Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 16:55   #1

High pressure pump water maker

I need help plumbing this high pressure pump. It came with my boat as part of a HRO Watermaker minipack.t

I was told the rest of the system was not repairable but that this 24 pump was good.

Can one of you with more experience than me show me how to plumb this to a high pressure membrane to make a new water maker?

there are two in’s and one out. Note the bottom right out is plugged. What are there two in’s?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E41D66E6-27D5-42AF-88C1-C86633436D0E.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	217916  
dm567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 17:00   #2

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: High pressure pump water maker

Two ports for in and out is just for plumbing convenience - you can use either side and plug the other. So a left in/left out works as does any other combination, left in right out, right in left out, etc.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 17:33   #3

Boat: Riva 48

You feed seawater (from the engine intake, after the strainer to one of the input ports. You plug the second input port. The first output port goes to the high pressure vessel. The second output port you can either plug or put your high pressure gauge there. After the pressure vessel, you install a needle valve. Ideally, you want to install a high pressure kill switch (the second pump output port can be used for that, then move the gauge after the pressure vessel) and a pressure regulator or a relief valve. If you have those, install them anywhere in the high pressure circuit.

You also need a filter between the strainer and the pressure pump input.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 21:44   #4

Thanks Cassidy and pizzazz

I wonder why both inlet ports were open on the system. The other have fittings and no plug. Not important.

Should the high pressure kill switch be at 1000 psi? Or more? And do you know where I can find one? I found this one.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...S4bnp7QTG80%3D

It says adjustable; how do you adjust it?
Old 23-06-2020, 07:15   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm567 View Post
Thanks Cassidy and pizzazz

I wonder why both inlet ports were open on the system. The other have fittings and no plug. Not important.

Should the high pressure kill switch be at 1000 psi? Or more? And do you know where I can find one? I found this one.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...S4bnp7QTG80%3D

It says adjustable; how do you adjust it?
That pressure switch is adjustable. The adjuster is in the center, between the terminals. Note the switch is for a max of 42 vdc, meaning you can use 12 vdc, but not 110v. Thus you will need to connect the switch to a relay that can handle the 110v pump load. Typical pressure vessels are rated to 1,000 psi. If it were me, I would set the switch to 950 psi to be safe. Many simple RO systems do not have a HP cutoff switch. Using an HP cutoff is safer, but if you are careful and watch your pressure, you will be OK.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 10:30   #6

The pump is 24 volts.

Any suggestions on finding a readily available high pressure hose from the pump to the membrane housing?
Old 23-06-2020, 11:35   #7

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm567 View Post
The pump is 24 volts.

Any suggestions on finding a readily available high pressure hose from the pump to the membrane housing?
How much of this system do you have that actually works? I'm thinking this may end up costing more than a new unit and be way more hassle than it's worth. If everything else is worn out, I wonder how long that pump is good for?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 23:51   #8

I already have a new water maker from echo-tec installed to replace this one. It’s a 220 unit.

This 24 volt water maker that was removed had very little use., but parts were no longer available.

I need a project, so I wanted to build a water maker around this 24 volt pump that I believe is a quality pump in good condition. If I buy a 400 hundred dollar pressure vessel and some plumbing I can put together a simple water maker and learn a great deal at the same time.

My new system and the old system are overly complex. I may like a simple system better.
Old 24-06-2020, 13:30   #9

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Look online for designs for a watermaker using a high pressure washdown pump. Design is the same just some of the pieces will be for different voltages and your pump will be different but the design is the same.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 14:32   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My high pressure safety was a relief valve that opened at a preset pressure, my membranes are rated to 1,000 PSI, so that would a logical set point.
However I removed mine, it’s just not hard at all to make sure you never, ever get close to 1,000 PSI.
I wouldn’t bother with one myself, but wonder since you have two open ports if that’s not the HP side, cause normally both HP ports are used, one for the hose the other for the safety valve.

I would not want an electric safety switch, the reason is reach the cut off pressure, pump goes off, pressure drops, pump comes back on, and hammering a membrane from low pressure to 1,000 PSI suddenly is likely to destroy it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 13:55   #11

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I have a complete system, removed from a power boat, was working, all component's are there, pump,[ like you have], membrane, control, all filters, hoses,valves, yours for $500 buck's. If interested my email <dptiffany@hotmail.com>.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 14:38   #12

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I have a pop off valve set to 950 psi. It's not that important on a hydraulic system safety wise but is on a pneumatic system. I almost didn't put it on but finally decided to in case someone else uses the water maker. Cutting off the water flow out of the HP pump would ruin it instantly.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water