Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 12:24   #31

Re: Help: punctured water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What is the name of that category of shop in order to find them in google or YP?
I'd expect you'd find them under something like plastics fabricators. It might take a couple of calls because this field has become very specialized but you'll end up at the right place. Just tell them what you want and you'll very quickly get told what they specialize in and if they're not interested because it's not really their field they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

I don't know a lot about the American market and its players but a company by the name of "Isco" is a major player who'd I'd expect to have outlets country wide. Any plumbing supply outlet would be able to direct anyone to the local fabricators.

These companies specialize in civil works, mining and to a lesser extent fabrication wise, irrigation. There's probably nothing they couldn't fix, redesign or custom build in polyethylene and polypropylene and if you find the right company any other plastic. If you want to go through the boss then if at all possible take the job to them because you won't like their field rates especially when you see how little time it takes to do your repair. Where I worked if you'd turned up with a tank wanting a drill hole repaired the boss probably wouldn't have charged anything because what you wanted was so insignificant. He's not every boss though.
In a fab workshop during working hours the repair would literally take a couple of minutes.
Another thing about these fab shops is they will stock poly pipe in straight lengths instead of the typical rolls of pipe that are a nightmare to work with. It'll be a bit more expensive but you'll only pay for what you need instead of a 20m/50m roll.
Tbonem17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 15:30   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

great stuff, thanks
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:06   #33

What about a closed end pop rivet? dope it a bit with sealant of choice and pop it in the hole.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:05   #34

I would suggest patching hole with a small disc of like material (polyethelene) friction welded over the hole. I have purchased numerous PE tanks from Ronco Plastics in California. They install their threaded PE inlet/outlet tank fittings with a drill motor and tool that spins the fitting against the tank, creating friction and heat--easily welding both pieces together. I believe this is standard procedure with most PE tank manufacturers. Look at any "off the shelf" tank at a marine supply store for evidence of this type of weld (or contact Ronco Plastic --ronco-plastics.com--phone 714-259-1385 )
good luck with your repair!
ja62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:36   #35

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja62 View Post
...Ronco Plastics in California. They install their threaded PE inlet/outlet tank fittings with a drill motor and tool that spins the fitting against the tank...
They use a router.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
I did a real bonehead maneuver. I was drilling a pilot hole (5/32) for a screw through some glass/core under the settee and went to far, puncturing the water tank on the other side. I have since cut away a square access port and have access to the hole. It is near the bottom of the tank. It is a 47 gal polyethylene tank. I am trying to decide how best to repair it, knowing that not much sticks to polyethylene. But it is just a small hole and it seems that there should be something I can fill it with.

1. fill with an epoxy or adhesive. I have 5200 and I bought some JB Weld Plastic Bonder 2-part urethane adhesive. Does 5200 stick to polyethylene?

2. Use some sort of hot knife and fill with a blob of molten plastic

3. drill, tap and screw a nylon machine screw into the threaded hole with some sort of thread sealant.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
When you buy these tanks they usually come without fittings until you decide what kind and where you want them located. Call the local retailer and ask them what fitting you can drill and install..
erie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 00:42   #37

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

Get a Barton Clamseal inflatable boat repair clamp - shouldn't cost more than US$20.
Enlarge the hole slightly to slip one half inside then screw/clamp tight the outer half and you have a water/air tight repair. Job done in a under five minutes

Tags
water