Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2009, 13:03   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I looked at the instructions, which also say that "It is placed between the in-line electric pump and the water supply." Talk about mixed messages!? But it doesn't seem like the pressure from your supply pump would be the problem, rather either a leaking gland washer and/or the cheesy plastic threads.

I had a similar leaking intake port on my Whale transom shower. When I took it apart I was quite underwhelmed with the cheapo quality of the thing. Being off in the middle of nowhere at the time, I didn't have access to a replacement and did the same as you -- a dose of 4200. I kept it off-line for a day to give the stuff a chance to get well cured and it did the trick.

So, good luck with it, but you might also want to check those washers. They sell service kits for them.

ID
Thanks.
Washers all OK to visual as is the inside surface they run on.
leak is where the two halves are glued together and the threads are. Seems they sort of "dip in" at the glue joint which is where I think the water is leaking from.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 13:06   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
What you need to do is plumb your foot pump to the inlet side of your electric pump that way there isn't any pressure against your foot pump. you haven't said how far away the electric pump is from the foot pump but it would be well worth it to run another line to a T-fitting or right to the tank, which ever is closer or convenient.

That's how mine is set up.
Yep.
Aft through the starboard hull.
Over the other side to the Port hull.

I really don't want to but may have to do something like that.
Old 13-12-2009, 13:10   #18

And take a look at the little picture on this page.

http://www.whalepumps.com/documents/Tiptoe_inst.pdf

The one that shows the booster pump throws me loopy, as the line (hose) shown goes from the inlet on the pump to the pump to the sink. LOL.

This could drain the sink OK but that is about it.
Old 13-12-2009, 13:42   #19

If another line went to the foot pump then the pressure line would have go to the sink above that (another T) and would then pressurize the foot pump from above.

Hmm.
Old 13-12-2009, 14:36   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
If another line went to the foot pump then the pressure line would have go to the sink above that (another T) and would then pressurize the foot pump from above.

Hmm.
That's where you would put in a check valve, between the toe pump and the faucet. The smaller ones are harder to find but they are out there.

Specialty Manufacturing Brass Check Valves & Stainless Steel Check Valves

Old 13-12-2009, 15:38   #21

Quote:
That's where you would put in a check valve, between the toe pump and the faucet. The smaller ones are harder to find but they are out there.

Specialty Manufacturing Brass Check Valves & Stainless Steel Check Valves

That may be the way I have to do it.

Thanks for the link.

I will look at them.

edit.

I looked and don't find one like the pic with 1/2 in barb fitting on both ends.
??
Old 13-12-2009, 18:30   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
What size is your hose?

You can take the top one of these and add brass screw-in barbs. These come in different sizes. This one is 3/8", which is the size of mine.

Old 15-12-2009, 17:14   #23

Quote:
What size is your hose?

You can take the top one of these and add brass screw-in barbs. These come in different sizes. This one is 3/8", which is the size of mine.

1/2 inch.
OK, I can screw in a barb.

Thanks.