Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 17:39   #1

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Help installing Dometic Moonlight 2 burner stove / cooker

I have bought a Dometic 2 burner Moonlight model however the installation instructions are totally useless (pages of warnings in multiple languages but with not a single actual instruction on installation or operation) and I just can't figure out where to connect the propane supply.

See pic
https://imgur.com/a/vdX5j

I have figured out the electrical connection for the igniter and oven light (over on the left) but there' is no fitting for the supply hose to screw onto. I've rolled the cooker over and over on all sides looking for anything that looks relevant and even removed the rear and bottom panels

The only thing I can find that may be the supply connection is an aluminum tube with about a 1/4-inch ID that exits the rear of the cooker and bends down 90-degrees. It has a little plastic removable cap on it too. There's no lip around the tube hole though so whatever you slide on the tube, can easily slide off...

Am I supposed to cut off the flare fitting on my supply hose and just try to slide the hose over this pipe or tube? Then secure it with some sort of clamp fitting?

Srsly Dometic? You can do better at least with instructions.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 18:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Help installing Dometic Moonlight 2 burner stove / cooker

I just went through their entire website ... a bizarre lack of information.
No where in their specifications do they mention thermocouples.

When I survey a boat without thermocouples and with gear clamps (many euro boats or very old NA boats) securing propane hoses I write them up in the survey. Insurance is routinely refused until the corrections are made.
Old 02-05-2017, 19:34   #3

The bottom of page 19 of their manual has the only reference to attaching the stove to the gas supply that appears in their installation manual (online version https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produc...#documentation)

"The gas supply pipe connected to the appliance must be a rigid metal pipe with sealed fittings. It is possible to fit a flexible hose, however, in this case the following conditions must be respected..."
Goes on to say the usual stuff about chafe and binding and such (also, the hose must not be longer than 1.5 meters!)

There's no mention of WHERE and HOW the hose is supposed to connect to the stove.
Old 04-05-2017, 15:56   #4

For future reference, you need this regulator to go with the Smev Dometic Moonlight stove

SMEV Cooking Appliance U.S. Pressure Adapter Kit
SMEV Cooking Appliance U.S. Pressure Adapter Kit - Straight

Tags
cooker, Dometic, galley, HOB, LPG, oven, propane, stove