimize for relative simplicity and quietness. On a small boat like mine even minor noises go through the compartments easily.

Insulation is not worth it in Socal. I have a solid hull but an internal liner throughout, including the deck which is insulated enough.

For quiteness, the Dickinson seems to be the best bet, the downside is that it is impossible to regulate the temp with a thermostat. Is it practical to remove the Dickinson for the summer and reinstall it every fall? Also, is it true that the diesel ones are difficult to start?

The forced air is noisier (I will check to find the least noisy one) but has the advantage of a thermostat, even one that can be remotely controlled (how cool is it to start the heat from your phone on the way to the marina).

I am moving away from hydronic because I realize the water circulation pumps could be quite noisy.

OK, now I need to get my head around drilling a 3" hole in my deck. If I change my mind later, is it possible to fill/repair the hole?
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 09:42   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
while I have a Webasto myself, I've read (in the german segeln-forum) of many people who are using Planar heaters and are very content with them.
I have Espar (Eberspacher), and while it works great when it works, it is very far from trouble-free. Like several BMWs I owned . From what I have heard Planar is a very good piece of kit, very reliable, possibly more reliable than Webasto and Espar. That's just hearsay, so take it for what it's worth, but I would certainly give Planar a try, if I were in the market for a forced air heater.

In the OP's boat, though, I would go with a pot heater, not a forced air one. Much simpler and totally owner-serviceable, zero electrical consumption -- nothing to go wrong. On the minus side, the heat won't be distributed as well, but on a 31' boat, I doubt if that's a big issue.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 09:48   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I understand there are many threads in heating and I have read through them. The new thing here is that I am trying to optimize for relative simplicity and quietness. On a small boat like mine even minor noises go through the compartments easily.

Insulation is not worth it in Socal. I have a solid hull but an internal liner throughout, including the deck which is insulated enough.

For quiteness, the Dickinson seems to be the best bet, the downside is that it is impossible to regulate the temp with a thermostat. Is it practical to remove the Dickinson for the summer and reinstall it every fall? Also, is it true that the diesel ones are difficult to start?

The forced air is noisier (I will check to find the least noisy one) but has the advantage of a thermostat, even one that can be remotely controlled (how cool is it to start the heat from your phone on the way to the marina).

I am moving away from hydronic because I realize the water circulation pumps could be quite noisy.

OK, now I need to get my head around drilling a 3" hole in my deck. If I change my mind later, is it possible to fill/repair the hole?
My comments to this:

1. Yes, starting a pot heater is a bit of a production. Yes, you have to chop a hole in the deck. No, I don't think the lack of a thermostat is a big deal. I don't have a thermostat on my very complex hydronic installation BTW. You do not want to remove and reinstall every season. The chimney hole can be repaired fairly easily in GRP if you remove it permanently, though.

2. The forced air heaters are not actually very noisy. Kind of a comforting hum. I don't think this is a big drawback. They are easy to install and don't require a chimney through the deck. Downside is they need electrical power (run your batts down overnight), and they need professional service every once in a while -- they are not really owner serviceable. But people who have them, all like them, as far as I know.

3. Hydronic is quietest of all IF you use radiators instead of fan coils. The pumps are almost silent. This is the Rolls Royce solution, and will heat your domestic water to boot. But hydronic is rather complicated to install and expensive. Probably overkill on a 31' boat. If you have fan coils instead of radiators -- and I have fan coils on my boat -- hydronic is just as noisy as a forced air heater, or maybe more so. But distributes the heat better because it only needs a little water pipe instead of a big air duct.

You pays your money, and makes your choice.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 11:38   #34

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I don't know costs for sure, but... I can tell you the heat pumps we have in our house also have resistance heating heat capabilities -- labeled as "emergency heating" -- and only intended for occasional use... because of the cost.

Marine reverse cycle systems are similar, but drawing heat from water instead of outside air.
Just to be clear, most marine air conditioners with reverse cycle do NOT have a resistance heating element. You can get them, but that would be an option.

If the goal is heat away from shore power, adding a marine air conditioner is probably not the best answer anyway.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
To the OP. I have read a lot of bad stuff about the planar heaters.
I've had a Planar for a few years now, and I have yet to run into any first-hand "bad stuff."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The forced air heaters are not actually very noisy. Kind of a comforting hum. I don't think this is a big drawback. They are easy to install and don't require a chimney through the deck. Downside is they need electrical power (run your batts down overnight), and they need professional service every once in a while -- they are not really owner serviceable. But people who have them, all like them, as far as I know
In the OPs climate (50-60F) it won't take much to take the chill off. Even the electricity usage will be minimal. Parts availability may be an issue, but failure of the unit is not a disaster; just throw on a comforter.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 13:48   #35
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thanks, very informative!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 13:52   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Nobody seems to have mentioned insulating the hull and deck. Doesn't take much to have a significant effect.

Insulation is the low hanging fruit here. Start with that then see what you need for heat.
For those in climates where the air is bitterly freezing, but the water temps well above, hull insulation would be counter-productive, perhaps lead to active winterization being necessary where not with a bare hull.
Old 25-09-2017, 13:57   #37
cruiser

OK withdrawing my completely unfounded disparaging of the Planar brand.

Based purely on American/Scandinavian prejudice against Russia.

My apologies.

Can we let the Chinese knock-off comment stand 8-)
Old 25-09-2017, 14:04   #38
cruiser

I know, many fear propane on a boat, but since they are very efficient, not expensive installed and **100% silent**, no fans but radiant panel only:

Wave platinum catalytic heaters.

Just keep them covered not in use, the catalytic pad deteriorates if it gets dusty.

Also "Platinum Cat" brand, less frequently mentioned.
Old 25-09-2017, 14:04   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
OK withdrawing my completely unfounded disparaging of the Planar brand.
M-)

Why is that? What makes you think it is unfounded?
Old 25-09-2017, 14:07   #40
cruiser

I myself don't have direct experience, and such limited exposure to forum reviews that the several positive statements here are now the overwhelming majority of my knowledge of the brand.

Not saying good or bad, but now less inclined to be so skeptical of the possibility they are of good quality.
Old 25-09-2017, 14:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
most yachts in the uk use wood burners which are cheap to run
Great idea but take up a lot of space , I would think too much for most normal sized yachts , ( had one in our 40' fero endurance , ). I am considering a diesel fed Taylor
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 14:12   #42

There is no denying plenty of people have had good experiences of the brand but compared to the other two there is a significantly higher number of people reporting problems with Planar.
Old 25-09-2017, 18:28   #43
cruiser

Then let them chime in, just saying I'm withdrawing my own 2˘ since it's not worth even that given the positive reports.
Old 25-09-2017, 18:41   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Then let them chime in, just saying I'm withdrawing my own 2˘ since it's not worth even that given the positive reports.
:^)

Point very well made.
Old 25-09-2017, 18:44   #45

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Try using sweaters and quilts. Spending many thousands of $$ for a permanent heater doesn't sound like a wise investment for southern (or even central) California. A safely-designed portable propane heater (with ventilation) could be an option.

Tags
heating