Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2024, 20:19   #1

Help! Hydraulic swim platform won't raise

We recently took our 45' sailboat out and lowered the swim platform. It has a hydraulic pump that controls it, powered by an electric motor. It has a raise button and a lower button, and is a fairly simple setup.

Today I noticed that when lowering it, it wouldn't get itself started, so I gave it a little push that worked enough and it lowered normally. But when we went to raise it, the pump made sound as usual, but no movement of the swim platform itself. To me this signals the problem is with the hydraulics (and is not electrical). So I inspected the lazarette where the pump assembly is located and found significant amount of hydraulic fluid leaking out of what seems to be a loose fitting.

We were able to manually lift the platform and lash it closed with a spare line. But we have an upcoming weeks-long trip planned that will require use of the platform for launching the dinghy.

Any help would be much appreciated here. Can we simply tighten the fitting, refill the hydraulic fluid reservoir, and be on our way? Do I need to worry about air in the lines?

Attached is a photo of the hydraulic pump/valve/electric motor assembly. The leak was happening from where the central red valve connection tees off.

Separately, can anyone identify what the gauge is meant to measure? It's reading zero but I'm not sure if that is normal or what exactly it does there. And I'm not sure what the black knobs do either.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	290694  
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 21:43   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Help! Hydraulic swim platform won't raise

[QUOTE=silvercreek;3907318

Any help would be much appreciated here. Can we simply tighten the fitting, refill the hydraulic fluid reservoir, and be on our way? Do I need to worry about air in the lines?

Attached is a photo of the hydraulic pump/valve/electric motor assembly. The leak was happening from where the central red valve connection tees off.

Separately, can anyone identify what the gauge is meant to measure? It's reading zero but I'm not sure if that is normal or what exactly it does there. And I'm not sure what the black knobs do either.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

I would fix the leak, fill the reservoir, and cycle the system several times. It should self bleed. If there is a manual, it would be worth a read. The black knobs isolate the pump.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 08:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I would fix the leak, fill the reservoir, and cycle the system several times. It should self bleed. If there is a manual, it would be worth a read. The black knobs isolate the pump.
Thank you, I will give it a try. Unfortunately the manual is silent on the hydraulics.
Old 10-06-2024, 14:41   #4

New problem: there is no reservoir. The system must rely on just the small amount of fluid in the lines/pump housing? If so the issue is likely that it’s all leaked out.

Any ideas how to refill it?
Old 10-06-2024, 17:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The black knobs isolate the pump.

No! The black knobs are NOT block valves, they are flow control valves. Look closely at the symbols on the valves. They should not be adjusted unless you know what you are doing and why.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 18:00   #6

Update for anyone else that comes onto this thread with a similar issue. Found the reservoir. It’s part of the black assembly in the original photo. The “red knob” is actually the fill port for it. I filled it with fluid and the swim platform works.

What’s curious is that I can’t find the source of the leak… and the connections are tight (don’t budge even using a 6” wrench).
Old 10-06-2024, 18:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
No! The black knobs are NOT block valves, they are flow control valves. Look closely at the symbols on the valves. They should not be adjusted unless you know what you are doing and why.
I adjusted them, they seem to control how fast the platform raises/lowers. Any tips for helping me set them correctly? I assume the gauge is related to that.
Old 10-06-2024, 18:44   #8

Here is the label from the actuator piston. Translated to English, it says the max operating pressure is 2320 PSI. Not sure how to use this information to make the correct adjustments of the black knobs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	290748  

Tags
ais