Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 07:41   #61

Re: Heating options

Have to agree with those who say that the best solution is to get a sweater and a down comforter.

On the other hand, if you MUST have a heater, the simplest approach would be a solid fuel stove. No fans, no fuel lines, no ducting, nothing but a vent. Here is one that is the same size as any other bulkhead-mounted propane or diesel heater: Marine Solid Fuel Heaters

Toss in a couple of charcoal briquets, or some driftwood, and you'll have plenty of nice, dry heat for taking the chill off on those cool evenings.

Good luck!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 07:48   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Have to agree with those who say that the best solution is to get a sweater and a down comforter.

On the other hand, if you MUST have a heater, the simplest approach would be a solid fuel stove. No fans, no fuel lines, no ducting, nothing but a vent. Here is one that is the same size as any other bulkhead-mounted propane or diesel heater: Marine Solid Fuel Heaters

Toss in a couple of charcoal briquets, or some driftwood, and you'll have plenty of nice, dry heat for taking the chill off on those cool evenings.

Good luck!
It is nice however the diesel fired version is just as easy to light and a lot easier to shut down . also lots easier and cleaner to store the fuel for the diesel unit as well, and no tending to the fire like a solid fuel unit. ( not that different in price either)
Old 26-09-2017, 07:57   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
It is nice however the diesel fired version is just as easy to light and a lot easier to shut down.
True, but you still have to tap into your fuel system, and run fuel lines. My point was that the solid fuel version is the SIMPLE approach. In my world, simple is good. YMMV.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 08:33   #64

Boat: Catalina 320

Coldest I've encountered here is 42 degrees F. in March usually just uncover long enough to light the burner under the kettle for coffee and by the time you drink a couple cups you are warm enough to get dressed.
However for the 60 to 90 days a year it may get cold enough to be uncomfortable I carry a couple of Buddy portable propane heaters for short term use.
Buddy Series - Heaters - Product
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 08:51   #65

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
One of the great things about a 31 ft yacht is everything on board is simple. An engine and a couple of batteries. Two sails, an anchor and off you go. Any heating solution should also be simple. *pm on a cold winters night is not the time to be fault finding stuff.

Pete
Please, do not call Pizzazz simple because she may feel offended (I do not care) [emoji22]. She is well equipped for her size with two watermakers, solar, inverter, microwave, full suite of Raymarine electronics around the E80 level, including radar, gyro and rudder, two autopilots, four cameras enabling steering from the saloon, SSB, spare sails, two anchors, marine fridge, water heater and a dedicated shower sump pump. Plus a washing machine .

"My owner's view of a generator is that it does not make sense for my size (my main engine is 13 hp). A generator would be too heavy for me and not necessarily less noisy."

Anyway, one of my goals in outfitting SV Pizzazz has been to keep all equipment invisible, i.e. the electronics is behind a tinted glass panel, most of the support equipment is in the cockpit locker, the solar panels are on the dodger, out of view. I just like the factory look. This would suggest a forced air heater but the ambience of the Dickinson...
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:04   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
. . . However for the 60 to 90 days a year it may get cold enough to be uncomfortable I carry a couple of Buddy portable propane heaters for short term use.
Buddy Series - Heaters - Product
Hope you don't use those inside a boat!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:15   #67
cruiser

I spent two winters aboard our Hunter 450 in southern California away from marinas and without a genset. Since the weather was so mild, I got by on three paraffin lamps which also provided some light. It wasn't toasty warm, but I wasn't cold. I think the lowest it got was 60 degrees F. The water temp was somewhere in the 60's, so that was basically the inside boat temp at night, then it warmed up into the 70's during the day.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:39   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
installed recently on my cat
Nice , what brand is that , I always thot that a Taylor was the one of choice here ?
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 11:02   #69

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Not saying good or bad, but now less inclined to be so skeptical of the possibility they are of good quality.
My theory in going with the Planar was that nobody knows cold better than Russians! Theses units are very common in Russia and northern Europe, used by truckers as "parking heaters." That's a pretty good endorsement.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 11:32   #70

Boat: Riva 48

While pondering my heating options today, I did two experiments.

First, I run my fresh water tank through the water heater (it is very simple just feed the cockpit shower into the water tank intake, open the hot water tap). I run the engine to heat the water for 20 min. At idle, I got about 10F temp increase for about 20 gallons of water (half full). At fast idle the temp increase seemed much faster. Not sure if this is practical for heating but at least now I have a way of having a lot more hot water than what I get from my 6 gallon water. I can imagine that if I am motoring a lot (or on shore power), I could raise the fresh water tank to, say 120F, which will give much longer showers for the kids. As a heating option, I will check overnight and report.

Second, my alcohol stove is right below a fairly large port window. I run one of the Origo heaters for about an hour, with the port opened. Got a nice temp increase and the CO alarm that is right beside the stove never went above 30 ppm (boat totally closed). Curious if this can be used in lieu of a bulkhead heater. I could even come up with a stainless steel aspirator type attachment through the port window, replacing the plastic window with something more heat resistant. I know it is not a long-term solution but it is the easiest way to go for my occasional trips. To be used only in the evenings, not while sleeping. What do you think? I do not see the difference between this device and say, a solid fuel heater that is not fully isolated with intake/exhaust tubing.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 11:48   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
While pondering my heating options today, I did two experiments.

First, I run my fresh water tank through the water heater (it is very simple just feed the cockpit shower into the water tank intake, open the hot water tap). I run the engine to heat the water for 20 min. At idle, I got about 10F temp increase for about 20 gallons of water (half full). At fast idle the temp increase seemed much faster. Not sure if this is practical for heating but at least now I have a way of having a lot more hot water than what I get from my 6 gallon water. I can imagine that if I am motoring a lot (or on shore power), I could raise the fresh water tank to, say 120F, which will give much longer showers for the kids. As a heating option, I will check overnight and report.

Second, my alcohol stove is right below a fairly large port window. I run one of the Origo heaters for about an hour, with the port opened. Got a nice temp increase and the CO alarm that is right beside the stove never went above 30 ppm (boat totally closed). Curious if this can be used in lieu of a bulkhead heater. I could even come up with a stainless steel aspirator type attachment through the port window, replacing the plastic window with something more heat resistant. I know it is not a long-term solution but it is the easiest way to go for my occasional trips. To be used only in the evenings, not while sleeping. What do you think? I do not see the difference between this device and say, a solid fuel heater that is not fully isolated with intake/exhaust tubing.
Heating with alcohol stove is not a problem just need a bit of ventilation otherwise the origo heat pal would be illegal to sell in the USA.

Origo Heat Pal 5100 Heater
Old 26-09-2017, 12:33   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
It is nice however the diesel fired version is just as easy to light and a lot easier to shut down . also lots easier and cleaner to store the fuel for the diesel unit as well, and no tending to the fire like a solid fuel unit. ( not that different in price either)
I had a bulkhead mounted solid fuel heater when I lived aboard in MA.

It was a real PITA to clean out the firebox. Soot and ash got everywhere. Also it didn't hold enough to burn all that long.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:41   #73

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

A bus heater in the coolant circuit of your engine will heat the cabin well with free heat while you motor to the anchorage. It works ok for about 30min from when you shut down the engine.... just enough time to trap the heat inside and reduce humidity. Doesn't warm you over night, but that is what blankets are for.

Matt
Old 26-09-2017, 13:30   #74

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For those with hydronic heating, what do you need to do/pay attention to in terms of the water that you use so as to prevent scaling in the plumbing, & heating elements? Since in most boilers I've been around this is fairly critical. And I'd think that it would be even more so on sailboat sized units with small diameter lines.
Also, do you insulate your heating water lines? And how do you run them so as to prevent them from being accidentally dinged?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 13:57   #75
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
A bus heater in the coolant circuit of your engine
by "bus" do you mean as in school bus, or something else?

For those who stay in one cold spot without wanting to run the engine

Webasto and Espar maybe the Russian one too, make active diesel-burning heaters that work that way with hydronic exchangers (calorifiers), radiators etc to move heat around longer distances.

Some are designed to integrate with the engine cooling system, but to heat up the block to assist starting in very cold weather.

Also lets you use any existing integral heating systems, vents and fans etc designed to work when the engine is running, presumably as is meant by "bus heater" above
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating