Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 11:32   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Heating options

Here is an excerpt from the 2014 practical sailor article you linked to

While the dangers associated with storing and using liquid petroleum gas on board are real, the risks of accident can be minimized by maintaining your system to current standards and following basic safety practices. According to initial reports, had the victim's boat been equipped with some of the items that we’ll be testing, or had the owner followed basic safety practices in handling and using LPG, a tragedy could have been prevented.

This part really sticks out to me
had the owner followed basic safety practices in handling and using LPG, a tragedy could have been prevented.
Old 30-09-2017, 11:39   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The other way portable gas heaters can kill you, is by carbon monoxide. Here's a list of the scores of deaths from carbon monoxide in the UK since 1995. Notice how many of them -- dozens of deaths -- are caused by portable propane heaters, either on boats or in campers or other vehicles:

Deaths | CO-Gas Safety

Every year in the UK someone is killed by gas on a boat, either explosion or suffocation, and sometimes many people, and portable gas appliances are disproportionately represented among the causes. Many years it's the leading cause of death among boaters.
Dh you should look at your linked death list many of them are attributed to natural gas , solid fuels and diesel fueled generators. Only a small property are actually caused by LPG. I'm sure all of which could have been prevented with proper adherence to safety protocol and procedures.
Old 30-09-2017, 11:49   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Kinda funny to me that you post several different links to stories about one event . ( is that to make things appear worse than they actually are) .

To clarify all of your links are to three different events . over several years time.
Five different events, chosen at random. Just a very small sample. You questioned that gas ever causes problems on boats. Not whether it happens often.

You could do your own googling, but here are few incidents just from the last year:
Man injured as gas explosion blows roof off boat
Man injured as gas explosion blows roof off boat | UTV - ITV News
Click image for larger version

Name:	stream_img.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	156949

Two people taken to hospital after gas explosion on boat by Bristol Harbourside
Two people taken to hospital after gas explosion on boat by Bristol Harbourside - Bristol Post

Name:	Boat-explosion-1jpeg.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	156950

Huge fire and gas explosion on Deptford arts boat
UPDATE: Huge fire and gas explosion on Deptford arts boat | News Shopper

Name:	SAM_1286.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	156951

Man in Hospital After his Boat Is Blown Open Like A Tin Can
Man in hospital after his boat is ‘blown open like a tin can’ | Impartial Reporter

Name:	118531963.jpg.gallery.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	156952

Eight Hospitalised Santa Pola Boat Explosion
The explosion happened at about 5.30 pm on Sunday afternoon. According to official sources, it seems to be an accumulation of flammable gas that exploded when the engine was first started.
EIGHT HOSPITALISED AFTER SANTA POLA BOAT EXPLOSION - The Leader Newspaper

All of these occurred just in the last few months, and all but the last were in the UK. Just a superficial few minutes of googling.

Propane, either from explosions or asphyxiation, is one of the leading causes of death and mayhem to boaters. If you use it at all on board, use it with great care! And carefully follow the regulations. Under no circumstances use camp stoves or portable propane heaters on a boat!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 12:17   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dh you should look at your linked death list many of them are attributed to natural gas , solid fuels and diesel fueled generators. Only a small property are actually caused by LPG. I'm sure all of which could have been prevented with proper adherence to safety protocol and procedures.
109 people (!) killed by asphyxiation from LPG (propane or butane) since 1995, just in the UK. Of those, 36 on boats or camper vans. "Small property"? Hmmm.

57 people (!), or more than half of those, were killed by asphyxiation from LPG room heaters (not all in boats). These things are incredibly dangerous.

But you are right that "proper adherence to safety protocol and procedures" would have saved most of these killed folks.

"Safety protocol and procedure" says this about portable gas heaters on boats: "Don't Use Them!"
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 30-09-2017, 13:35   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is an excerpt from the 2014 practical sailor article you linked to

While the dangers associated with storing and using liquid petroleum gas on board are real, the risks of accident can be minimized by maintaining your system to current standards and following basic safety practices. According to initial reports, had the victim's boat been equipped with some of the items that we’ll be testing, or had the owner followed basic safety practices in handling and using LPG, a tragedy could have been prevented.

This part really sticks out to me
had the owner followed basic safety practices in handling and using LPG, a tragedy could have been prevented.
I agree!

And I agree that the vast majority of accidents are caused by LPG not being handled according to correct procedure.

Propane is reasonably safe if it's handled carefully. ABYC standards are an excellent guide.

The Lord Trenchard accident, however (I linked to it above) shows that even with quite rigorous safety procedures (the Royal Navy guys even pumped air out the bilge every morning), there is no 100% guaranty of safety.
Walt Whitman
Old 30-09-2017, 13:55   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Five different events, chosen at random. Just a very small sample. You questioned that gas ever causes problems on boats. Not whether it happens often.

You could do your own googling, but here are few incidents just from the last year:
Man injured as gas explosion blows roof off boat
Man injured as gas explosion blows roof off boat | UTV - ITV News
Attachment 156949

Two people taken to hospital after gas explosion on boat by Bristol Harbourside
Two people taken to hospital after gas explosion on boat by Bristol Harbourside - Bristol Post
Attachment 156950

Huge fire and gas explosion on Deptford arts boat
UPDATE: Huge fire and gas explosion on Deptford arts boat | News Shopper
Attachment 156951

Man in Hospital After his Boat Is Blown Open Like A Tin Can
Man in hospital after his boat is ‘blown open like a tin can’ | Impartial Reporter
Attachment 156952

Eight Hospitalised Santa Pola Boat Explosion
The explosion happened at about 5.30 pm on Sunday afternoon. According to official sources, it seems to be an accumulation of flammable gas that exploded when the engine was first started.
EIGHT HOSPITALISED AFTER SANTA POLA BOAT EXPLOSION - The Leader Newspaper

All of these occurred just in the last few months, and all but the last were in the UK. Just a superficial few minutes of googling.

Propane, either from explosions or asphyxiation, is one of the leading causes of death and mayhem to boaters. If you use it at all on board, use it with great care! And carefully follow the regulations. Under no circumstances use camp stoves or portable propane heaters on a boat!
Not that many issues in the USA

I'm just curious about all those people killed by not using propane safely in the UK . is it a symptom of a much larger systematic issue ?

Now the one in Spain doesn't say what caused the fire in fact the last sentence says volumes about the link.
The Judicial Police of the Civil Guard of Santa Pola has taken over the investigation to determine the exact causes of the explosion.
In other words they don't know what happens.
Old 30-09-2017, 13:59   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not that many issues in the USA . ..
Are you sure?

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	124
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	156954

Quote:
Now the one in Spain doesn't say what caused the fire . . .
"According to official sources, it seems to be an accumulation of flammable gas that exploded when the engine was first started."
Walt Whitman
Old 30-09-2017, 14:09   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you sure?

"According to official sources, it seems to be an accumulation of flammable gas that exploded when the engine was first started."
Have you ever seen what happens with a gasoline leak when it blows on a boat. ( people not operating the bilge blower like they should). That's what causes many of the boat related explosions here .
Old 30-09-2017, 14:39   #129

Boat: Tayana 47

OK Newhaul, you've persuaded me so I now agree that you should probably have your unvented propane heater in your boat. But, if you happen to have any room on the list of beneficiaries in your will is there any chance you could add just one more?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:44   #130

Boat: Able 50

I suggest not getting a Dickinson, not because they are no good but because they are too powerful for CA winter weather.

Try going with flannelette sheets and a good quality synthetic fiber comforter. Synthetic because they can handle getting wet better than down.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:56   #131
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
OK Newhaul, you've persuaded me so I now agree that you should probably have your unvented propane heater in your boat. But, if you happen to have any room on the list of beneficiaries in your will is there any chance you could add just one more?
No will , no beneficiary's, no money.

In 2009 I was living in the hook on my islander 24. I was cooking and heating ( when needed and not while I slept). With a gasoline fueled Coleman camp stove.
( yes I said gasoline)

More than once I woke up with ice on the inside of my portlights. Lol and goose down . cabin was warm by the time the coffee was done.
Old 30-09-2017, 15:46   #132

Boat: Catalina 387

The biggest reason heat in socal is nice isn't the heat, it's to dry the boat out. Sure, it may be quite dry on land, but the condensation in the boat is a major PITA. My last trip to Catalina, the boat was dripping wet inside when we got there. Motor running for mooring took care of most of it.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:48   #133

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9111 View Post
Where did you buy a 12 volt electric blanket for $35 ????
Found it at a truck stop.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating