Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 06:44   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
High current? Vitrifrigo top-loading freezer

Our Bene Oceanis 45 has a Vitrifrigo top-loading freezer model number BN85BT *BNT*.

I suspect this model designation applies to the Beneteau version, because I am having not much luck tracking down info.

In any case, it has a Danfoss BD50F compressor running at 12V, though the info plate says 12-24V. The information plate shows 4.4/2.2 Amps and so I'm presuming the 2.2A applies to 24V operation.

In any case, this unit is drawing more like 8 amps when running, and it seems to run with a very high duty cycle. It has had more than one evacuate and fill due to leaks, so I am concerned about contamination, and maybe lack of lubrication? (The evaporator plate does get frost-covered fairly quickly).

That's the first problem: High current when running.

Furthermore, this freezer has a rather small evaporator plate. We have been told that these units normally have a larger "wraparound" evaporator and so, a small evaporator, even if properly cold, may struggle to get down to the thermostat set-point, leading to very high duty-cycles.

That's the second problem: High (close to 100%) duty cycle.

Together, these problems dominate our power use and so we are using the thing as and ice-box with pump-out....

I hate to throw things away, but with the constellation of concerns, I am contemplating a replacement. But, if all that's needed is a *proper* evacuate and fill, then that would be great..

Advice appreciated.
Doug.
P.S. Is there lubricant added separately from the coolant in these systems?
Old Today, 07:09   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: High current? Vitrifrigo top-loading freezer

Danfoss BD 50 is a solid long lasting unit. Refrigerant must be exactly right, not too much not to little. If leak repairs are carried out on the boat, the mechanic needs to come back next day to re-test. He should have resoldered the leak (usually at the quick connect fittings) and inserted a new filter plus 100% evacuated it and replenished with new gas. On a floating platform with such tiny quantities it is difficult to get spot on in a short space of time. Next time remove fridge and take to a workshop. There is also a compressor speed chip that can be inserted on the controller bottom pin that can either slow down (less amps) or speed up the compreesor (more amps , more cooling/freezing) Mechanic bill should only be about 10% of new fridge price. I am not a fridge mechanic only repeating what a work shop did for and explained to me and he was right. - Good Luck
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, freezer, loa