Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 17:46   #1

Help ID this head?

This head is installed in the new to me 2003/2004 Boston Whaler Outrage 270. Trying to figure out who made it, and how the hell to work it! And of course, finding parts would be easier. And yes, my 4 year old peed in it. Sorry in advance. Partially why I'd like to know how to flush the damn thing!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7967.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	157838Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7968.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	157839Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7966.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	157840
CourageousME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 18:01   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Help ID this head?

Looks like a Raritan PH II with an electric flush.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 18:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Looks like a Raritan PH II with an electric flush.
Ok and the manual pump thingy is for when the electeic stops working or failed?
Old 16-10-2017, 19:45   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

YUUUUUUUUUP !!

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 20:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

It's a Raritan PHEII. The "E" means it's the electric version. the electric motor only replaces the pump HANDLE. There should be a flush button next to the toilet. Till you figure out why it doesn't work to flush the toilet, you can disconnect the motor and use a broom handle to pump it manually if the original has disappeared. You can also get a new one from Raritan. Fwiw, most people who've added the motor have regretted doing so enough that they've disconnected it permanently.

The owners manual is here: PH II Owner’s Manual You might want to spend a liittle time with it before doing anything else. Parts are still available. I strongly recommend you start with a rebuild kit (about $60). The kit for the version built after 6/92 (yours) is PHRKIIC.

First make sure the seacock on the flush water inlet valve is open. Then move the knob on the top to the flush position. But before pumping it, put about a tablespoon of veggie in the bowl to provide a little lubrication to the pump when you do, 'cuz if it's been sitting a while, it's likely to be pretty dried out.

The PHII has been the TOP rated manual toilet since it was introduced in the early '80s. If it's been neglected, it may need a part or two that's not in the kit, but they typically will last 20 years or more if just kept well lubricated and rebuilt about 5-6 years. So don't even THINK of just replacing it with a cheap toilet.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 04:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
It's a Raritan PHEII. The "E" means it's the electric version. the electric motor only replaces the pump HANDLE. There should be a flush button next to the toilet. Till you figure out why it doesn't work to flush the toilet, you can disconnect the motor and use a broom handle to pump it manually if the original has disappeared. You can also get a new one from Raritan. Fwiw, most people who've added the motor have regretted doing so enough that they've disconnected it permanently.

The owners manual is here: PH II Owner’s Manual You might want to spend a liittle time with it before doing anything else. Parts are still available. I strongly recommend you start with a rebuild kit (about $60). The kit for the version built after 6/92 (yours) is PHRKIIC.

First make sure the seacock on the flush water inlet valve is open. Then move the knob on the top to the flush position. But before pumping it, put about a tablespoon of veggie in the bowl to provide a little lubrication to the pump when you do, 'cuz if it's been sitting a while, it's likely to be pretty dried out.

The PHII has been the TOP rated manual toilet since it was introduced in the early '80s. If it's been neglected, it may need a part or two that's not in the kit, but they typically will last 20 years or more if just kept well lubricated and rebuilt about 5-6 years. So don't even THINK of just replacing it with a cheap toilet.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
SOOOO many thanks, Peggie. I am absolutely going to disconnect that motor- an unnecessary thing in my opinion. Im finding a few strange things with this boat that are not standard- it was a Coast Guard boat originally, and well- the govt doesnt like "standard" stuff hahaha. So a few weird things I have found, but she has a great hull and I just repowered her so everything else is not as important. Just want to get on the water and enjoy it. A working head, however- will keep the family happy and thats just as important!

Many thanks again!
Old 17-10-2017, 06:58   #7
Marine Service Provider

Glad I can help! You're welcome give me a shout via email any time you have a question or a problem you think I should be able to solve.

Btw...I suggest you also check the hoses for mineral buildup in 'em. Easy to clean out with a product called Sew Clean Sew Clean (Raritan sells the same thing under their private label brand name "C.H. Cleans Hoses.")
Old 17-10-2017, 07:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Always glad to help. You're welcome give me a shout any time you have a question or a problem you think I should be able to solve.

And btw...I recommend that you also check the hoses for sea water mineral buildup. It's easy to clean out using a product called Sew Clean Sew Clean (the same thing that Raritan sells as their private label brand name "C.H Cleans Hoses" for a lot more than you need to pay for Sew Clean.)

Peggie

Tags
head