Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2011, 16:46   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Oh, the complete boxes.... Many of those have just 1" of not-too-good foam or so, which wont work so well in the tropics. Even 2" foam for a fridge is experienced as a failure by most cruisers in the tropics. Many think it broke on the sail to the tropics, but the only thing that changed is the climate.

4" foam for the fridge and 6" foam for the freezer is considered pretty good.

Now, if you hav a real expensive ready to use box, it might have vacuum panels for insulation....

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 17:08   #47

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Help with Refrigeration Decisions . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Oh, the complete boxes.... Many of those have just 1" of not-too-good foam or so, which wont work so well in the tropics.
Of course you are correct, but then homes in the tropics have the same style of refrigeration and they do seem to cope ok.
I imagine they do so by using more electrickery, so on a boat, that = more panels.

You have to remember that I am a powered vessel and have an roof area that can take up to 20 x 190w panels if required

Fridge is cheap (and has nice shelves and draws)
Panels are cheap
Custom built 12 volt refrigeration (in Australia) is hideously expensive

Quote:
Even 2" foam for a fridge is experienced as a failure by most cruisers in the tropics. Many think it broke on the sail to the tropics, but the only thing that changed is the climate.

4" foam for the fridge and 6" foam for the freezer is considered pretty good.
I totally agree and this may be one of the things I need to wait until out of country to get.
For the 6mths between launch and checkout I was thinking one of these things may do.
Maybe 2 of the upright freezers, one turned down as a fridge the other as beer and freeze.
At least the air doesn't fall out and the insulation is thicker.
Old 22-12-2011, 17:14   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Of course you are correct, but then homes in the tropics have the same style of refrigeration and they do seem to cope ok.
I imagine they do so by using more electrickery, so on a boat, that = more panels.
Actually, in the tropics they sell fridges and freezers with more insulation. We actually call them "tropics fridge" in Dutch. Not that we need those in Holland... but did in former colonies and still the Dutch Caribbean now.

I agree that, for getting away, these boxes will do and a good one like from Engel will go far.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 19:30   #49

A fridge up against the hull has a whole different life than one in a more gentle living space. Our fridge was up against the engine compartment and sat 3/4 under the waterline. When the water temp is 80 degrees that fridge is working really hard. I'm not a thermodynamics expert but I'd imagine the 80 degrees of water is a lot harder to handle than 80 degree air. Hulls are also exposed to the sun so they get additional heat from there.

It seems fairly straight forward that you'd need a lot more insulation up against stuff like that then you would the Engel, perhaps sitting in the shade back in a quarter berth.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 13:28   #50

Boat: Downeast 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
That's basically my calculations as well, but (1) you apparently work faster than I, and (2) you left off Option C:

2 engels
- cost: $12000 + 3 hours of labor
- electric usage: 20 - 30 40-60 AH / day
- end up with small refrigerator and no a small freezer, or two fridges, or two freezers, or a backup
- reclaim a very large slightly smallerand ideally positioned storage area in the kitchen
On our DE 38 the compressor for the fridge is behind the kitchen aft bulkhead in the engine room. The freezer compressor is under the sink.
SV Dulcinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 15:53   #51

Can anyone tell me what model replaces the Norcold De251E?
Alexanagnos65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration